+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage certificate - is officiant copy sufficient?

dj1118

Nov 23, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 1, 2009
File Transfer...
To Vancouver local office - Sept 2010
Interview........
Dec 10, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
AIP - Jan 2011
LANDED..........
March 7, 2011
My husband and I got married last week in BC and due to police certificate expiring soon we need to mail our package out asap. We only have the handwritten marriage certificate provided to us by the officant at the time of the ceremony. We probably won't receive our legal certificate in the mail for another 2 weeks from statistics Canada. Does anyone know if the handwritten certificate from the officiant will sufficent or MUST it be the legal certificate? Or is there anyway to rush the legal certificate?

Thanks lots!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any certificate submitted to CIC should be legal.
dj1118 said:
My husband and I got married last week in BC and due to police certificate expiring soon we need to mail our package out asap. We only have the handwritten marriage certificate provided to us by the officant at the time of the ceremony. We probably won't receive our legal certificate in the mail for another 2 weeks from statistics Canada. Does anyone know if the handwritten certificate from the officiant will sufficent or MUST it be the legal certificate? Or is there anyway to rush the legal certificate?

Thanks lots!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What you get from the officiant is not a marriage certificate; only the legal copy you get from the province after it has been registered.

However, you can send in with the officiant's copy and a letter that says you will follow-up with a copy of the proper certificate once you have received it.