+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage certificate for Indian citizens for spousal sponsorship

sd0904

Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

The specification while submitting marriage certificate as a supporting document says: "For spousal sponsorships, make sure you include a valid marriage certificate or proof of registration of your marriage with your application. The documents you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place."

My question is what exactly it means when they say the marriage has to be legally registered with the Govt.
As an Indian citizen applying for spousal sponsorship, after having the marriage certificate from the marriage register's office with his/her official seal, is there anything extra has to be done to prove that it is legally registered with the Government.

If anyone has already applied and received PR in this category, any input from them will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

sd0904

Oct 27, 2017
Its just Marriage certificate that is required nothing else.Its the only legal document proving marriage.
Hello goingtosuccess,

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate your reply.
Have you done that yourself and was successful?

I was researching a bit here. I want opinion about this discussion (pasting the link here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-renewal-and-marriage-certificate-bls-toronto.296698/)---nothing of this sort needs to be done, right?

any reply/answer is appreciated.

Thanks again.

goingtosuccess

Jul 31, 2017
Hello goingtosuccess,

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate your reply.
Have you done that yourself and was successful?

I was researching a bit here. I want opinion about this discussion (pasting the link here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-renewal-and-marriage-certificate-bls-toronto.296698/)---nothing of this sort needs to be done, right?

any reply/answer is appreciated.

Thanks again.
This link is not opening up it shows error and says request page could not be found

goingtosuccess

Jul 31, 2017
Some say you have to put spouse name on your passport.That is not necessary if sponsored person is male.If sponsored is female you should go for it.

sd0904

Oct 27, 2017
Some say you have to put spouse name on your passport.That is not necessary if sponsored person is male.If sponsored is female you should go for it.
Hi goingtosuccess,

thank you again for your reply.

This link I sent is more about changing the name of the spouse in the passport, not much for submitting the marriage certificate for spousal immigration to CIC/IRCC.
While changing the name of the spouse in passport, the marriage certificate needs to certified by the ministry of external affairs and goes through proper channel which requires hell lot of time as you know in India. I was just confused whether for spousal visa it needs to be done in the same way or its simple, i.e., nothing needed to be done extra; just needed to know what others are doing.

Thank you again for taking your time to reply.

goingtosuccess

Jul 31, 2017
i dont think so marriage certificate has to be certifies by external ministry. one can just add the name at local passport office by filling form and taking appointment online

dainvinci008

Dec 3, 2017
Hi, from whatever I have read you don't need the stamp from Ministry of External Affairs, unless you are applying for an OCI.

I had a question for you as well. I am assuming you are a Canadian PR and your spouse is an Indian Citizen. What address did you provide for your marriage certificate? I have seen some samples of Marriage certificates where there is a Permanent Address and Present Address. So for "Permanent Address" did you give your Canadian Address and your Indian address for "Present"? And what kind of proof did you apply for your permanent address? Would a Canadian DL or PR card work. My passport was issued in Canada, but I don't live in the same address anymore.

Did you provide any kind of evidence for "documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days" - One of the parties getting married has to be residing in the district where they are registering, for a period of 30 days. In my case, neither me nor my fiancee resides in the district we are getting married in (but both of our families live there). I am wondering what kind of proof people provide to show that I have lived in the district for 30 days. I have all Indian documents with my home address - Aadhar, Indian DL, Voter Card etc. Would they look for Visa stamps to confirm I have lived there for 30 days?

Jan 26, 2020
Hello all,

I've got married in India in Chandigarh and I'm from other state. As Chandigarh administration was taking longer time for marriage certificate so we registered it in other state and now on marriage certificate the place of marriage is not Chandigarh, coz the other state administration mentioned their own state name. Will that be a problem for me.
Thanks

Kay1990

Star Member
Jul 21, 2021
Hello all,

I've got married in India in Chandigarh and I'm from other state. As Chandigarh administration was taking longer time for marriage certificate so we registered it in other state and now on marriage certificate the place of marriage is not Chandigarh, coz the other state administration mentioned their own state name. Will that be a problem for me.
Thanks
Hi. Did you get approval for you spousal Pr? Mine is Himachali Marriage certificate under registrar of Himachal...I was wondering if that will work

Star Member
Jan 11, 2021
Does not matter, u should just be legally married , that's it , even u can go and marry in other country , it's just that ur relationship should b genuine