+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage and then what exactly ??!!

Jazmali

Jul 11, 2017
My partner and l have decided to get married........after 2 yrs. We have had enough ! We want to be together. So the facts......18 month friendship turned into love. So we want to get married in Dubai...
I am a Canadian and he is Egyptian.....we will marry at the English embassy or consulate. All we want is to star our life and journey together.

There is a twist however...l am 23 years older than he is....of course we do not care !! However the rest of the world seems to have a different suggestion. !!!So having said this......will the Canadian government from upon this.

What do l do when he gets there....once we are married he will need a place to go since ha cannot go back to Canada with me !!!!! Do l apply for a visitor visa....a spouse sponsorship ....lm not sure o

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Generally, for Canada to recognize the marriage it must be valid in the country in which it was performed. If it was performed at a foreign embassy my understanding is that you are still in the UAE and it would have to be a valid marriage under Emerati law. I stand to be corrected on this point.

Would you be able to have it certified and recognized in the UAE?

Are you currently in UAE, and can you stay there? As a Canadian you can remain with your partner and do an outland sponsorship from Dubai as long as you can show your intent to relocate to Canada. This way you can stay with your partner in Dubai while awaiting approval (subject to legal status in Dubai, of course).

Should you return to Canada and wish for your partner to receive a visitor visa, your partner would have to show significant ties (and legal status) to another country and convince the Canadian visa officers of his intent to leave Canada when he says he will. TRVs do get refused for spouses and partners while their PR applications are in process, so you would have to be prepared for that possibility.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My partner and l have decided to get married........after 2 yrs. We have had enough ! We want to be together. So the facts......18 month friendship turned into love. So we want to get married in Dubai...
I am a Canadian and he is Egyptian.....we will marry at the English embassy or consulate. All we want is to star our life and journey together.

There is a twist however...l am 23 years older than he is....of course we do not care !! However the rest of the world seems to have a different suggestion. !!!So having said this......will the Canadian government from upon this.

What do l do when he gets there....once we are married he will need a place to go since ha cannot go back to Canada with me !!!!! Do l apply for a visitor visa....a spouse sponsorship ....lm not sure o
Yes, the age difference is a huge red flag.

What is the relationship background and timeline? How did you meet? How much time have you spent together in person? Do you have the same religion, culture, education levels? Do you have a common language?

M

mikeymyke

Yes, the age difference is a huge red flag.

What is the relationship background and timeline? How did you meet? How much time have you spent together in person? Do you have the same religion, culture, education levels? Do you have a common language?
Yes all those things mentioned are very important. However you also keep referring to him as a family friend in previous posts not too long ago, rather than as your fiance, also you kept trying to have him come here first as student, then as a visitor, and he also has relatives here, so is this a love marriage or not?

And also you mentioned he has no interest in living here due to his career, keep in mind the application will be refused if he has no intentions of living here long term

Jazmali

Jul 11, 2017
Generally, for Canada to recognize the marriage it must be valid in the country in which it was performed. If it was performed at a foreign embassy my understanding is that you are still in the UAE and it would have to be a valid marriage under Emerati law. I stand to be corrected on this point.

Would you be able to have it certified and recognized in the UAE?

Are you currently in UAE, and can you stay there? As a Canadian you can remain with your partner and do an outland sponsorship from Dubai as long as you can show your intent to relocate to Canada. This way you can stay with your partner in Dubai while awaiting approval (subject to legal status in Dubai, of course).

Should you return to Canada and wish for your partner to receive a visitor visa, your partner would have to show significant ties (and legal status) to another country and convince the Canadian visa officers of his intent to leave Canada when he says he will. TRVs do get refused for spouses and partners while their PR applications are in process, so you would have to be prepared for that possibility.
My partner is Muslim ....l am of Arabic decent but l am not a practising Muslim

Yes we have been told by officials....that we must get married under canadian law...whether it was embassy or consolation l don't recall at the moment

This is real ...so l cannot do anything about whether they think it maybe legit.

We both know what obstacles we have overcome. We are in love..best friends...and neither cares how old the other is.

We just want to be together....we are both Arabic....speak French and English together....our culture Sam 101...same faith....he is Egyptian l am Algerian.we have met 3 times throughout work.

Kept talking....now l cannot stay in Dubai.
So how do

Jazmali

Jul 11, 2017
Yes this is correct........l did indeed refer to him as a family friend. ...LET'S BE CLEAR......that's is what l said. !!

Looking at different visa's was me trying to figure out what way would be best for us simply because of his studies. So details are not the issue.....that's our business. He does not have family here. I never said this I did say we are long family friends between parents.
So we have decided it was all to much stress.....so he will study in Dubai and we will get married there and l will work there as well for 3 months and then come home and continue a spouse visa.

This is how it needs to be. Since we have such obstacles in front of us

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Yes this is correct........l did indeed refer to him as a family friend. ...LET'S BE CLEAR......that's is what l said. !!

Looking at different visa's was me trying to figure out what way would be best for us simply because of his studies. So details are not the issue.....that's our business. He does not have family here. I never said this I did say we are long family friends between parents.
So we have decided it was all to much stress.....so he will study in Dubai and we will get married there and l will work there as well for 3 months and then come home and continue a spouse visa.

This is how it needs to be. Since we have such obstacles in front of us
Yes you have red flags. I am also significantly older than my partner and we are not married. We applied under common-law status and have been together for about 6 years now. We are about 8.5 months into the spousal sponsorship process and so far we have not been asked to go for an interview yet. We hope we won't have to go for one and that our process will be over with before the end of the year.

Make sure your marriage is legally recognized in Canada. Even if you are married, you need enough proof of being committed to each other that is also culturally acceptable. It is more difficult to provide evidence when you have not had the opportunity to live together. If you are able to include him as a beneficiary in life insurance policies, shared bank accounts/credit cards and having your names on a lease/rental agreement for the short time you are able to live together, make sure to do that. These things are important to any proof of relationship, but I would say even mores when you have red flags like significant age difference and a marriage that is fairly new, especially after being friends for a period of time previously.

I am just sharing my experience to let you know that so far in our GCMS notes they have not red-flagged our relationship due to the age difference because I think we provided a lot of evidence (including 6 or 7 visits we made to see each other while we were apart also). If you can do that, there is less of a chance they will flag your application and also to be called for an interview.

Good luck with this process. It is always more stressful when you have red flags in your relationship.

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
@Jazmali
In beginning we realized a red flag might come on our case but just keep optimistic..
My Canadian husband and i also having a big gap on our age (more than 25years) but we can give a solid evidence to Canadian goverment that we married based on love and so far everything is fine. We knew online for 5months, he came visited me and we married in my country. a year&half later (he visited me 2times only bcs both us were working in own country ) i applied TRV than at the 7th month in Canada we applied for my PR inland& OWP and after waiting for 13month which is next week we will have landing appointment :) Before that we did as @majesty did such as shared bank accounts/credit cards, having our names on a lease agreement etc..
Dont worry too much and good luck

Last edited:

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
@Jazmali
In beginning we realized a red flag might come on our case but just keep optimistic..
My Canadian husband and i also having a big gap on our age (more than 25years) but we can give a solid evidence to Canadian goverment that we married based on love and so far everything is fine. We knew online for 5months, he came visited me and we married in my country. a year&half later (he visited me 2times only bcs both us were working in own country ) i applied TRV than at the 7th month in Canada we applied for my PR inland& OWP and after waiting for 13month which is next week we will have landing appointment :) Before that we did as @majesty did such as shared bank accounts/credit cards, having our names on a lease agreement etc..
Dont worry too much and good luck
congrats to you! that is great for you guys! I hope we will follow suit soon. I take it that you did not need an interview (which decreases the stress levels as well as the time for processing)?

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
congrats to you! that is great for you guys! I hope we will follow suit soon. I take it that you did not need an interview (which decreases the stress levels as well as the time for processing)?
Thank you @majesty i believe you will get it soon.
Thanks God, no we didnt have such interview. A month before DM, CIC sent us a letter to upload proof of cohabitation so we sent some docs as mentioned by you previously such as joint account etc...

In advance we sent alot of evidence of our genuine relationship and i guess thts enough to convince them.

I wish the best for your case

Reactions: majesty

Jazmali

Jul 11, 2017
Yes you have red flags. I am also significantly older than my partner and we are not married. We applied under common-law status and have been together for about 6 years now. We are about 8.5 months into the spousal sponsorship process and so far we have not been asked to go for an interview yet. We hope we won't have to go for one and that our process will be over with before the end of the year.

Make sure your marriage is legally recognized in Canada. Even if you are married, you need enough proof of being committed to each other that is also culturally acceptable. It is more difficult to provide evidence when you have not had the opportunity to live together. If you are able to include him as a beneficiary in life insurance policies, shared bank accounts/credit cards and having your names on a lease/rental agreement for the short time you are able to live together, make sure to do that. These things are important to any proof of relationship, but I would say even mores when you have red flags like significant age difference and a marriage that is fairly new, especially after being friends for a period of time previously.

I am just sharing my experience to let you know that so far in our GCMS notes they have not red-flagged our relationship due to the age difference because I think we provided a lot of evidence (including 6 or 7 visits we made to see each other while we were apart also). If you can do that, there is less of a chance they will flag your application and also to be called for an interview.

Good luck with this process. It is always more stressful when you have red flags in your relationship.

Jazmali

Jul 11, 2017
Thank you so much for replying....thus so helpful thank you !!!! My partner and l have been friends for almost 2 years....it's the last 6 months that has hit us with this thing where we are so connected on such a level l have not experienced and l just won't give up or give into the age madness!! If men can do it...why can't we.....and l certainly did not intend for this.....

But l am the happiest l have ever been.....so yes l will marry my bet friend and love. I will do this in UA !! He will then work there for one year. But meantime l will apply for spousal sponsorship. Since he cannot come home to Toronto with me until this process is completed and hopefully accepted. There have been many obstacles in front of us. But we will not give up....we are both determined to build this life together.

I'm sorry....you are not married yet...so you both met here in Canada. I'm sorry l don't mean to be nosy. But we are so needing guidance from a level of someone who has been through it or are further along then we are! !!! Any more you can offer would be appreciated

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
Thank you so much for replying....thus so helpful thank you !!!! My partner and l have been friends for almost 2 years....it's the last 6 months that has hit us with this thing where we are so connected on such a level l have not experienced and l just won't give up or give into the age madness!! If men can do it...why can't we.....and l certainly did not intend for this.....

But l am the happiest l have ever been.....so yes l will marry my bet friend and love. I will do this in UA !! He will then work there for one year. But meantime l will apply for spousal sponsorship. Since he cannot come home to Toronto with me until this process is completed and hopefully accepted. There have been many obstacles in front of us. But we will not give up....we are both determined to build this life together.

I'm sorry....you are not married yet...so you both met here in Canada. I'm sorry l don't mean to be nosy. But we are so needing guidance from a level of someone who has been through it or are further along then we are! !!! Any more you can offer would be appreciated
Im with you @Jazmali
One that i almost forgot, in beginning we used lawyer for outland PR but we felt she worked soooo slow so we fired her :) plan changed and i leave everything backhome. Its not a sacrifice but for love you can do anything :)

Big note, when you start to apply please submit solid evidence about your relationship.
print all communications in between since begining of relation, picts with family and when both in vacation etc, bills to buy gifts each other, plane ticket for visiting each other and any proof that can ensure CIC.
Good luck

Last edited:

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)

I don't know the outcome of our application yet, but so far have not been asked to go for interview. It seems that they are processing people in about 9 - 12 months on average at the Mexico City VO, even for those who applied before Dec 7, 2016. So we are really hopeful it will happen by the end of this year ... although I have learned from this experience that nothing is a sure thing. (We are nearing the 9 month mark).

Regarding what else we did, we did go and seek the advice of an immigration consultant. We did not make the application through her but we got her to review for a fee our package before we sent it off. We actually did not end up using those forms as they were the old application form and we decided to go with the new ones, so we re-did the forms, but her suggestions came in handy.

We spent many months collecting all the info for the documents required. We had the added hassle of having to translate my partner's documents from Spanish into English. Because there were about 7 visits we had over the years to see each other since we cohabited together until the time we applied, we there was a lot of work involved in photocopying passport stamps, travel itineraries/boarding passes and finding pictures to document these visits. I think this was really difficult as we had been apart 3.5 years and we had so many pictures and countless communications through WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype and emails to go through as well as phone logs through WhatsApp.

Try to send them a variety of communications. I think we may have even sent them a text when we were having a disagreement. Pictures we sent showed proof of where we went together (mostly vacations we would see each other). We also included pictures where we were with family and friends and one with my son who we will live with to round out the 20 photos required.

We did include letters we each wrote explaining our relationship and how we met and how our age difference was not a significant factor in our relationship. We were told by the immigration consultant to write these letters even though there is no mention of needing them even in the old application. However, since we had already written them, we decided to still submit them in the new application we sent. I don't know if they even read them, however. We also got 3 friends to write us letters of support but we did not get these notarized. So far they have not asked us to do so.

I'm not sure what other advice I can give you. Just provide proof that will give evidence of as many aspects of your relationship as you can and provide a picture for them to see how it evolved from the beginning to the stage you are at now. That is what we tried to do so that they can see our relationship is enduring and therefore genuine.

I do believe that the evidence for common-law couples is slightly different from married ones. They seem to ask for more evidence, however I think it acted in our favour as it shows we have our affairs more interdependent.

We did not want to get married at this stage for a number of reasons, including the fact that I had just gotten divorced and I am not quite ready to go down the marriage road again. In time, we may explore the possibility of marriage, but hopefully we can be together first and do it when the time is right.

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
I don't know the outcome of our application yet, but so far have not been asked to go for interview. It seems that they are processing people in about 9 - 12 months on average at the Mexico City VO, even for those who applied before Dec 7, 2016. So we are really hopeful it will happen by the end of this year ... although I have learned from this experience that nothing is a sure thing. (We are nearing the 9 month mark).

Regarding what else we did, we did go and seek the advice of an immigration consultant. We did not make the application through her but we got her to review for a fee our package before we sent it off. We actually did not end up using those forms as they were the old application form and we decided to go with the new ones, so we re-did the forms, but her suggestions came in handy.

We spent many months collecting all the info for the documents required. We had the added hassle of having to translate my partner's documents from Spanish into English. Because there were about 7 visits we had over the years to see each other since we cohabited together until the time we applied, we there was a lot of work involved in photocopying passport stamps, travel itineraries/boarding passes and finding pictures to document these visits. I think this was really difficult as we had been apart 3.5 years and we had so many pictures and countless communications through WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype and emails to go through as well as phone logs through WhatsApp.

Try to send them a variety of communications. I think we may have even sent them a text when we were having a disagreement. Pictures we sent showed proof of where we went together (mostly vacations we would see each other). We also included pictures where we were with family and friends and one with my son who we will live with to round out the 20 photos required.

We did include letters we each wrote explaining our relationship and how we met and how our age difference was not a significant factor in our relationship. We were told by the immigration consultant to write these letters even though there is no mention of needing them even in the old application. However, since we had already written them, we decided to still submit them in the new application we sent. I don't know if they even read them, however. We also got 3 friends to write us letters of support but we did not get these notarized. So far they have not asked us to do so.

I'm not sure what other advice I can give you. Just provide proof that will give evidence of as many aspects of your relationship as you can and provide a picture for them to see how it evolved from the beginning to the stage you are at now. That is what we tried to do so that they can see our relationship is enduring and therefore genuine.

I do believe that the evidence for common-law couples is slightly different from married ones. They seem to ask for more evidence, however I think it acted in our favour as it shows we have our affairs more interdependent.

We did not want to get married at this stage for a number of reasons, including the fact that I had just gotten divorced and I am not quite ready to go down the marriage road again. In time, we may explore the possibility of marriage, but hopefully we can be together first and do it when the time is right.
In Canada, married or commonlaw has the same level so dont worry at all.

i wonder did u provide IMM5409 bcs its consider as marriage certificate for common law