+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after receiving study visa, but before entering to Canada

mandy1991

Jun 11, 2018
Hi,

I'm applying for study permit. My future partner is currently living in Canada on PGWP. My partner will come to India to get married, then we both will go to Canada together.
Would it negatively affect my study visa or my partner's PGWP/PR file? Can visa authority at Canada airport deny my entry due the fact that I got married after getting study visa?
I also heard from someone that I can just update my marital status when landing to Canada with visa authority at airport without any issue. Is that correct?
Please advise.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I'm applying for study permit. My future partner is currently living in Canada on PGWP. My partner will come to India to get married, then we both will go to Canada together.
Would it negatively affect my study visa or my partner's PGWP/PR file? Can visa authority at Canada airport deny my entry due the fact that I got married after getting study visa? Please advise.

Thanks!
So you have an approved study permit? If so update your information once married. Don’t enter married with single on your file.

Reactions: aspirant256

mandy1991

Jun 11, 2018
So you have an approved study permit? If so update your information once married. Don’t enter married with single on your file.
Thanks for your reply. How to update the information after getting married? Do I have to submit a web form? Do I have to wait for the approval of the web form or I can just enter to Canada after submitting the form?

I also heard from someone that I can just update my marital status when landing to Canada with visa authority at airport without any issue. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your reply. How to update the information after getting married? Do I have to submit a web form? Do I have to wait for the approval of the web form or I can just enter to Canada after submitting the form?

Raise webform updating family information, you can attach marriage certificate. Have you been approved Study permit?

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Thank you! No, I haven't applied for the study permit yet. I wanted to plan out the process first.
There could be three options:
1. Marry in India and apply for a spousal visa.
2. Goto Canada on a study permit and then marry inside Canada.
3. Marry in India and inform IRCC.
I would choose option 1.

mandy1991

Jun 11, 2018
There could be three options:
1. Marry in India and apply for a spousal visa.
2. Goto Canada on a study permit and then marry inside Canada.
3. Marry in India and inform IRCC.
I would choose option 1.
Currently processing time for spousal visa is too long. Could there be any complications in option#3 in your opinion?

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
What happens if you get married while still on a study permit, or PGWP for that matter?
Will you new spouse be able to come live with you in Canada?

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Can’t you just apply together as common-law partners and then get married later?
I am Asian, and we dun have things like 'Common Law' marriages.
Its either you're married, or you're fugging not.

Hell, you can ask around, 11 out of 10, people here wun even have a freaking understanding just wtf Common Law marriages are.
You'll be pulling your hair out just trying to explain to them the concept.

wakongah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2022
I am Asian, and we dun have things like 'Common Law' marriages.
Its either you're married, or you're fugging not.

Hell, you can ask around, 11 out of 10, people here wun even have a freaking understanding just wtf Common Law marriages are.
You'll be pulling your hair out just trying to explain to them the concept.
Shouldn’t matter as long as you qualify as common-law partners in Canada, right?

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Shouldn’t matter as long as you qualify as common-law partners in Canada, right?
In a manner of speaking, yes.
But here in Asia, its actually TABOO to cohabit together unless you are actually married !

Asia culture does not promote nor glorify this 'limbo' sort of relationship thingy either. LGBT is not recognized also.
I dun think you can get issued a common law marriage certification at the marriage agencies throughout Asia as well.

So it'll be hard to even prove to Canadian authorities that you are a common law couple.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
But here in Asia, its actually TABOO to cohabit together unless you are actually married !

Asia culture does not promote nor glorify this 'limbo' sort of relationship thingy either. LGBT is not recognized also.
I dun think you can get issued a common law marriage certification at the marriage agencies throughout Asia as well.

So it'll be hard to even prove to Canadian authorities that you are a common law couple.
Well, you are complicating it. As long as you can prove with evidence, it doesn't matter what is culture unacceptable. Even married couples have to show pictures of their wedding apart from marriage registration documents. If you provide them with the evidence required to prove common law partner then there is no issue.

Reactions: wakongah

wakongah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2022

No need to lecture me about Asian culture, I’ve been living it for 30+ years. By the way, cohabiting is becoming more common in certain parts of Asia so your blanket assertion that nobody in the entire continent knows about it is wrong.

Anyway, the point is it’s an option for those who need to apply for a visa but before their marriage.