+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after receiving COPR

Jan 6, 2018
Hi Guys,
Need urgent help as I am super nervous and anxious! :oops::(:rolleyes::(
I am NOT based out of Canada currently.

I have received my COPR (confirmation of PR) 3 months back in October 2017 as a SINGLE applicant. However, I am getting married in my home country in Feb 2018. Can some please provide any guidance on how to add my future wife in the application before I land in Canada? I read a few forums to realise that getting married after receiving my COPR could result in cancellation of my existing COPR and I would have to start afresh? Can some expert please shed some light on to this? What options do I have now?

Thanks,
Nervous COPR holder :(:(:(:(:(

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A new COPR would have to be issued once your spouses' documents have been assessed, your application doesn't start afresh but it will take a few months for the documents to be assessed and to receive a new COPR.

Jan 6, 2018
A new COPR would have to be issued once your spouses' documents have been assessed, your application doesn't start afresh but it will take a few months for the documents to be assessed and to receive a new COPR.
Thanks a lot for your response. Really appreciate it.

Would you mind sharing some expert knowledge a) on what next steps should be ? as in there a link on cic website that lists the next steps?
b) Approx how much time does it take them to assess the spouse's documents? Asking because my COPR expires in September and would not be married until Feb 2018. Thank you again.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - Basically once you get married you have to raise a CSE informing IRCC that your marital status has changed AND that you already have a COPR.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

2 - You'll have to submit her medicals, police certificates, marriage certificate among other forms - it should take around 3 months to assess her documents but I cannot make any guarantees such will be the case.

My question to you would be, after marrying are you going to stay in your home country until you both receive a new COPR? If such is the case then no issues. There are also plenty of threads regarding adding spouse after PPR/COPR, you should read those.

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks a lot for your response. Really appreciate it.

Would you mind sharing some expert knowledge a) on what next steps should be ? as in there a link on cic website that lists the next steps?
b) Approx how much time does it take them to assess the spouse's documents? Asking because my COPR expires in September and would not be married until Feb 2018. Thank you again.
Thanks again for suh
1 - Basically once you get married you have to raise a CSE informing IRCC that your marital status has changed AND that you already have a COPR.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

2 - You'll have to submit her medicals, police certificates, marriage certificate among other forms - it should take around 3 months to assess her documents but I cannot make any guarantees such will be the case.

My question to you would be, after marrying are you going to stay in your home country until you both receive a new COPR? If such is the case then no issues. There are also plenty of threads regarding adding spouse after PPR/COPR, you should read those.

Thank you again for the quick response. You have helped me ease some of the anxiety. I will have raise the form once my marital status changes in Feb 2018. In the meanwhile, will start working on my spouse's documents.

To answer to your questions - Yes. We both are in different countries at the moment and will continue to do so till we get the new COPR. Appreciate you pointing out on different threads related to COPR and spouse addition. To be honest, some of those added to my anxiety as they said that the COPR would no longer be valid and I need to start the process from scratch which was very depressing.

Rakaviya

Oct 6, 2018
Thanks again for suh

Thank you again for the quick response. You have helped me ease some of the anxiety. I will have raise the form once my marital status changes in Feb 2018. In the meanwhile, will start working on my spouse's documents.

To answer to your questions - Yes. We both are in different countries at the moment and will continue to do so till we get the new COPR. Appreciate you pointing out on different threads related to COPR and spouse addition. To be honest, some of those added to my anxiety as they said that the COPR would no longer be valid and I need to start the process from scratch which was very depressing.
Hi
I am also currently facing the facing the situation, can you tell me what happened to your case and the procedure you had followed please.

E19

May 16, 2019
Thanks again for suh

Hi Hope everything went according to plan and you are in Canada, would you mind sharing your experience?