+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after PR visa issuance

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
I need advice on the following situation.

If a person get married after issuance/approval of PR visa under FSW class but before leaving for Canada,What approximate time it would take for getting visa for spouse ?
Is it better to apply for spouse visa from home country(Pakistan) before going to Canada ? or applying the same on reaching Canada.Which option would be more fast ?

Pls reply Thanks

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
if you go there and apply, both of will have to live separately for approx 6-12 months depending upon the processing time of your visa office. This will come under family class...

If you apply from here, then, you will need to add her to your application. New medical forms will be sent for your wife and PPR will be sent out for both of you. your earlier visa will be cancelled and a fresh visa will be issued...

nimmiboy

Apr 22, 2005
Riyadh - KSA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aanbaan said:
if you go there and apply, both of will have to live separately for approx 6-12 months depending upon the processing time of your visa office. This will come under family class...

If you apply from here, then, you will need to add her to your application. New medical forms will be sent for your wife and PPR will be sent out for both of you. your earlier visa will be cancelled and a fresh visa will be issued...
Yes, I agreed with aanbaan, I would recommend you to apply from Canada once you get there.

Regards

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Dear annbann/seniors
is it possible for an applicant to add her wife in his application just for issuance of visa to her but she would not accompany him intially to go to Canada. In this way whether the funds requirement would be for 1 person or for 2 persons ?

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
nimmiboy said:
aanbaan said:

Regards
i'm not recommending anything. I'm just giving him the options...

i would've personally applied from here itself because that would mean only adding the spouse to the application and wait for medicals and PPR. Since, everything is ok for you, wife's application should not take that long... + it'll save from living away from spouse...

Yes, I agreed with aanbaan, I would recommend you to apply from Canada once you get there. but, that's me... you need to take your call...

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
This is very important ******jojobaba*******, this is my personal experience.
You cannot land in canada without declaring all family memebers (spouse inclusive).
If you do, you would be reported for misrepresentation and will be removed from canada.
If your visa has already been issued, inform the CHC before you go and land, they will request you
return the visa and COPR for cancellation. They will send you a new medical form for your wife, they will
then request you to pay landing fee for your wife. This is what happened to me personally. I should have gone
to canada since february this year but got married just 3weeks before my case was finalised. I was so naive by not informing the CHC,
but a letter accompanied my visa saying 'I will never be able to sponsor my wife in the future, 'NEVER' ', and may be reported for representation. I contacted the CHC, the have cancelled my visa, they have requested for medicals for my wife and landing fee for her. They have just asked us to submit our passports together. I am waiting for them to return the 2passports with our visas in the next 2weeks.
In conclusion, if you are not married yet, go and land in canada, once you receive your permanent residence card, return to your home country for your wedding then sponsor your wife under the family class or if you are married after your visa was issued, inform CHC, it will only takes maximum of 4-5months to re-issue you and your wife's visas. I know the waiting is killing but that is the safest.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vamsi001 is absolutely right. I have seen at least a couple of people crying on this board because they made the mistake of not adding a spouse to their application, landing in Canada as a single person and then finding out that this misrepresentation causes them to never be able to sponsor their spouse in the future as well as it can also cost them their PR.

If you want to get married, go ahead and get married and have the spouse added to the application. Getting the PR and then turning around and getting married right away and starting sponsorship of spouse can also give you problems. I have heard of at least one case of immigration accusing a couple of misrepresentation since they married so soon after one of them became PR. This couple had to prove that they were not considered common law before the husband got his PR.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vamsi001 said:
This is very important ******jojobaba*******, this is my personal experience.
You cannot land in canada without declaring all family memebers (spouse inclusive).
If you do, you would be reported for misrepresentation and will be removed from canada.
If your visa has already been issued, inform the CHC before you go and land, they will request you
return the visa and COPR for cancellation. They will send you a new medical form for your wife, they will
then request you to pay landing fee for your wife. This is what happened to me personally. I should have gone
to canada since february this year but got married just 3weeks before my case was finalised. I was so naive by not informing the CHC,
but a letter accompanied my visa saying 'I will never be able to sponsor my wife in the future, 'NEVER' ', and may be reported for representation. I contacted the CHC, the have cancelled my visa, they have requested for medicals for my wife and landing fee for her. They have just asked us to submit our passports together. I am waiting for them to return the 2passports with our visas in the next 2weeks.
In conclusion, if you are not married yet, go and land in canada, once you receive your permanent residence card, return to your home country for your wedding then sponsor your wife under the family class or if you are married after your visa was issued, inform CHC, it will only takes maximum of 4-5months to re-issue you and your wife's visas. I know the waiting is killing but that is the safest.
101% correct information.

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks To All Seniors

Now one more question. If spouse is added in application before/after issuance of visa but before landing to Canda and a statement is also given that initially only husband would go to Canda.In this way can the funds requirement would be for 1 person or 2 persons ???

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
*****to jojobaba***
If wife is added in application before/after issuance of visa but before landing and you have written a cover letter that only principal applicant(husband, in your own case) then funds requirement will be just for you only. All dependants whether accompanying or not must be declared and will be examined to assess admissibility. You will only pay processing fee for your wife (even though she won't go with you). You will also need to pay for her police clearance and medical exam. She must pass both security and medical checks but since she won't accompany you proof of fund for husband alone (ONE person) is sufficient.

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Dear Vamis001 !!!
Thanks a lot fo your sincere advice & help. Now one more thing I just want to understand that If I got my PR visa in Dec-2009. & got married in January'2010 and then I inform CHC about this and forward all required doc of my spouse to CHC for visa. Logically they should start processing the case of my wife and I should be free to land Canada as I have conveyed them about my spouse before landing in Canada. Then why CHC would cancell my visa and would again issue the same to me & my wife together.
Pls also mention your country I am from Pakistan.

PMM,Leon,Rupesh,SK,Hotlier & seniors are also requested to give their valuable suggestions in this regard.

Thanks & Regards
JOJO

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
Dear jojobaba,
I was born in India but have lived 99% of my life in nigeria. I am giving you an information that no one ever gave me, that's why am in this situation that I am. To be candid with you, I didn't know the implication of the circumstance until I got the letter that accompanied my visa. Ok, I will explain myself again:
***********Application submitted in august 2005. I was single at that time, but was in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship with the person am now married to. She was still doing her undergraduate in nigeria while I was doing my Masters.
***********July 2008, medicals done
***********December 2008, I flew to nigeria to marry my wife. Unfortunately, no-one was there for me to give me to guide me/inform me that I needed to inform the CHC or I would say it completely escaped my mind.
***********Early January, 2009, received a letter to submit my passport but in that letter CHC never mentioned me to inform them if there is a change in my marital status.
************Mid february 2009, received my passport with visa and COPR and an accompanying letter saying I can't go and land in canada if there is a change in my status and also that I will never be able to sponsor my wife in the future. I was so shocked that I could not sleep for like 3days. I e-mailed CHC regarding my wedding, they asked me submit my wife's processing fee, police clearance, birth certificate, 4passport photos, and to fill out some forms. I was also advised to return my passport with visa and COPR for cancellation. This really disturbed me I can't lie to you. The reason is because I have sold my car, cancelled my house rent, left my job, told all my friends/families that am emigrating. I don't pray anyone else falls into this kind of a situation. It is the most difficult period of my life. I will tell you why:
I returnned my passport with visa and COPR with other requested documents in february ending, CHC sent a medical form for my spouse in April 2009, my wife did her medicals in nigeria and we was received bt CHC in london around early May 2009.
************Then in late June 2009, CHC sent my passport back (so I was unemployed from february till today as no one was willing to give me job without my passport).They have cancelled the visa( It reads 'CANCELLED WITHOUT PREJUDICE). They now requested me to re-submit my passport and that of my wife together. I have sent the two passports off. By next week it will be 6weeks which is the deadline the CHC says they will be returning them with visa.
Now to your answer, the reason the CHC would cancel the visa is because they will do medical and security assessment for your wife too. She must pass all these. If she fails, they will cancel your visa and will not re-issue you a new one. Also if she is a security-risk, they will cancel your visa and will not re-issue you with a new one. If you inform the CHC, you just wait for their instruction, if you go and land after informing them, they will report you, you will be removed from canada for misrepresentaion. If you don't inform them, they will do a background check when you want to sponsor your wife, they will find out the exact date that you were married. This information am giving is very important. I wished someone had given me such information immediately after my wedding.
Finally, if you marry immediately after you receive your PR, CHC will also need a proof that you were not in a common law relationship prior to your wedding. I have read in this forum of a similar case. My best advise is to always tell the CHC the whole truth, nothing but 100% truth. At the end of the day, one's conscience will be clear if you have told the truth. Somebody said I should go and land without informing CHC that I am married I don't know how I would have survived with such high level of dishonesty. That person is still pitying me now because he is still seeing me around when I should have travelled since february. The end of my story is that the truth shall always prevail because next week when I receive my visa and that of my wife with COPR, I will let the person know.
I hope this information is more than enough, if there is anything else you need to know, feel free to let me know. Experience is the best teacher at the end of the day.

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Dear Vamis001

Bundle of thanks for ur detailed/candid/honest/sincere reply.
I am much indebted to u. May God bless u & ur family with success and happiness and wish u all the best.
Take Care

Regards
Jojo

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
Wish you all the best for your visas, Vamsi.. it takes a lot of courage to go through what you have...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who did he declare the common law relationship to? It would be causing a lot of red flags to go off by immigration if he got sponsored to Canada by a common law partner and then turned around and left the common law partner to sponsor his wife who he was separated from but it could happen in real life. I think as long as there was proof that both relationships were real, immigration might accept it but if the common law partner who sponsored him was bitter about the break up, they could mess things up by complaining to immigration about having been defrauded etc.