+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status in Express Entry form

SaSJ

Aug 31, 2020
Hi All,
I got married a year back and have been living separately for almost 11months now. My ex has applied for annulment of marriage and the case is pending in court(nearly 8months) as the family courts aren't functioning. I want to apply for Express Entry program, but do not know if I need to put status as Single or Annulled or Legally Separated. I do not have marriage certificate as well because my spouse was uncooperative from day one. I'm thoroughly confused as to what would be the legal complications. Also, want to know what should be my marital status and the documents that need to be submitted for the same.
Thanks..

SaSJ

Aug 31, 2020
The problem is I don't have any relevant documents needed in this regard. I'm confused about how to approach this.

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
You will need to provide documents stating the legally separated status such as a formal Judicial Separation document or a Divorce/Annulment decree. Simply stating that you are legally separated is enough for the pre-ITA stage but post that you will need to provide documentary proof.

I was divorced before I re-married and my spouse and we applied for EE. We were still required to provide the divorce decree from my first marriage.

Do you know which family court (Sub-divisional magistrate office), this was lodged at? They should be able to provide you a copy of your marriage certificate (if registered as is mandatory in India now) and also a copy of the annulment documents filed by your spouse and/or any decision on the application.

SaSJ

Aug 31, 2020
Hey thanks for your response.
Mine is a complex case where my spouse did not come for marriage registration and thus the problem started and we have been living separately. I only have the case number because the case hasn't progressed an inch from the day it was filed 8 months ago. The case is registered in Family court of Madras. There is no decision taken by the court and I only have the Court notice with me.
I am sure of getting the ITA in the coming draw as I have a good score (with single status).
Is the court notice alone enough or do I need a judgement copy(not sure when the courts will open)?

SaSJ

Aug 31, 2020
You will need to provide documents stating the legally separated status such as a formal Judicial Separation document or a Divorce/Annulment decree. Simply stating that you are legally separated is enough for the pre-ITA stage but post that you will need to provide documentary proof.

I was divorced before I re-married and my spouse and we applied for EE. We were still required to provide the divorce decree from my first marriage.

Do you know which family court (Sub-divisional magistrate office), this was lodged at? They should be able to provide you a copy of your marriage certificate (if registered as is mandatory in India now) and also a copy of the annulment documents filed by your spouse and/or any decision on the application.
Mine is a complex case where my spouse did not come for marriage registration and thus the problem started and we have been living separately. I only have the case number because the case hasn't progressed an inch from the day it was filed 8 months ago. The case is registered in Family court of Madras. There is no decision taken by the court and I only have the Court notice with me.
I am sure of getting the ITA in the coming draw as I have a good score (with single status).
Is the court notice alone enough or do I need a judgement copy(not sure when the courts will open)?

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
You could select Legally Separated, share the documents you do have and explain the rest in an LoE.

SaSJ

Aug 31, 2020
You could select Legally Separated, share the documents you do have and explain the rest in an LoE.
Okay thanks. Will my application be delayed / rejected in case my loe is not satisfactory?
In another thread, I saw that the cic still asks for divorce certificate if you mention the status as Legally separated.
Link: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/separated-from-wife-but-no-divorce-cic-asked-for-divorce-certificate-what-should-i-do.530499/
I'm not sure when the courts will start conducting the cases and provide any affidavit/documentation for the same.

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
Okay thanks. Will my application be delayed / rejected in case my loe is not satisfactory?
In another thread, I saw that the cic still asks for divorce certificate if you mention the status as Legally separated.
Link: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/separated-from-wife-but-no-divorce-cic-asked-for-divorce-certificate-what-should-i-do.530499/
I'm not sure when the courts will start conducting the cases and provide any affidavit/documentation for the same.
Yes, like I said, it is quite likely for them to insist on an official document that states divorce or legally separated status.

Impossible to predict how it will impact your application. Make sure the LoE is detailed and explains everything. Or wait for the courts to open.

Reactions: SaSJ

SaSJ

Aug 31, 2020
Yes, like I said, it is quite likely for them to insist on an official document that states divorce or legally separated status.

Impossible to predict how it will impact your application. Make sure the LoE is detailed and explains everything. Or wait for the courts to open.
Ok will try to get a legal document to support my status. Thanks for your response!