+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital status changed during Permanent Residency process - HELP ?

JesusL

Mar 5, 2012
Hi,

So I have a problem that I don't know if it is a big deal or not but I am a little concern.

I started my final application for the Permanent Resident Card (Provincial Nominee Program) more than a year ago and yesterday, after some concerns (my work permit will expire in three weeks) I got my PR approval so I just need to go to the border or appoint a meeting with a CIC representative for an interview and then I will be a Permanent Resident in Canada. Yay!

The "problem" is that I got married (with a Canadian) four weeks ago so my marital status has changed from Common Law (as I applied) to Married since I started my application. Some weeks before the wedding I called the CIC call center, talked to a representative and I was told that it was ok to get married during the process, that it wouldn't delay my application and I wouldn't have any issue with this. My first thought was to get married and register the marriage after getting my PR card but because of this positive answer I did it right away.

But yesterday, right after getting the paperwork, I was doing a little bit of research I got a little worried because I read different feedback about similar situations, some of them not very positive.

So, would I have any problem whenever I have my PR interview ? I want to do thing the right way and say that I got married but I am not up to start the application over again because somebody in the Call Center made a mistake and told me the wrong thing, most likely because I don't have any evidence of this, it was just a phone conversation.
Does the fact that my wife is Canadian changes anything ? I know I wouldn't have any problem with sponsorships and all that stuff so this makes me think about not saying a word about the marital status update. If I wouldn't mention that I got married, will I have issues whenever I apply for the citizenship ?
The fact that we were in a Common Law relation beforehand changes anything for this matter ?

Thanks for your help.

-Jesus-

JesusL

Mar 5, 2012
Sorry to bother, does anybody have any idea about this ? I need to short it out ASAP.

Thanks.

JesusL

Mar 5, 2012
So a little update on this:

After three days of calling to the CIC call center unsuccesfully, finally this morning I got to talk to a representative. First, she has told me that in order to get an appointment with a representative in the city (to skip having to go to the border) I would have to wait around one month. Obviously I can not wait that long, so I will end up going to the border.
She also told me that as long as my application was approved before I got married there should be not problem but if my status changed during the process I should inform immigration. This is NOT what the other representative told me prior to my wedding. Now I have to see if my marriage certificate was issue before of after the PNP application was and if before, I will have to lie in the border.

Being this said, could I have any problem whenever I want to apply for my citizenship if they find out that I got married (with a Canadian) right before my application was issued ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know this is a old thread but did you ever get this sorted out? I am in the same situation
If you married a Canadian, send a CSE with the marriage certificate and proof of your spouse's Canadian citizenship. If you don't get a response before your landing, just take those documents with you, along with proof of the CSE.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
If you married a Canadian, send a CSE with the marriage certificate and proof of your spouse's Canadian citizenship. If you don't get a response before your landing, just take those documents with you, along with proof of the CSE.
what is CSE and what is proof of that

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Case Specific Enquiry, also called Webform.
we don't have the certificate yet, I just ordered it. it will take 5 business days. we didn't think her PR would come so fast and forgot to tell them about the marriage. her interview will come up and her papers will say single but we are married. I will use the webform and submit my passport along with our marriage license and say that the certificate is coming