+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status change during PR application

faheemtassadaq

Jun 21, 2014
Dear All,

I am planning to apply for a Canadian PR under FSWP pretty soon and basically getting my documents ready these days including IELTS, ECE etc. Everything else seems fine and I easily score the required points, however I have a question regarding my marital status on which I need your advise. I got married in 2011 but I am planning to get a divorce in near future. I am physically separated from my wife for the last 6 months and effectively no contact with her so I don't have any of her info/documents etc to attach to the application. Is it okay if don't show her as my spouse in the application and show myself as single since I will get divorce anyway in near future.

Your prompt response will be highly appreciated in this regard.

Thanks
Faheem

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Saying you're single is misrepresentation and could very well get your application refused (+ leave you with a 2 year ban from Canada). Even if it's not caught now, it could cause big complications for you in the future (for example, if you ever remarry and need to sponsor your wife to Canada).

You need to be honest about your status. I would include a letter explaining the situation and then start divorce proceedings asap so that if CIC asks you for proof later on, you will be able to provide something.

faheemtassadaq

Jun 21, 2014
Thanks a lot Scylla so you mean to say that I shouldn't hide anything. The problem is there are so many documents required with the application bundle of the spouse (even if he/she is not accompanying) and I won't be able to submit any of these with the application right now at the same time, I don't want to delay my application submission waiting for divorce to happen because the quota might finish before that. Do you have any info when normally the quota is finished each year. They started receiving applications on 1st May, 2014.

And also does it make my application really prone to return/rejection if I don't submit my spouse's document and just attach a letter explaining my situation in detail. This also means I wont be able to submit the main application form as well which is signed by the spouse. i really need an expert advise on this considering all the above mentioned factors.

Really Looking forward to your response.

Thanks
Faheem

catchtinu1

Jun 5, 2013
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2014
Hi,

I have same concern too, please advise.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Hi

I understand the conerns regarding the amount of documents required. However on the flip side, if declined for misrepresentation you will be barred from reapplying for two years. Also any future application will be scutinized very closely.

If you are not in a position to provide your spouse's documents at this point, I would suggest you wait until the divorce is finalized

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I would suggest you try and follow Scylla's advice. I would fill up the forms stating that you are in fact married, but include a cover letter explaining that you are formally separated from your wife and are going to begin divorce proceedings. I would think this would be acceptable to CIC. When they ask for proof of your divorce proceedings, you could likely show them the paperwork that was filed to begin the divorce as acceptable proof.

If this were my application, it is how I would proceed. Lying is NOT an option, ever, period when it comes to CIC. If you are caught in even the simplest of lies it will have a negative effect on your ability to immigrate to Canada.

Delex

Jun 22, 2014
I have same situation,,my spouse applied for pr and mentioned that we r separated and divorce proses is going on,( which is lie). Will cic ask any document to see that proses.?