+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status change after CPR

countyboy

Mar 16, 2018
Dear All,

My marital status will likely change soon and I got my CPR 2 weeks ago and I would like to include my future spouse to get a CPR as well. What do I need to do? What are the steps? I know that I have to fill out IRCC webform regarding the change and inform them. What else? what documents will be required for her? I know some of them but I don't have the full picture. Please let me know which ones I miss or have included incorrectly:
1. Police certificate
2. Updated proof of funds
3. Marriage certificate
4. Medical report
5. what else?

Furthermore, does she have to take an upfront medical exam? Will they tell us when to take a medical exam or can she take it now? ( we are not married yet by the way)

I would appreciate a comprehensive answer. Thanks

P.S the reason I am asking at the moment is, to prepare some of the docs before we get married and notify IRCC, so to save time.

KCtoCA

Sep 24, 2018
Hey Bud,

I have not been through the process yet but I'm considering it. I researched it and thought this thread might help:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/adding-spouse-after-ppr-taking-too-long-please-connect-here.521680/

I'd recommend reading as much of the thread as possible but in case you don't have the time, you will at least find people who have done it successfully, like Tammy91, in this thread and send them private messages. Congrats on your CPR by the way...

Good luck and congrats on the wedding plans as well :)

Reactions: countyboy

countyboy

Mar 16, 2018
Hey Bud,

I have not been through the process yet but I'm considering it. I researched it and thought this thread might help:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/adding-spouse-after-ppr-taking-too-long-please-connect-here.521680/

I'd recommend reading as much of the thread as possible but in case you don't have the time, you will at least find people who have done it successfully, like Tammy91, in this thread and send them private messages. Congrats on your CPR by the way...

Good luck and congrats on the wedding plans as well :)
THanks. I appreciate it, I talked to Canadian office regarding the matter, they are telling me, you visa is closed and you have to sponsor her later. I am not sure what to make of it.

Reactions: KCtoCA

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
THanks. I appreciate it, I talked to Canadian office regarding the matter, they are telling me, you visa is closed and you have to sponsor her later. I am not sure what to make of it.
They are correct ONLY if you are already landed. Your application is not completed until you actually land, and if you marry before landing, you MUST include your new spouse in the application. Failure to do so is, 1. Misrepresentation and 2. Renders it impossible to sponsor later (IRPR 117(9)(d)).
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-117.html

They probably expect you to land and then marry.

Reactions: countyboy and tobs

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
They are correct ONLY if you are already landed. Your application is not completed until you actually land, and if you marry before landing, you MUST include your new spouse in the application. Failure to do so is, 1. Misrepresentation and 2. Renders it impossible to sponsor later (IRPR 117(9)(d)).

Just to add legal information regarding the statement about "not completed" .

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2005/2005fc1039/2005fc1039.html

[12] Insofar as Mr. Dave's proposed interpretation of the phrase "at the time of that application" is concerned, he does not suggest that the words "that application" refer to anything other than an application for permanent residence. Nor does he dispute that a visa, in and of itself, does not confer a right of entry: Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration) v. De Decaro 1993 CanLII 2945 (FCA), [1993] 2 F.C. 408 (C.A.) per Mr. Justice Marceau; McLeod v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), [1999] 1 F.C,. 257 (C.A.); Wong v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) (2002), 2002 FCT 125 (CanLII), 216 F.T.R. 223 (T.D.). Although this jurisprudence was concerned with provisions under the former legislation and the term "landing" is no longer found in IRPA, the rationale contained in the noted authorities remains apposite. One does not become a permanent resident until one is "landed". Consequently, the application process is not complete merely as a result of the processing of an application for a visa or because a visa is granted. The "time of that application" includes the period that begins with the submission of the application and continues through to the time when permanent residence is granted. Were it otherwise, any applicant could circumvent the provisions of the legislation by simply completing and submitting his or her application form prior to marrying.

[13] In short, the application process for permanent residence encompasses not only the application for a visa, but also the application for admission at the port of entry (POE). Accordingly, the argument that the phrase "at the time of the application" comprises only the point in time when the application form was completed and submitted must fail.

countyboy

Mar 16, 2018

Thanks but the issue is, I have not left for Canada yet. In that case, can they still consider my case closed? Let me ask the question differently. Assume, I get married, and I add her to my application and notify them. What happens after? Does she go some sort of process as well to get COPR or what?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks but the issue is, I have not left for Canada yet. In that case, can they still consider my case closed? Let me ask the question differently. Assume, I get married, and I add her to my application and notify them. What happens after? Does she go some sort of process as well to get COPR or what?
Your file is not closed. If you marry before landing, you will have to add her to your application. She will need to submit the forms/documents/medical and be processed. You will have to return your COPR/visa. Once her part of the app is done processing, you will both be issued COPRs/visas. This will take several months.

countyboy

Mar 16, 2018
Your file is not closed. If you marry before landing, you will have to add her to your application. She will need to submit the forms/documents/medical and be processed. You will have to return your COPR/visa. Once her part of the app is done processing, you will both be issued COPRs/visas. This will take several months.
However, this is a better option than marrying later and sponsoring her afterward, correct?