+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2021 - Citizenship applications

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Hi, I'm wondering if the test can be done from abroad? I don't expect myself to be in Canada for a long time, until I must be back.
Is it easy to convince the officer to take the test abroad? Are there many people successful doing this?
Maybe it's not a popular question. Thanks.
Yes it is a popular question, you can take the test from outside Canada, you will need to reply to the test invite email and explain the reason for taking the test from abroad. Many have been approved to do that, if there is no interview required you will need to come back to Canada to take the Oath.

montorq

Jan 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Received AOR on 30th April.
my info:
Physical Presence Days: 1456
Application: Single (paper)
Application sent: March 18, 2021
AOR: 30th April 2021
Please update my timeliness further:
Background completed - Aug 05th 2021
Test invite - Sep 03rd 2021
Test status updated - Sep 23rd 2021

Mum84

Sep 7, 2021
Yes you can take the test abroad. i did mine on september. when you receive the instruction for the test , it will tell you what to do ( you need to send the email with your plane ticket and the boarding pass)
Hi, I was wondering what do you mean by send the email and boarding pass that you're coming back to Canada or that you left Canada? I am little confused on this one.
I am in UK at the moment and I have already informed IRCC that I will not be coming back anytime soon until my husband finishes his 1 year contract then we will be back to Canada.

Preet31

Star Member
Aug 8, 2017
I have given the test today and passed, how long does it take to update?

I have also received an request to send the passport copy by email. I’ve sent that too.

Last edited:

ironman21

Jan 14, 2020
Yes it is a popular question, you can take the test from outside Canada, you will need to reply to the test invite email and explain the reason for taking the test from abroad. Many have been approved to do that, if there is no interview required you will need to come back to Canada to take the Oath.
Thanks. I guess then COVID/travel hassle is a good reason for not being able to come back :)
I don't think many people would bypass the test at middle age. I definitely have the plan to come back to take the Oath. But being back from the date receiving test invite and wait until getting passport is too long for me.

Reactions: Strongfaith42

ironman21

Jan 14, 2020
Yes you can take the test abroad. i did mine on september. when you receive the instruction for the test , it will tell you what to do ( you need to send the email with your plane ticket and the boarding pass)
Thanks.
Your case is like you got the flight ticket but won't be able to catch the time frame for the test, so you showed them the ticket/boarding pass.
But I don't want to travel back for the test, so I have no intention to buy the ticket. It worked perfectly for you, but I kinda want to just send an email requesting their approval, without showing the ticket stuff.

efecntrk

Dec 7, 2017
They received my application on March 2nd, and I received AOR on May 13th and they started to process my application on June 24th. Since then I haven’t heard anything. Is this normal? Are there other applicants in similar situation?

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
I have given the test today and passed, how long does it take to update?

I have also received an request to send the passport copy by email. I’ve sent that too.
Congratulations, when did you receive the test invite email? It could take from a couple of days, to weeks or months, it varies per the local office processing your application.

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
They received my application on March 2nd, and I received AOR on May 13th and they started to process my application on June 24th. Since then I haven’t heard anything. Is this normal? Are there other applicants in similar situation?
Yes, please check the spreadsheet, paper applications are taking longer to be process and also time varies as per the local office processing your application.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI/edit#gid=1674299663

Preet31

Star Member
Aug 8, 2017
Congratulations, when did you receive the test invite email? It could take from a couple of days, to weeks or months, it varies per the local office processing your application.
Thank you

Test invite - Nov 15, 2021
Test window- 19 Nov to 9 December 2021
Test taken - 20 Nov 2021
Fingerprint request- 15 November 2021
Fingerprint received- 17 November 2021
Passport copy request- 15 November 2011
Passport copy sent by email- 20 November 2021.

fkbrun

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
I also got my Oath letter today: november 22nd :)
Oath ceremony: December 3rd

About the letter: it says the citizenship certificate might take from 2 to 4 weeks to arrive. So I think no passport this year :(
But at least the citizenship itself will be an early Christmas!