+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2021 - Citizenship applications

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
After receiving the AOR .. what is the usual order of things ??? New system shows in progress in all .. what is the sequence they follow ?? BG first or language skills or physical presence. how do they do it ??
Steps and order may vary if it is paper or online application and which local office is processing your application.

What we have seen so far is the following:

AOR
In Process (old ECAS)
it appears online applicants can't access this tool
Background verification (new dashboard) -File transferred to local office, you won't see this in any of the trackers, only if you request ATIP/GCMS notes or by calling IRCC. Some applicants have reported ghost updates and after a couple of days BG is set to completed, some others have seen the Ghost Update but no changes to BG which could mean applicant will be requested to submit Fingerprints, it could take from 4-8 weeks (this varies between online or paper applications) after the ghost update to see the change to FP requires (not all applicants are required to provide FP only those cases when IRCC needs to resolve problems or errors that may happen if your name, date of birth and/or place of birth are similar to those of someone else)
Test invitation : online have been receiving test invites faster than paper applicants, but it varies based on your local office, the more active offices are in Ontario. Some online applicants have received test invitation and request to submit Passport photocopies simultaneously.
Interview: may be required, now it appears they have removed this step by requesting your passport photocopies, not all applicants will be required to attend an interview
Decision Made: After test and / or interview Physical presence, Prohibitions and language skills will be set to completed in new dashboard. In old ECAS will be Decision Made
Oath Ceremony invitation

Hope this helps, timing again will vary and each application has its own complexities.

sjgolfer014

Oct 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2016 Passport received back on 17/11/2016 visa expiry date 14/10/2017
LANDED..........
29 dec 2016

skinny123

Jan 18, 2018
Steps and order may vary if it is paper or online application and which local office is processing your application.

What we have seen so far is the following:

AOR
In Process (old ECAS)
it appears online applicants can't access this tool
Background verification (new dashboard) -File transferred to local office, you won't see this in any of the trackers, only if you request ATIP/GCMS notes or by calling IRCC. Some applicants have reported ghost updates and after a couple of days BG is set to completed, some others have seen the Ghost Update but no changes to BG which could mean applicant will be requested to submit Fingerprints, it could take from 4-8 weeks (this varies between online or paper applications) after the ghost update to see the change to FP requires (not all applicants are required to provide FP only those cases when IRCC needs to resolve problems or errors that may happen if your name, date of birth and/or place of birth are similar to those of someone else)
Test invitation : online have been receiving test invites faster than paper applicants, but it varies based on your local office, the more active offices are in Ontario. Some online applicants have received test invitation and request to submit Passport photocopies simultaneously.
Interview: may be required, now it appears they have removed this step by requesting your passport photocopies, not all applicants will be required to attend an interview
Decision Made: After test and / or interview Physical presence, Prohibitions and language skills will be set to completed in new dashboard. In old ECAS will be Decision Made
Oath Ceremony invitation

Hope this helps, timing again will vary and each application has its own complexities.
Hello, just wondering if you have an idea the duration between a BG check completed and a test invite? I got passed my background check completed
September 16th.

Last edited:

alexo21

Mar 5, 2021
I have added this into the notes section. It appears Vancouver is the responsible office to request FP, it doesn't mean they are processing your application, I think that is explained in the letter they have sent you.
I did get the FP request after I did the test and now test is only thing showing completed for me and got from CIC Vancouver too.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
After receiving the AOR .. what is the usual order of things ??? New system shows in progress in all .. what is the sequence they follow ?? BG first or language skills or physical presence. how do they do it ??
normally BG first, but no preference for the IRCC agent.

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Hello, just wondering if you have an idea the duration between a BG check completed and a test invite? I got passed my background check completed
September 16th.
Well it could be within a couple of weeks for online up to many months for paper, it also varies as this step is handled at your local office. AB offices are very slow, but I noticed that some 2020 September applicants and a 2021 January online applicants got test invite recently, also I just saw a FB post from another 2021 January Calgary applicant indicating that have passed the test, I am in Calgary as well, we are a family of 4 waiting for tests, 3 of my family members got BG completed on June 9 and I got FP request in July, my BG was completed on Aug 19, 2021 and still waiting to receive the test invitation, is hard to predict how long it will take from BG to test invite.

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Same here got it last week, did they write anything regarding why the requested because of biographical information and questions with citizenship act sections 21 and 22?
I think that is the standard wording in the letter, nothing to worry about. They are trying to resolve problems or errors that may happen if your name, date of birth and/or place of birth are similar to those of someone else.

Reactions: alexo21

MTLdersim

Aug 15, 2015
Hi Every one update for my Application
Received Test invitation on 17th Sep Test window is from 17th Sep to 7 October below is my Time line

Application 12th March 2021
AOR RECEIVED : 20th May
Background Complete 20th Aug 2021
Test invitation : 17th Sep 2021(17th Sep to 7th Oct)
Test Completed:27th September

Hopefully will get the ceremony invitation before the new year, finger cross!

Reactions: Wandering Mind

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Hi Every one update for my Application
Received Test invitation on 17th Sep Test window is from 17th Sep to 7 October below is my Time line

Application 12th March 2021
AOR RECEIVED : 20th May
Background Complete 20th Aug 2021
Test invitation : 17th Sep 2021(17th Sep to 7th Oct)
Test Completed:27th September

Hopefully will get the ceremony invitation before the new year, finger cross!
I have added the information to the spreadsheet. Could you please share the following?

Type of application: Family (#) or single
Physical presence days
Date application sent

If you are able to login to old ECAS could you please check when your application was sent to In Process?

Thank you

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hey, I completed my test yesterday on Sept 28 from outside Canada. Got 20/20 but I was having trouble while clicking a picture of my id. The photo turned out to be quite blurry. So not sure if IRCC will approve my test but still hoping for the best.
Wish you all the best for the next steps.

sjgolfer014

Oct 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2016 Passport received back on 17/11/2016 visa expiry date 14/10/2017
LANDED..........
29 dec 2016
Hey, I completed my test yesterday on Sept 28 from outside Canada. Got 20/20 but I was having trouble while clicking a picture of my id. The photo turned out to be quite blurry. So not sure if IRCC will approve my test but still hoping for the best.
At least you took photo of ur ID. I made a mistake instead of photo of my ID I took the photo of my self and did the test got score of 20/20 hope they accept my test
I don't know I think in the test they just wanna make sure it the right person and no cheating done .