+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2021 - Citizenship applications

Preet31

Star Member
Aug 8, 2017
I was at the CIC website and found this, what does it mean by randomly selected? When I applied online it wasn't there or maybe it was there and I missed it. I wasn't selected randomly to apply for citizenship online but I still applied. Now what

Who can apply online now
At this time, you can only apply online if

you’re randomly selected
you’re eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship (opens in a new tab)
you have a valid email address
you’re between 18 to 54 years of age when you submit your online application
you’re applying for yourself only (not with your family)
you do not have a representative(opens in a new tab)
in your physical presence calculation (opens in a new tab) , you do not include time spent outside Canada as a
Crown servant (opens in a new tab) or,
family member of a Crow

Last edited:

yhome

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Please add my entry:
Application Type: Single
Physical Presence Days: 1127
App submitted date (online): March 30
AOR: waiting

Can you please share with me the online sheet URL as well?

sinou3939

Star Member
Jun 10, 2020
I was at the CIC website and found this, what does it mean by randomly selected? When I applied online it wasn't there or maybe it was there and I missed it. I wasn't selected randomly to apply for citizenship online but I still applied. Now what

Who can apply online now

you’re randomly selected
in your physical presence calculation (opens in a new tab) , you do not include time spent outside Canada as a
family member of a Crow
I don’t see the “randomly selected” requirement:https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing

kdham

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017

Who can apply online now

you’re randomly selected
family member of a Crow
Where are you seeing 'Randomly selected'? I checked below link and I don't see that Randomly selected statement
https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing?fbclid=IwAR0fuVZfg7cqmx6tn3xf1AXrfwX5CpMppqAbdDRF67VDJCESpphGqCxC1OA

sinou3939

Star Member
Jun 10, 2020
I understand we have the link, but how to get to this link from CIC main webpage: Immigration and citizenship - Canada.ca ?
If such link to apply online exists then why hasn't CIC mentioned it on its main page just like it does for paper application or online PR application, etc.
Hello,
This is a valid and legitimate concern. There is a way to simply check if a website is genuine or not. You can just look at the domain name of the website.
https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing

In this case, the website for online application is hosted in cic.gc.ca domain. This domain is registered to CIC and gc.ca is the government of Canada domain. All government websites are in gc.ca domain and all CIC websites are in cic.gc.ca sub-domain. The important thing to note here is, on the internet, there can only be one owner for a domain. A random person cannot create a website in the cic.gc.ca or gc.ca domains.
This is the same way you would validate any website on the internet. When someone sends a malicious or spam email to extract valuable information from you, the typically send you a website that looks almost the same, there again you will look at the domain name of the website before sharing any information. These malicious attackers often ask you to change your password or ask for financial information by entering such information into a website where the domain is almost same as the real one. For example: face-book.com or Facebook-ca.com or something like that. Facebook.com is the only real domain, everything else is fake.
Bottom line is, the citizenship online application is real because it’s a website on the Government of Canada domain. If you are tech savvy, you can look up more information about Domain Name, DNS, who is? And other information. Good luck!

Reactions: rohitkadam

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Who can apply online now

you’re randomly selected
family member of a Crow
Someone had mentioned in Dec-2020 online thread that link for online application is not always visible. It is shown only to 10% of visitors, to apply online. Probably that is what they are referring as "randomly selected".

hsbmovic

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
thanks for sharing this. I know there were concerns before asking the authenticity of the online link in this portal. I believe CIC is now trying to slowly rollout the online service on their main page.

that is why we see that message.

I would have applied on paper if I didn't know I can apply online(this portal helped me to apply online). Because it is not visible to all

Reactions: Preet31

rohitkadam

Feb 13, 2017
Hello,

When I create the online profile it asks me UCI number as it is on the PR card. Now PR card has total 10 numbers and 2 hyphens XX-XXXX-XXXX, but there is not so much in online website. Is it okay to skip the 2 hyphens and enter XXXXXXXXXX ?

hsbmovic

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
Hello,

When I create the online profile it asks me UCI number as it is on the PR card. Now PR card has total 10 numbers and 2 hyphens XX-XXXX-XXXX, but there is not so much in online website. Is it okay to skip the 2 hyphens and enter XXXXXXXXXX ?
yes, i did like that