Manitoba or Saskatchewan for new immigrants

eses66

Oct 30, 2015
How are these two provinces in terms of
1. Job in finance and marketing
2. Weather
3. Living expenses
4. Transportation system

Answers from current residents are welcome.

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
1. I don’t have first experience about working in this field, but from what I hear, opportunities in this area are generally available...especially if you’re looking at entry roles.
2. The weather is great in summer, and one of the most brutal you will find in Canada in winter. There’s a reason people refer to Winnipeg as “winterpeg”. From talking with those in Saskatchewan, their weather is fairly similar in winter.
3. Taxes are high, but general living expenses are probably lower than other areas like Toronto, Calgary, etc.
4. Transportation System within the cities are generally adequate.

Reactions: permafrost_can

eses66

Oct 30, 2015
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
1. I don’t have first experience about working in this field, but from what I hear, opportunities in this area are generally available...especially if you’re looking at entry roles.
2. The weather is great in summer, and one of the most brutal you will find in Canada in winter. There’s a reason people refer to Winnipeg as “winterpeg”. From talking with those in Saskatchewan, their weather is fairly similar in winter.
3. Taxes are high, but general living expenses are probably lower than other areas like Toronto, Calgary, etc.
4. Transportation System within the cities are generally adequate.
Thanks a lot!

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I live in Calgary. What I have heard from my friends is that recently lots of Job opportunities in Saskatchewan and that the house prices are comparitively lower. Only thing is that the weather is harsh in winter.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
How are these two provinces in terms of
1. Job in finance and marketing
2. Weather
3. Living expenses
4. Transportation system

Answers from current residents are welcome.
Not sure if you already landed or are still deciding between the two provinces, but here's some info:

1. In terms of finance I think they are somewhat similar, if in MB you should settle in Winnipeg, if in SK you should settle in Saskatoon as those are the financial hubs of either province. Both have provincial headquarters for the five big Canadian banks, as well as many financial corporations.
2. I've never been in SK in winter but my relatives have, they say it is fairly similar.
3. Looks like SK is more expensive: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&city1=Winnipeg&country2=Canada&city2=Saskatoon

https://careers.workopolis.com/advice/comparing-the-cost-of-living-between-canadian-cities/

Taxes are actually lower in MB than in other provinces, but taxes in Canada are generally higher than in other countries.

4. Saskatoon has a better transit system than Regina just because of its size. It is comparable to Winnipeg: both cover most of the city but there are areas (especially those recently developed) who aren't as well-serviced as older neighbourhoods. It is definitely not as good as Vancouver's in that buses do not run every five to ten minutes and it doesn't run 24 hours, but both are fairly efficient for prairies/mid-western North American cities.

If you have any questions about settling in MB or SK, feel free to contact me.