+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manila Tread for English Speakers - join here!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Pauluz said:
Oh lol he's doing well then. I think maayo iya kahimtang.. It's good he found a job right away. You guys are lucky you got some Filipino restaurants nearby. Our nearest Goldilocks and jollibee is in NYC :( but there might be a max in Toronto now. I just got the Filipino channel too in preparation for my wife. I guess I have lived here long enough I can't relate or understand the shows.. They often talk too fast in Tagalog.. Just can't understand it. But I'm sure my wife will be happy.
The Filipino channels are totally mindless but it puts a smile on your face even if you can't understand it. I just wish there were subtitles on those soap operas, they look juicy.. I could easily get hooked on them. I guess maayo iya kahimtang means he's doing okay.. I think he's doing better every day, our relationship is getting better too.

I'm still trying to learn words so I can communicate with him nicely.. for example I just bought him some new pangbahay or jammies as we would call them in preparation for cold weather :D That's a cool word because it's not just jammies but the sweat pants you can only wear around the house. And I learned this phrase from Mrs. Tagum. Sa Wakas! - At last! Now I can parrot that all the time to the amusement of Moose.

I think your wife will be happy with the channels.. it should be easier for her because you're both Filipino and can enjoy the same food and language in your house.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Steph C said:
He was living in Davao, and worked overseas for 10 years.. sa barko. But yeah, he's missing a lot of things about the Philippines.
I'm missing the Philippines more than my wife.

markel008

Jul 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
December 28 2012
File Transfer...
January 21 2013
Med's Done....
sept 22 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
june 25 2013/Passport sent July 3 2013
VISA ISSUED...
September 2 2013
LANDED..........
September 14 2013
WoodyKatie said:
Congrats marcjd! :)

I've been to CFO yesterday. There's a lady I've met, her medical will expire this Sept. but she said her visa will expire on Oct. 24... :eek:. Very fortunate!!
probably they extend her medical validity

hucards

Jun 21, 2013
Tagum-N.B. said:
so does anyone know if the strike is over,,,,or is it the hired help that is making manila so efficient lately
Maybe they changed the pay structure from salary to piece work. :D

They haven't been too efficient updating my wife's mailing address. It's been over 10 days since I put in the request and still nothing.

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
SA Received: August 29, 2013
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
Steph C said:
i would just wait for PPR and send it in then, I may be wrong that they will ask for it but they have been pretty consistent with that in the past.
I think we will do that. Our case is kinda not the norm. My wife was living in Costa Rica for a long time and was married to a Costa Rican there and then divorced there and then we met and were married there all without her returning to the Philippines. We came to the Philippines after that on a balikbayan visa and then I got my residency here. We did not go ourselves to NSO to register our marriage and I am not sure if the Philippine consulate would have done that in Costa Rica when he authenticated our marriage certificate or if the immigration office here would have done it. We sent our only original marriage cert with our CIC App so I am not even sure we could get our marriage registered with NSO with only a copy if we wanted to.

On the cic site the philippine instructions said:

1) For the Philippines
The following original documents are required for you (principal applicant, regardless of age) and for each of your dependent children, if applicable:
•Birth Certificate
•Marriage Certificate
•Death Certificate
•No record of marriage (CENOMAR) or Advisory on marriages
These documents must be issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) and printed on NSO paper.

but then also said below that:

IF a birth, marriage or death occurred in another country and is not registered with NSO, THEN provide the original certificate issued abroad.

Like I said, our case is a little different than the norm. I have my fingers crossed that we don't get asked for one!

superman08

Jul 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-June-2013
AOR Received.
16-July-2013
File Transfer...
SA received: 23-July-2013
Med's Done....
09-May-2013
Passport Req..
No PPR yet but ECAS changed to IN PROCESS- 27-March-2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 14, 2014 (04/14/14=)
LANDED..........
Soon... =)
Steph C said:
The Filipino channels are totally mindless but it puts a smile on your face even if you can't understand it. I just wish there were subtitles on those soap operas, they look juicy.. I could easily get hooked on them. I guess maayo iya kahimtang means he's doing okay.. I think he's doing better every day, our relationship is getting better too.

I'm still trying to learn words so I can communicate with him nicely.. for example I just bought him some new pangbahay or jammies as we would call them in preparation for cold weather :D That's a cool word because it's not just jammies but the sweat pants you can only wear around the house. And I learned this phrase from Mrs. Tagum. Sa Wakas! - At last! Now I can parrot that all the time to the amusement of Moose.

I think your wife will be happy with the channels.. it should be easier for her because you're both Filipino and can enjoy the same food and language in your house.
Is The Filipino Channel (TFC) well-known in Canada? :)

NewDad

Jan 1, 2013
For those Canadian men who sponsored Philippine wives, I am sure many of you filled out the forms for her. Does that make you her 'representative' and did you fill out that form? Or does CIC know that this happens all the time and this only needs to be filled out if a 3rd party does it. (That would be my guess but just asking.)

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
NewDad said:
For those Canadian men who sponsored Philippine wives, I am sure many of you filled out the forms for her. Does that make you her 'representative' and did you fill out that form? Or does CIC know that this happens all the time and this only needs to be filled out if a 3rd party does it. (That would be my guess but just asking.)
I think the representative is for a 3rd party. We filled out the forms together to make sure all the "T"s were crossed and "I"s were dotted. Two sets of eyes are better than one but my wife speaks perfect English too. If your wife's English is a little weak and you help out I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think the CIC would know if you filled it out for her as long as she signs it.

toopieNbinoo

Aug 30, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 25, 2012
File Transfer...
Mar. 6, 2013 (SA)
Med's Done....
Oct. 19, 2012
Passport Req..
Aug. 4, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Sept. 25, 2013
LANDED..........
Oct. 14, 2013
Hi I'm trying to sponsor my husband. Spousal Sponsorship/Family: This is the Ecas and Letters we got from CIC.

Sponsorship (DECISION MADE)
1. We received your application to sponsor toopieNbinoo on October 25, 2012.
2. We started processing your application on November 22, 2012.
3. We sent you a letter on March 6, 2013 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Permanent Residence (APPLICATION RECEIVED)
1. We received toopieNbinoo's application for permanent residence on October 25, 2012.
2. Medical results have been received.

--

On August 5, 2013
Dear toopieNbinoo:
This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada which was received at the Embassy of
Canada in Manila on 19 March 2013. A file has been created with the application number noted above. Please ensure that you quote this
application number in any future correspondence with our office. At the end of this document is a request for additional documentation required within 45 days. Once you have complied with this request, if any additional information or documentation is required to assess your application, we will contact you or your designated representative. Please note that the documentation requested in this letter is required even if you receive a subsequent letter from our office asking for additional documentation. Due to limited resources dedicated to processing the thousands of applications currently in process, we are unable to respond to requests for status updates on your file if they fall within the average processing times.

IMPORTANT: Additional Document/Information Requirements at This Time
In order to continue processing your application, we require the following information and/or documents:
• Fully Completed Appendix A (attached) for you and each of your family members, whether accompanying you to Canada or not. Passport details are not required for any family member who is not accompanying you to Canada. (Each person should complete his/her own form.)
• Valid National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) clearance for every family member age 18 and over (traveling to Canada), issued within the last six months, with thumbprint and dry seal affixed. Please send us the original copy. “Personal Copy” is not accepted. DO NOT FAX YOUR NBI
CLEARANCE.
• Original NSO Advisory on Marriages for yourself
• Copy of your child's birth certificate
• Original Passport(s) for you and each family member who will accompany you to Canada

--

Yes I have sent the additional documents already and they received it on Aug. 9, 2013. It's almost been a month waiting and not hearing a word from them. I see people's forms/timelines that they sent their passports and got it back within a few days. So now I am wondering. Are there other steps? Is this the last step? Cause my husband sent his passport, does that mean they will stamp his visa soon? How long will did you have to wait? How did the CEM contact you? Is there a way to inquire/figure out what CEM is doing to my husband's papers? I have so many more questions, but i think this is too many for now. Please reply back and let me know your feedback. Thank you!

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
CanadianJeepGuy said:
What all do you miss about the Philippines? Did you spend a lot of time here?

Pauluz

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
25 Jan 2013
Med's Done....
10 Dec 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11 Jul 2013
VISA ISSUED...
31 Oct 2013 (DM Status)
LANDED..........
Before Christmas
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Its really not a bad country to visit or even to live in. People are more laid back and more connected. I raised some eyebrows when I told my wife's family that I'm thinking of retiring there, considering everyone that I know is trying to leave the country to work abroad. Community spirit is very much alive. But one thing I miss the most is the food.

Pauluz

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
25 Jan 2013
Med's Done....
10 Dec 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11 Jul 2013
VISA ISSUED...
31 Oct 2013 (DM Status)
LANDED..........
Before Christmas
toopieNbinoo said:
Hi I'm trying to sponsor my husband. Spousal Sponsorship/Family: This is the Ecas and Letters we got from CIC.

Sponsorship (DECISION MADE)
1. We received your application to sponsor toopieNbinoo on October 25, 2012.
2. We started processing your application on November 22, 2012.
3. We sent you a letter on March 6, 2013 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Permanent Residence (APPLICATION RECEIVED)
1. We received toopieNbinoo's application for permanent residence on October 25, 2012.
2. Medical results have been received.

--

On August 5, 2013
Dear toopieNbinoo:
This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada which was received at the Embassy of
Canada in Manila on 19 March 2013. A file has been created with the application number noted above. Please ensure that you quote this
application number in any future correspondence with our office. At the end of this document is a request for additional documentation required within 45 days. Once you have complied with this request, if any additional information or documentation is required to assess your application, we will contact you or your designated representative. Please note that the documentation requested in this letter is required even if you receive a subsequent letter from our office asking for additional documentation. Due to limited resources dedicated to processing the thousands of applications currently in process, we are unable to respond to requests for status updates on your file if they fall within the average processing times.

IMPORTANT: Additional Document/Information Requirements at This Time
In order to continue processing your application, we require the following information and/or documents:
• Fully Completed Appendix A (attached) for you and each of your family members, whether accompanying you to Canada or not. Passport details are not required for any family member who is not accompanying you to Canada. (Each person should complete his/her own form.)
• Valid National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) clearance for every family member age 18 and over (traveling to Canada), issued within the last six months, with thumbprint and dry seal affixed. Please send us the original copy. “Personal Copy” is not accepted. DO NOT FAX YOUR NBI
CLEARANCE.
• Original NSO Advisory on Marriages for yourself
• Copy of your child's birth certificate
• Original Passport(s) for you and each family member who will accompany you to Canada

--

Yes I have sent the additional documents already and they received it on Aug. 9, 2013. It's almost been a month waiting and not hearing a word from them. I see people's forms/timelines that they sent their passports and got it back within a few days. So now I am wondering. Are there other steps? Is this the last step? Cause my husband sent his passport, does that mean they will stamp his visa soon? How long will did you have to wait? How did the CEM contact you? Is there a way to inquire/figure out what CEM is doing to my husband's papers? I have so many more questions, but i think this is too many for now. Please reply back and let me know your feedback. Thank you!
Yo, this looks like your PPR notice. I got mines on July 11, sent the required docs a few days later and have been waiting for the past two months. I think the delays are primarily because if the ongoing strike at the cem. For now I think all we can do is wait and pray.

Pauluz

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
25 Jan 2013
Med's Done....
10 Dec 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11 Jul 2013
VISA ISSUED...
31 Oct 2013 (DM Status)
LANDED..........
Before Christmas
superman08 said:
Is The Filipino Channel (TFC) well-known in Canada? :)
Yes especially to Filipino communities. You can get it in two ways, either as an add on to your regular service provider (I think in Ontario through rogers) or as a stand alone unit where you buy the cable box directly from a TFC dealer. The difference is the stand alone TFC shows aren't live. They're saved in the box as they become available then you can play it on demand. The shows are saved for a week. The add on TFC is live. Each has its own merrits.

Pauluz

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
25 Jan 2013
Med's Done....
10 Dec 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11 Jul 2013
VISA ISSUED...
31 Oct 2013 (DM Status)
LANDED..........
Before Christmas
Steph C said:

Good morning steph, if you need to learn Cebuano I'm always here to help. I really hope my wife gets her visa next week, sigh.. Judging on marcjd's recent approval.

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
Pauluz said:
Its really not a bad country to visit or even to live in. People are more laid back and more connected. I raised some eyebrows when I told my wife's family that I'm thinking of retiring there, considering everyone that I know is trying to leave the country to work abroad. Community spirit is very much alive. But one thing I miss the most is the food.
One thing that is for sure, We as North Americans get treated like kings or as I like to say, " a rockstar". I am often embarassed by the way I am treated. especially in the rural areas. They get chairs for me, I don't wait in lines at the bank etc. It's hard because if I decline the special treatment they might be offended. One thing you can't deny is how genuinely friendly the filipinos are. They will give you the shirt off their backs, even if they can't afford it. I give back as much as I can. The tough part for me is the widespread poverty and not being able to do much about it. I am not talking about "Canadian" poverty, but real poverty. Going forward, I really hope the government changes and distributes more funds to the people in need and not just feed their own bank accounts. The new online rage is North Americans getting virtual assistants and virtual techies in the Philippines that are highly skilled and educated but only pay them peanuts and think it's acceptable ($1-3 per hour). It's sad really, but a lot of them take the jobs because they need the money but it's still not enough for a comfortable life here with the education they have. okay, enough ranting.....

People always ask me why we live here and not in Canada as so many wish and dream to work and live abroad. For me, being here is a great way to learn about my wife's culture first hand. We had lived abroad in Costa Rica for many years where we both were "strangers in a strange land". It's been a good opportunity to live here where she was on her "home turf" and experience a different way of life than in Canada. Something I think all Canadian spouses should experience. I am still way too young to retire but I think it would be a cool place to hang one's hat at the last leg of the journey. There are definitely worse places to be in this great big sandbox we call earth.