+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manila Tread for English Speakers - join here!

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Luckyman said:
Just wanted to note my wife's experience at CFO office in Cebu.

She said that some were turned away because they didn't have proof of their relationship/marriage. Which in my opinion is garbage....because they don't note that as a requirement on the CFO website to attend the seminar. And seeing that it's a service that one pays for, I don't see why anyone couldn't take it, as It's one's own responsibility to ensure they have the correct requirements to leave the country. Plus one of the requirements is to have a ROM copy and original, but they still wanted to see pictures together and such. Luckily she had several on her phone.

Also for those that go to the seminar the day of.....or shortly before their flight, make sure to double check the correct spelling on the certificate, as they mis-spelled my surname twice, and there were others that didn't notice this until afterword's....meaning they will have to return there to get the correction.....I think this would be a great problem when trying to obtain your sticker to board a flight if it was missed.....especially if someone is excited.

Also, there was a lot of relationship and "past" questions during the personal interview segment, that I don't believe is CFO's responsibility to judge, as it's the VO responsibility to gauge genuineness.

They were asking her about my X, where she was from, why we got divorced.....etc...etc...

I thought the seminar was to help introduce cultural differences and to provide information on government programs etc. However, there were segments on the cultural and programs topics.

Anyway....hope everyone finds this useful.

Cheers!
I keep getting booted out every time I post.

Anyway just to add to this conversation my wife gots her's done after she picked up her new passport. She never mentioned anything about documents being required other than our marriage licence. This would have been the seminar held in Manila.

gortandmugs

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
File Transfer...
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
04/07/2012
Passport Req..
29/04/2013
VISA ISSUED...
17/05/2013
LANDED..........
13/06/2013
Steph C said:
It's based on a good idea.. but it seems to be aimed towards those poor young ladies who meet a foreigner on the internet and marry them with a lot of hopes and dreams and are potentially in danger of getting those dreams shattered. That whole thing is such a stereotype. Maybe they should have a seminar on how to deal with family members who ask for money once your abroad, lol.

Sorry I'm a bit OCD.. but does anybody know a hotel that's close to the CFO office in Cebu? :D
Hi Steph... just wanted to ask... I have had in process since Oct 16/12 should I put that on the spread sheet....

jarry96

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 17, 2012
AOR Received.
October 3, 2012
File Transfer...
October 4, 2012
Med's Done....
July 4, 2012
Passport Req..
April 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 29, 2013
gortandmugs said:
Hi Steph... just wanted to ask... I have had in process since Oct 16/12 should I put that on the spread sheet....
The Oct 16, 2012 date is for your phase 1, sponsor approval. Soon you will see on your ECAS another "In Process" for your wife's application for permanent residence. Good luck.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
gortandmugs said:
For the second part of ECAS you have to log in using your wife's details and not yours. Then if it says "in process" tell the Rooster he's fired!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
GoonerClank said:
Hi Steph,

Here is a good rundown on what to expect, it helped my wife out immensely.

valleyofcoconuts.blogspot.ca/2011/03/how-to-get-your-cfo-certificate-in-cebu.html

Prices might have changed a bit but the rundown is quite accurate.

Yes you can do it before, my wife did it in January while she was in Cebu. One recommendation is to get there early before they will cut off the number of people for that day.

As for hotels, I have stayed at the Quest (right next to Ayala) and Radisson (Right next to SM mall) would recommend both. Quest was having a huge sale when I was there of 50% off in November. Radisson is much more expensive.

They do present a few informative things for a filipino to be aware of, but in my opinion it is definitely geared towards woman marrying a man.
Thanks! And thanks to Luckyman as well. I don't know what was wrong with my email notifications, I just assumed it was a quiet day around here ::)

He agreed pretty quickly to go to Cebu.. tee-hee. I'm just looking up flights on Zest and I found a super cheap hotel 1 block away, Sampaguita Suites, although there are 2 different branches and I have to find the right one :-X Rooms are 698P a night so he can deal with no free continental bfast ;D I will just feel less stressed about the final steps when I know he got his CFO mostly out of the way.

I noticed it starts at 2pm - how far in advance do you think he should be there? We only have leeway of 1 day so we have to get in to the seminar :D

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wife showed up at around 1 and got in no problem. Just note that it's changed since the blog write up.

Cheers!

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
Steph C said:
For the second part of ECAS you have to log in using your wife's details and not yours. Then if it says "in process" tell the Rooster he's fired!
Isn't that our spouses/partners don't get their UCI until they get the COPR? My husband doesn't have a UCI number so we just use mine to check ECAS.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Iay said:
Isn't that our spouses/partners don't get their UCI until they get the COPR? My husband doesn't have a UCI number so we just use mine to check ECAS.
We just use the File # that's on the Sponsor Approval letter. The number is like an F000123445 kind of thing

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
Steph C said:
We just use the File # that's on the Sponsor Approval letter. The number is like an F000123445 kind of thing
Oh ok. I thought your husband got a UCI number.
So when you use file number or your UCi, will it show the same update?

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Iay said:
Oh ok. I thought your husband got a UCI number.
So when you use file number or your UCi, will it show the same update?
Yep 8)

Mrs.JGM613

Apr 25, 2013
Steph C said:
I read that the counseling is (or was) run by Nuns.. they will tell the ladies to not try and seek a job when in North America but to try and be a good wife! The Nun thing totally explains it.

I think I will ask him if he would like to do that in Cebu. Flights are pretty cheap, and it's comparable in price to staying an extra day or 2 in Manila.. especially since in Manila they run only 2 days a week and are liable to be full.

So I guess your wife will have to pick up the sticker in the Airport when she leaves?

Doljan if you read this.. what was your experience in CFO?

HI Steph!

Just wanna share my experience in CFO Cebu...

I was there last month and honestly, it wasn't really a good experience being there. The CFO certificate is a requirement for me to get a new passport with my husband's family name. I arrived there 9AM (straight from the airport!!), the guard-on-duty checked the documents i have (original and photocopy) and she gave me a form to fill-out. I waited for 3 hours for them to encode the data! Imagine, 3 hours! Past 12noon, they informed us that there's a lunchbreak and we need to go back at 1pm for the Seminar/Counselling... So I went back at 1pm and the Seminar didn't start until 2:30pm. They grouped the applicants based on the country of destination and so I was in "Canada/America group" with applicants who already have their Spousal/Fiance Visa. We were around 20people in the room, the one who conducted the seminar was a "counselling" officer ( She's NOT a nun). She had the powerpoint presentation, discussed briefly the cultural differences/married life/what to expect abroad, etc. It was informative and interactive since each one of us had the chance to speak and share our thoughts.It lasted for around 2 hours... after that, we were made to wait for the one-on-one interview...

Around 6pm, i had the interview. I can say the "officer" wasn't really that friendly. She asked personal matters on where, how, when did I meet my husband, our relationship history,etc and she wrote all the data on the form. Some were even asked of the Divorce Paper (if spouse is divorced) and yes, she asked for photos as proof of relationship (she acted like a Visa Officer screening my papers)..Good thing I brought 2-3 photos with me and got loads in my phone. I got my Certificate past 7pm.

The employees there can be intimidating, they will really test your patience... My advice to those who'll go there, be there as early as you can, be ready with the required documents (original and photocopy), bring photos of you and your spouse, have something to eat, be super patient, smile and have confidence in yourself. =)

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Mrs.JGM613 said:
HI Steph!

Just wanna share my experience in CFO Cebu...

I was there last month and honestly, it wasn't really a good experience being there. The CFO certificate is a requirement for me to get a new passport with my husband's family name. I arrived there 9AM (straight from the airport!!), the guard-on-duty checked the documents i have (original and photocopy) and she gave me a form to fill-out. I waited for 3 hours for them to encode the data! Imagine, 3 hours! Past 12noon, they informed us that there's a lunchbreak and we need to go back at 1pm for the Seminar/Counselling... So I went back at 1pm and the Seminar didn't start until 2:30pm. They grouped the applicants based on the country of destination and so I was in "Canada/America group" with applicants who already have their Spousal/Fiance Visa. We were around 20people in the room, the one who conducted the seminar was a "counselling" officer ( She's NOT a nun). She had the powerpoint presentation, discussed briefly the cultural differences/married life/what to expect abroad, etc. It was informative and interactive since each one of us had the chance to speak and share our thoughts.It lasted for around 2 hours... after that, we were made to wait for the one-on-one interview...

Around 6pm, i had the interview. I can say the "officer" wasn't really that friendly. She asked personal matters on where, how, when did I meet my husband, our relationship history,etc and she wrote all the data on the form. Some were even asked of the Divorce Paper (if spouse is divorced) and yes, she asked for photos as proof of relationship (she acted like a Visa Officer screening my papers)..Good thing I brought 2-3 photos with me and got loads in my phone. I got my Certificate past 7pm.

The employees there can be intimidating, they will really test your patience... My advice to those who'll go there, be there as early as you can, be ready with the required documents (original and photocopy), bring photos of you and your spouse, have something to eat, be super patient, smile and have confidence in yourself. =)
Whew! What a long day! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how they will treat my partner, we are not even married, what will they think of that :eek: I told him to say to them that we are Common Law.. and to bring all the documents. It sounds a bit intimidating but after a long day it would be even more stressful.. it's even worse that the time is posted from 2-5 but really for you it was 9am-7pm. ??? What a day :p

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Just checked my wife's ecas. Her address is my address but it still says application received.

GoonerClank

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2013
File Transfer...
11-04-2013
Med's Done....
24-01-2013 (Expires 24-02-2014)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-09-2013<br />DM: 23-01-2014<br />COPR expires: 20-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued: 24-01-2014
LANDED..........
15-02-2014
Steph C said:
Whew! What a long day! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how they will treat my partner, we are not even married, what will they think of that :eek: I told him to say to them that we are Common Law.. and to bring all the documents. It sounds a bit intimidating but after a long day it would be even more stressful.. it's even worse that the time is posted from 2-5 but really for you it was 9am-7pm. ??? What a day :p

I can also echo Mrs.JGM613's post. My wife was there from about 7am until 7pm (with a couple hour break for lunch). And I think even some people had to come back the next day to pick up the certificate. My wife had an early flight out the next morning so she got her certificate at about 6:30 pm. This was just after Sinulog Festival, so that might had something to do with it.

My advice would be to get their early, fill out the forms/questionnaire, plus bring lots of documentation/evidence. I would even print out the emails from CIC to show that they have approved sponsorship, etc...