+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mandatory Quarantine Plan

nrthstr1202

Jan 9, 2021
Hello Readers,

I'd like to get others' insight about the mandatory 14-day quarantine upon landing in Canada.

• Would an Airbnb accomodation work as long as it has a private entrance with its own bedroom and bathroom?

• How would transportation from the airport to the Airbnb work? As in would taking a taxi or an Uber work? Is public transportation fine to be used as long as I'm asymptomatic? (I know that I need to be the only single passenger, masked, sitting in the back seat diagonal to the driver with the windows open for ventilation.)

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
- Does your “private” accommodation have a kitchen? How are you eating?
- You take private transportation like a taxi or Uber and sit in the back seat with a mask.

Reactions: nrthstr1202

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
- I think it would work; if you do not cook, you can have meals delivered. If its just you who quarantine, I advise you not to make too much expenditure to book a full suite ;
- I do not think it is forbidden to take public transportation, probably taxi/Uber is just more advisable from sanitary view point. But public transportation with masks, distancing and extensive hand watching with disinfectant should not be a problem.

NB. If you have kid(s), I advise you to book an accommodation with at least a balcony if not private access to backyard. It is more expensive but necessary.
This is because such 14-day isolation can hurt kids mentally to some extent; I believe some neuro-psychologists (Boris Cyrulnik) assessed that confinement is an experience that has adverse consequences on mental health especially for kids. Access to balcony is a little mitigation. Definitely avoid basement with elevated/difficult to access windows and no view on day light. Also bring with you as much as possible toys/entertainment items for kids.
In Quebec, for example, children toys cannot be bought because they are considered 'non-essential' items; to the least it would be hard to find / order, so better to take your dispositions.

In regard to groceries delivery, some supermarkets like Metro are cheaper but deliver within 2 or 3 days, so you may want to request a delivery even before you land so you get items delivered on your 1st day or so.

Make sure you have a mobile SIM / number that works when you arrive. Beware that SIM card vendors at the airport may be closed if your arrival is late in the day. You can also use TextNow and set it up before you arrive.

nrthstr1202

Jan 9, 2021
- Does your “private” accommodation have a kitchen? How are you eating?
- You take private transportation like a taxi or Uber and sit in the back seat with a mask.
It does have a kitchen but I'll probably likely use meal delivery services. Okay, I thought so on your transportation info. Thank you for your input.

nrthstr1202

Jan 9, 2021
- I think it would work; if you do not cook, you can have meals delivered. If its just you who quarantine, I advise you not to make too much expenditure to book a full suite ;
- I do not think it is forbidden to take public transportation, probably taxi/Uber is just more advisable from sanitary view point. But public transportation with masks, distancing and extensive hand watching with disinfectant should not be a problem.

NB. If you have kid(s), I advise you to book an accommodation with at least a balcony if not private access to backyard. It is more expensive but necessary.
This is because such 14-day isolation can hurt kids mentally to some extent; I believe some neuro-psychologists (Boris Cyrulnik) assessed that confinement is an experience that has adverse consequences on mental health especially for kids. Access to balcony is a little mitigation. Definitely avoid basement with elevated/difficult to access windows and no view on day light. Also bring with you as much as possible toys/entertainment items for kids.
In Quebec, for example, children toys cannot be bought because they are considered 'non-essential' items; to the least it would be hard to find / order, so better to take your dispositions.

In regard to groceries delivery, some supermarkets like Metro are cheaper but deliver within 2 or 3 days, so you may want to request a delivery even before you land so you get items delivered on your 1st day or so.

Make sure you have a mobile SIM / number that works when you arrive. Beware that SIM card vendors at the airport may be closed if your arrival is late in the day. You can also use TextNow and set it up before you arrive.
Thank you for the thorough response. This is quite helpful especially about the food delivery services that these may take a couple of days to reach me and the mobile advice.

I can't seem to find the guidelines of the 14-day quarantine on IRCC's website so I can cross-check and refer to that. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Is public transportation fine to be used as long as I'm asymptomatic?
Yes, it's fine as long as you take the shortest route to your destination. If by public transport you mean the UP Express or something then that's OK. If you mean a Greyhound bus halfway across the country then that's probably less OK.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Public transportation is NOT an option even if you are asymptomatic because you can still be shedding virus.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
The UP is definitely not ok and that is public transportation. Your options are uber, taxi or private car
No it is. The UP is running and there was a billboard at the station when I was last there saying you shouldn't use it if you're symptomatic. There is no restriction on any government webpage I have ever seen that dictates you need get to your final destination in a private vehicle. Only that you should avoid public transit if at all possible but for some people that isn't an option.

This is the only official guidance on the matter.

Getting to your place of quarantine (final destination)
  • Go directly to your place of quarantine without delay and stay there for 14 days from the date you arrived in Canada
  • You must wear a non-medical mask or face covering while in transit
  • Practice physical distancing at all times and avoid contact with others
  • Some provinces and territories have additional COVID-19 measures in place. We encourage all travellers to check provincial and territorial restrictions
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation

In some ways using public transit is actually the safer option since they are enforcing additional hygiene measures whereas there is no guarantee of that with a taxi driver.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No it is. The UP is running and there was a billboard at the station when I was last there saying you shouldn't use it if you're symptomatic. There is no restriction on any government webpage I have ever seen that dictates you need get to your final destination in a private vehicle. Only that you should avoid public transit if at all possible but for some people that isn't an option.

In some ways using public transit is actually the safer option since they are enforcing and additional hygiene measures whereas there is no guarantee of that with a taxi driver.

In some ways using public transit is actually the safer option since they are enforcing and additional hygiene measures whereas there is no guarantee of that with a taxi driver.
First of all it is common sense. You are being asked to quarantine to limit the spread to Canadian residents. Exposing tons of people while going to your quarantine locations makes no sense. You can’t stop at the grocery store on your way by car but you think people can take the TTC or UP to get home? Public transportation isn’t cleaned after every passenger and some modes of public transportation remain quite full especially at rush hour so definitely not the safer option for the other riders. Each local public health office states the rules about their public transportation and it has been repeatedly said you should go directly to your destination by car. Many taxis have partitions now, drive with the windows open and masks on. Asymptomatic does not mean you are not contagious. When going through your quarantine plan at the airport you are asked how you will be getting to your quarantine location. It should spell out explocitly on the website instead it says go directly which is unclear but actually mean go from the airport to your quarantine location and not associate with others.

https://iesc.uwo.ca/internationalarrival2020/transportation_from_the_airport.html (see instructions in red)
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g153339-i49-k13296137-o40-Quarantine_question_s_returning_Canadian_expat-Canada.html

Would add that the billboard is not for travellers arriving at Pearson it is for people who use UP to commute.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Public transportation is NOT an option even if you are asymptomatic because you can still be shedding virus.
Could you please indicate where is it officially stated that public transportation is NOT an option?

Unless you convince me that public transportation is not allowed by government, then why incur the OP unnecessarily high fees for a taxi ride when using public transportation would be a lawful option.

Do you realize that all people presently arriving to Canada are RT-PCR tested negative? It is not full proof but most likely the virus is not present in the nose at the time of boarding, so most likely so few hours further depending on your flight length, so the probability to spread the virus is drastically reduced especially for asymptomatic travelers. I worry more about the traveler getting infected then spreading an infection.

Then it is also a matter of common sense and which province your are heading to; for instance if there is curfew, most likely public transit will be empty and that is even safer provided hands are cleaned extensively. Depending on province, actually there are lockdowns in force which mean that public transportation are most of day relatively empty.

As a personal note, taxis are not a 100% guarantee of virus free environment. Who know if the cab has been properly ventilated and sanitized, so care should be exercised with taxis too.

Finally, if it is the law fine; if it is not conflicting with the law and Covid-19 regulations then OP should take the option within their financial means.

This is the official guideline and I do not see that public transportation is prohibited for people WITHOUT symptoms:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

Please advise the evidence otherwise.

Reactions: BenLinus6

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
I agree with you. I take public transportation in Montreal and the sanitary measures are strictly enforced. I do not know about other provinces.
If one pays attention and exercise caution (extensive hands cleaning over and over and staying away from people all the time) then I would say the risk is relatively mitigated.
But frankly speaking this also has to do with the fact that there is lockdown here and that there is no rush, so most of the time the transportation are not crowded at all. I have seen some metro stations almost empty.

If public transportation were to be crowded (at even a fraction of pre Covid-19 traffic levels) I would my self refrain from taking public transportation even with all protective measures and all the paranoia I am capable of.

nrthstr1202

Jan 9, 2021
Yes, it's fine as long as you take the shortest route to your destination. If by public transport you mean the UP Express or something then that's OK. If you mean a Greyhound bus halfway across the country then that's probably less OK.
Wondering what UP Express is? Care to fill me in?