+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Making a claim at the border

AAA12345

Sep 19, 2017
My friend is currently on a visitor visa in the US. He's visiting his brother who's a US citizen. This same friend has another brother whom is an accepted convention refugee in Canada. They were wondering whether the American brother can drive his brother through the us border to make a claim at the Canadian border. Would this create any issues for the American brother, would the American brother be allowed into Canada with the refugee claimant brother? Would it create issues for him when crossing into Canada in the future?

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Tricky situation. I don't know if this could create issues for the US Citizen in the future. Canada is in it's right to deny the US Citizen entry if the officer is not convinced that he will return to the US. I guess the officer might not be convinced if he checks and finds that the US Citizen has other family members that claimed refugee in Canada.

Last edited:

AAA12345

Sep 19, 2017
Tricky situation. I don't know if this could create issues for the US Citizen in the future. Canada is in it's right to deny the US Citizen entry if the officer is not convinced that he will return to the US. I guess the officer might not be convinced if he checks and finds that the US Citizen has other family members that claimed refugee in Canada.
Thank you for your input gavendano. I just want to add that the American brother has been to Canada a couple of times and left. The only reason why he wants to come in this is just to drive his brother and come back to the US after. Otherwise, do you guys know whether there's a border crossing near Vancouver where pedestrians can walk to the Canadian border?

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Thank you for your input gavendano. I just want to add that the American brother has been to Canada a couple of times and left. The only reason why he wants to come in this is just to drive his brother and come back to the US after. Otherwise, do you guys know whether there's a border crossing near Vancouver where pedestrians can walk to the Canadian border?
Peace Arch border crossing in Blaine WA