+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining US and Canadian PR by commuting to Canada from US

Falcon_7X

Apr 12, 2021
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and not sure if my this specific question has been answered, specially in light of recent developments at the border. Here is my situation:

I became US permanent resident in October, 2020 (after waiting for 10+ years in employment based case) while I was going through Canadian PR application. Last week we got Canadian COPR documents for the whole family with document expiration date in September 2021. Currently we are debating and trying to figure out a way if we (or at least one of us) can maintain Canadian PR while staying in US. My wife has been working from home for the past 10 years and she can essentially move anywhere in US and can continue to work with same employer. I am interested in starting my own business. One of the option we are thinking is to move to Detroit area. My wife and kids will stay in Detroit Michigan and I can commute to Windsor area on a daily basis to manage by business/job there ( I still need to figure that portion out). Our goal is that at least one us ( myself or my wife) can satisfy three year Canadian residency requirements and become Citizen. I understand that current border conditions might not allow it, but this situation/question is for the future where hopefully things will go back to normal.

With this plan we will maintain strong ties to US and hopefully can avoid any CBP issues at the border and still be able to meet Canadian residency requirements.

I just wanted to ask expert's advise on this situation and see if this plan has any chances of success or if it is too optimistic...

I appreciate your time and responses.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and not sure if my this specific question has been answered, specially in light of recent developments at the border. Here is my situation:

I became US permanent resident in October, 2020 (after waiting for 10+ years in employment based case) while I was going through Canadian PR application. Last week we got Canadian COPR documents for the whole family with document expiration date in September 2021. Currently we are debating and trying to figure out a way if we (or at least one of us) can maintain Canadian PR while staying in US. My wife has been working from home for the past 10 years and she can essentially move anywhere in US and can continue to work with same employer. I am interested in starting my own business. One of the option we are thinking is to move to Detroit area. My wife and kids will stay in Detroit Michigan and I can commute to Windsor area on a daily basis to manage by business/job there ( I still need to figure that portion out). Our goal is that at least one us ( myself or my wife) can satisfy three year Canadian residency requirements and become Citizen. I understand that current border conditions might not allow it, but this situation/question is for the future where hopefully things will go back to normal.

With this plan we will maintain strong ties to US and hopefully can avoid any CBP issues at the border and still be able to meet Canadian residency requirements.

I just wanted to ask expert's advise on this situation and see if this plan has any chances of success or if it is too optimistic...

I appreciate your time and responses.

Thank you
The US tends to have issues with this type of an arrangement. If Canada goes back to requiring proof of an intent to establish yourself in Canada to gain citizenship you could also run into problems. Is there a reason why after getting a green card after so many years you are now pursuing PR in Canada? What is the end goal? People tend to apply for PR because they can’t secure a green card so not sure why you can’t just remain in the US?

Falcon_7X

Apr 12, 2021
The US tends to have issues with this type of an arrangement. If Canada goes back to requiring proof of an intent to establish yourself in Canada to gain citizenship you could also run into problems. Is there a reason why after getting a green card after so many years you are now pursuing PR in Canada? What is the end goal? People tend to apply for PR because they can’t secure a green card so not sure why you can’t just remain in the US?
Hi Thank you @canuck78 for your response. Reason we are still interested is because we have a large extended family/relatives in Canada and my sister's family is also planning to immigrate to Canada. Long term plan will be if all the family can be together, that's all. Thanks again.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Like above, US does not like it if you maintain permanent residence elsewhere. You will have to choose between US or Canada. My recommendation, choose US. As a US LPR/Citizen, you can visit your Canadian family very easily.

raheelpk

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
@Falcon_7X

You please don't listen to negative responses and simply ignore them especially by canuck78. There are many here who have hell of free time to post negative response to each and every post. You wouldn't get a decent response from many here, actually don't need any advice.

Your plan is simply wonderful I would say. You should delay your landing till the last days and then complete the landing formalities and go back to Canada to complete the US GC process. Wait until the borders are open between US and CAD and then you can simply stay near CAD boarded to visit CAD everyday. Once you have visited CAD, the day will be counted towards residency obligation. I read somewhere that once you are in CAD the day is counted regardless of time spent.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Falcon_7X

You please don't listen to negative responses and simply ignore them especially by canuck78. There are many here who have hell of free time to post negative response to each and every post. You wouldn't get a decent response from many here, actually don't need any advice.

Your plan is simply wonderful I would say. You should delay your landing till the last days and then complete the landing formalities and go back to Canada to complete the US GC process. Wait until the borders are open between US and CAD and then you can simply stay near CAD boarded to visit CAD everyday. Once you have visited CAD, the day will be counted towards residency obligation. I read somewhere that once you are in CAD the day is counted regardless of time spent.
Not sure what your issue is but it is quite easy to visit Canada and the US has historically made people select the US or Canada if you are a PR and green card holder. Would add that this family is not planning on working at a Canadian business or living in Canada which could also create issues when/if applying for citizenship.

Falcon_7X

Apr 12, 2021
Thank you for your concerns and taking time to provide your feedback based upon your experiences. Appreciate that.