+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining the US phone number in Canada

RadhikaNag

Sep 15, 2020
Hello Everyone,
We moved to Canada this year on PR. Currently, I am looking for the options to keep my US phone number (T-mobile) for some months by porting it to any of the online providers like google voice. Could anyone share their experience?

ShivaOm

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
I've had TMOBILE for 6 years in Canada, and keep it because the rates are so much lower than canada rates and it has worldwide data.

Every six months or so I get a message say most of my data use is outside of the US and that I'm violating my contract, but they still haven't canceled it, and I don't expect them to.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
You can keep it in the way @ShivaOm describes, and just hope they let you, or you could use an online service e. g. Google Voice. There's a few hidden minuses you might want to keep in mind, though:
  • Because you're roaming, you're at a low priority on the network you're on and your service may suffer
  • People without international calling can't call you from their Canadian phones
  • It may seem odd to have a US number after being in Canada for so long to employers, acquaintances, etc.
  • Weird quirks, like having to dial the +1 before dialing any number

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
AT&T has a 12 month $300 prepaid plan that offers roaming data in Canada. Are you thinking of keeping it as your sole number or getting Canadian number and keeping the US number?

ShivaOm

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
You can keep it in the way @ShivaOm describes, and just hope they let you, or you could use an online service e. g. Google Voice. There's a few hidden minuses you might want to keep in mind, though:
  • Because you're roaming, you're at a low priority on the network you're on and your service may suffer
  • People without international calling can't call you from their Canadian phones
  • It may seem odd to have a US number after being in Canada for so long to employers, acquaintances, etc.
  • Weird quirks, like having to dial the +1 before dialing any number
None of this stuff has been a problem. Granted I don't use a lot of data, but for basic maps and such it' fine.

Usually people who have a problem with calling US nubmer just have me call them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've had TMOBILE for 6 years in Canada, and keep it because the rates are so much lower than canada rates and it has worldwide data.

Every six months or so I get a message say most of my data use is outside of the US and that I'm violating my contract, but they still haven't canceled it, and I don't expect them to.
Wouldn't be too confident. We have seen others had their service eventually terminated at a certain point.

karthicktalk

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
AT&T has a 12 month $300 prepaid plan that offers roaming data in Canada. Are you thinking of keeping it as your sole number or getting Canadian number and keeping the US number?
How can i get that sim card inside canada, i tried at & t site, they ship that only to US, is there anywhere else, that i get inside canada?

karthicktalk

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
I want to keep a US number phone, just basic plan, i am not finding anything within canada. Any info will be helpful, thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you live in Canada and how regularly you retuen to the US you may lose your US coverage at a point. If you don't spend enough time in the US and appear to be living in Canada. If your goal is to keep the number VOIP may be a better option.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
ATT is your best bet. Either prepaid or postpaid is fine. They have removed the clause of having primary usage in US so it works indefinitely without issues. I also know two people who have been using it for years and one of them is using since 3 years without ever coming in to US.

Simplejustice

Jan 28, 2020
Hello Everyone,
We moved to Canada this year on PR. Currently, I am looking for the options to keep my US phone number (T-mobile) for some months by porting it to any of the online providers like google voice. Could anyone share their experience?
You can port it to Google Voice (it cost me a one time US $15 8years ago,
  1. Then get another free US number with Talkatone (iOS and Android APP).
  2. Forward the Google voice (the number you ported) to the US Talkatone number,
  3. Then forward the Talkatone number to your current Canada number.
Talkatone forward cost CAD 5 per month. I've been using this for almost 8 years now without issues.

Reactions: astraldust

Sid243

Jun 12, 2020
I ported my t-mobile number to a virtual phone using openphone.com app, I have forwarding enabled from my US number to Canadian number. I pay USD 10 every month, been using it since 2 years now.

Reactions: astraldust

MediaMaverick

Sep 6, 2019
I have an iPhone. I kept my US ATT service (unlimited calls/text/data in Canada) and also have a separate Canadian number on same phone. Only pay $15 for that. IPhones allow you to have two lines. It works great. Easy for my family to call me from US and much cheaper re: data use than Canadian options.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup