N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
You can port it to Google Voice (it cost me a one time US $15 8years ago,
  1. Then get another free US number with Talkatone (iOS and Android APP).
  2. Forward the Google voice (the number you ported) to the US Talkatone number,
  3. Then forward the Talkatone number to your current Canada number.
Talkatone forward cost CAD 5 per month. I've been using this for almost 8 years now without issues.
OK, dumb question, but it is not possible to forward the Google voice number directly to the new Canada number? Do you need a Talkatone number as the middleman? Sorry, I don't know much about Google voice, but I'm contemplating how to switch to a Canadian phone plan and number, while keeping my US number, too.

Last edited:

mkdirjavac

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
20-10-2019
Passport Req..
05-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2020
OK, dumb question, but it is not possible to forward the Google voice number directly to the new Canada number? Do you need a Talkatone number as the middleman? Sorry, I don't know much about Google voice, but I'm contemplating how to switch to a Canadian phone plan and number, while keeping my US number, too.
Hi there, no Google Voice can't forward to Canadian number. I currently have a At&T number and am contemplating to get a Canadian number as well. Did my research and find out GV can only forward to a US based number. So after you port your US number to Google Voice, there would be no US number on file for forwarding, thus you still need to add a new US number for it to forward to.

IMO, you either:
1, keep your current US number and forward any calls and messages to your new Canadian number through current carrier. My AT&T fees: $30/month - cheapest plan I can find.
2, port US number to GV then get a new cheap virtual US number. FEES: one time $20 fee to port from eligible carriers to GV, plus new virtual US number fees(CAD $5/month for services like talkatone)

Only concern I have is how's VOIP call quality compare to cell's. Hope someone had past experience can chime in.

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/754209?hl=en

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hi there, no Google Voice can't forward to Canadian number. I currently have a At&T number and am contemplating to get a Canadian number as well. Did my research and find out GV can only forward to a US based number. So after you port your US number to Google Voice, there would be no US number on file for forwarding, thus you still need to add a new US number for it to forward to.

IMO, you either:
1, keep your current US number and forward any calls and messages to your new Canadian number through current carrier. My AT&T fees: $30/month - cheapest plan I can find.
2, port US number to GV then get a new cheap virtual US number. FEES: one time $20 fee to port from eligible carriers to GV, plus new virtual US number fees(CAD $5/month for services like talkatone)

Only concern I have is how's VOIP call quality compare to cell's. Hope someone had past experience can chime in.

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/754209?hl=en
Since I still have my US phone plan (Sprint/T-Mobile; $60/month, includes calls and 5GB data in Canada & Mexico) I make sure that I am on VoIP or Wi-Fi before making calls, unless I absolutely can't avoid it. Been doing this for 2 years now, and if you have a strong to decent internet connection, I feel the call quality is just fine.

Last edited: