+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining PR status

Ajvayani

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
Dear all,

My wife got her PR in Nov 2018 and after spending 2 weeks she left Canada which was in Dec 2018. She left Canada because she had to resume her studies back home. Now in September 2019, she will travel to Canada for a month during her semester break.

My question is will there be any problem if she is travelling after 8 months or will it effect on her PR card status?

She is finishing her university in August 2020 and then she will permanently move to Canada and sponsor me.

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As long as she has a PR card or a PRTD which she will need to board a plane she will have no problem at all returning given as a PR she is entitled to enter Canada. In any case the residency obligation is 2 years out of 5 years from initial landing and she has only been away 8 months and only becomes an issue if she stayed away without returning at all until November 2021, but August 2020 is no problem at all. .

Ajvayani

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
As long as she has a PR card or a PRTD which she will need to board a plane she will have no problem at all returning given as a PR she is entitled to enter Canada. In any case the residency obligation is 2 years out of 5 years from initial landing and she has only been away 8 months and only becomes an issue if she stayed away without returning at all until November 2021, but August 2020 is no problem at all. .
Thanks Bs65.

For family class visa like if my wife sponsor me is it mandatory for my wife to live there until I get my visa or PR card? Can’t she just apply for me and comeback to continue her studies?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks Bs65.

For family class visa like if my wife sponsor me is it mandatory for my wife to live there until I get my visa or PR card? Can’t she just apply for me and comeback to continue her studies?
She has to be physically present in Canada as a PR to sponsor you and stay here during the whole process.

pat331

Jul 24, 2019
I have a question, in the express entry pool is it only people with masters and bachelors are qualified to be given PR. Cos my cousin has a National diploma, Higher diploma and a post graduate from a university evaluated by WES. What category is he to select,cos the ECA report states for the HND ( diploma a three year program and a one year postgraduate

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks Bs65.

She cannot sponsor you until she returns to live in Canada in August 2020 and then must stay in Canada during the process other than a few short vacations out of the country. Spouse sponsorship could take up to 12 months on average so should be prepared to be apart for a while,

pat331

Jul 24, 2019
Dear all,
I have a question, in the express entry pool is it only people with masters and bachelors are qualified to be given PR. Cos my cousin has a National diploma, Higher diploma and a post graduate from a university evaluated by WES. What category is he to select,cos the ECA report states for the HND ( diploma a three year program and a one year postgraduate. Need some answers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,
I have a question, in the express entry pool is it only people with masters and bachelors are qualified to be given PR. Cos my cousin has a National diploma, Higher diploma and a post graduate from a university evaluated by WES. What category is he to select,cos the ECA report states for the HND ( diploma a three year program and a one year postgraduate. Need some answers
No - it's not just people with masters and bachelor degrees - although having a degree (espeically a higher degree) certianly helps. It's all about points. You need to have enough points to be selected. You can have enough points without a degree (although harder to do).

pat331

Jul 24, 2019
No - it's not just people with masters and bachelor degrees - although having a degree (espeically a higher degree) certianly helps. It's all about points. You need to have enough points to be selected. You can have enough points without a degree (although harder to do).
Really, Ontario did send him a notification of interest,after which he applied they said they needed a BSC or something higher. I am now wondering isn't post graduate higher than BSC?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Really, Ontario did send him a notification of interest,after which he applied they said they needed a BSC or something higher. I am now wondering isn't post graduate higher than BSC?
That's a different immigration program. Each program has its own rules and requirements.

For FSW/Express Entry there is no degree requirement.

For the Ontario PNP program, you need to have at least a Bachelor degree. No - a post graduate diploma is not considered to be a higher level of study than a Bachelor degree.

pat331

Jul 24, 2019
So there have been cases where HND holders are given PR in the express entry stream
That's a different immigration program. Each program has its own rules and requirements.

For the Ontario PNP program, you need to have at least a Bachelor degree. No - a post graduate diploma is not considered to be a higher level of study than a Bachelor degree.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So there have been cases where HND holders are given PR in the express entry stream
Yes - of course. If they have enough overall points. Right now a person needs to have 460+ points to be selected out of the pool.

pat331

Jul 24, 2019
Yes - of course. If they have enough overall points. Right now a person needs to have 460+ points to be selected out of the pool.

I would like to know if can he apply to other provincial program? Also if he asked when applying to any provincial nominee program what should be his answer. Kindly note that Ontario just said the application is incomplete, so that wasn't actually a refusal. So what will be his chances ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would like to know if can he apply to other provincial program? Also if he asked when applying to any provincial nominee program what should be his answer. Kindly note that Ontario just said the application is incomplete, so that wasn't actually a refusal. So what will be his chances ?
He can certainly look into other provincial programs. I can't tell you which ones he qualifies for and should apply for - or what his chances are. He will need to do this research himself if he is really serious about immigrating to Canada - or alternatively hire an immigration lawyer to assist him.

pat331

Jul 24, 2019
He can certainly look into other provincial programs. I can't tell you which ones he qualifies for and should apply for - or what his chances are. He will need to do this research himself if he is really serious about immigrating to Canada - or alternatively hire an immigration lawyer to assist him.
If he is being asked by the province during hisbappl