+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintain or decline PR status

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by Alex Sin, Sep 2, 2019.

  1. Dear all,

    I had a personal question regarding my PR status. I obtained a PR status in Feb 2017 (through my wife who is a Canadian national). At the time, we were supposed to settle in Canada. However, at the time, my wife got a new job in France, and we decided to accept it and stay in France. Since then, we had two children, and decided to stay in France, as it was also closer to our parents (and we liked our jobs there)

    1. I assume that I can't really keep my PR card and that I should return it (as this is set to expire in Feb. 2021). What is the preferred process to decline / return my PR card?

    2. My wife and I still have the project to settle in Canada (maybe when the kids will be a bit older). Do you think this would prevent our chances to re-obtain a PR in the future?

    Many thanks for your help,
  2. #2 Bs65, Sep 2, 2019 at 6:01 AM
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Others can comment as well but just for clarification you landed in Canada 2/2017 with your wife with the intention of settling in Canada and then your wife got a job in France so you as a PR accompanied her, a Canadian citizen, to France ?

    You are aware of the accompany a citizen abroad option for a PR to keep their PR status ?

    1)this should not even be a consideration if the above scenario is valid.

    PR status itself never expires and can only be revoked or renounced only PR cards expire and if they do then to travel back a holder would apply for a PRTD which if above scenario fits for you then you would include proof of accompanying your wife abroad.

    2)if you did decide to renounce your PR status, which is what you would need to do and not just return your card, then sure your wife could sponsor you again that time with the kids.

    As said others can add comments as there are many discussions on here on how the accompany a citizen abroad process works , even down to how long before moving time spent in Canada .

    Above just my view but ultimately renouncing PR status should always be a last option to consider unless absolutely necessary given keeping it has no impact until such time someone wants to return
  3. In addition to what bs65 said.

    If your wife is a Canadian citizen AND was born in Canada (ie did not gain citizenship through descent ftom her parrnts), then she should apply for Canadian citizenship for the children now. Once you have this you csn apply for Canadian passports at any time should you residrnce intentions change. It can take several months for their citizenship to go through.
  4. Thank you both! Super helpful :)
    @Hurlabrick , indeed we already applied for canadian citizenship for our children! I am not sure I understood your point, but are you saying that I am also eligible for the Canadian citizenship? That sounds far fetched as I am a PR who never settled in canada but just asking...

    @Bs65 thank you! I didn’t know the accompany a citizen option. To be technically correct, I was alone the first time I landed in Canada. At the time, we were supposed to come back few weeks after that to settle but she got a job in France... i assume that this should quality. Then I assume that I should apply for a PRTD next time we want to settle in Canada. What about if we want to go just for a tourist visit and my PR card has expired - should I just apply for a tourist visa?

    Many thanks all for your great help!
  5. No, I am not saying that at all. I am simply suggesting you get the kids sorted for Canadian citizenship, that way, if or when you decide to go for spousal sponsorship, all you would then need for the kids would be Canadian passports. By the sounds of it, you have already done this.
  6. Indeed I did :) Thanks again!
  7. You are a PR and therefore don't qualify for any form of tourist visa. You will need a PR card or PRTD to board a plane to Canada.
  8. What canuck in uk said.

    In addition to this, it is also possible to fly to the USA, then cross at a land border into Canada, as the CBSA agents can then check your OR status on their systems

Share This Page