+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Main n core Issues that needs to be addressed when u enter alberta ,calgary

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by waqari, Feb 8, 2012.

  1. I will be on work permit visa for one year after landing in alberta, Calgary what main issues to be addressed asap or main things that needs to be done quickly (besides job and accomodation as they as a whole a separate issue) as a new comer.like sin no,bank account opening etc.

    Please be specific and in detail.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. SIN number, Health card, Bank account, Drivers license and once you have your accommodation, utilities.
  3. Thanks Leon for your response.

    1)How do i get SIN number ?what is the process ?
    2)How do i get Heatlth Card and opening Bank account process

  4. SIN Number: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml

    Alberta Health: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q-how-to-register.html

    Bank account: Go to a bank and tell them you want to open an account.
  5. n for transportation what i need like bus pass how would i get it...is there any other main things n issues besides that
  6. Transit passes here: http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/Passes.html
  7. Thanks Leon i really appreciate your help.
    one last question can i avail all these things while i granted a work permit visa is there restrictions on work permit visa holders for that.

    n lastly i guess these were all the main issues that needs to be addressed .right.

    once again thank u soo much.
  8. no restrictions,sin no digit will be slightly different because ur on WP.
    click on link below for health card application
  9. The only thing that will be different for a person on a work permit is that their SIN number will start with 9 and it will have an expiry date. Everything else is the same.

    One more issue maybe with renting. Make sure when you rent a place and do your move-in walk through that all damages are listed on the walk through report and you get a copy of that. Also take pictures. That way they can not blame you for damages when you move out if they were already there when you moved in. Alberta landlords sometimes like to play tricks to keep your damage deposit. Also when you do the move-out walk through, do not sign the report if it lists any damages you did not cause.

    Also be vary of contracts and signing up for things. For example, there are people who will offer you a free newspaper for a month but they actually subscribe you do it and before you know it, you will have a bill. Also don't tell your SIN number to just anybody. You need it for tax purposes and employment and the bank but you shouldn't give it to anybody else.

Share This Page