+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Main Duties in Reference Letters

MrGreen

Jul 11, 2020
Waterloo, ON
Just wanted to know if people copy-paste the "Main Duties" from the NOC description, or paraphrase every main duty, or write what they actually think they do.

For example, my NOC is 2173 (Software Engineer) as per my Work Permit, but my title is "Machine Learning Engineer". I write project plans, gather the data, build predictive models, and deploy them to production. All these require coding. None of these terms are present in the NOC description and "Machine Learning Engineer" is not listed as an example.

Should I write what I actually do or just copy-paste the NOC description?

Timbuktu_14

Champion Member
Feb 5, 2020
Just wanted to know if people copy-paste the "Main Duties" from the NOC description, or paraphrase every main duty, or write what they actually think they do.

For example, my NOC is 2173 (Software Engineer) as per my Work Permit, but my title is "Machine Learning Engineer". I write project plans, gather the data, build predictive models, and deploy them to production. All these require coding. None of these terms are present in the NOC description and "Machine Learning Engineer" is not listed as an example.

Should I write what I actually do or just copy-paste the NOC description?
Do not copy and paste! I repeat, do NOT!! Have your company write what you are doing/did and match with the closest NOC. Copy and paste is a straight rejection.