+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing Passports from Outside the US for PR stamp

ainpdude

Nov 29, 2008
folks,

i will appreciate if anybody can provide link to discussion if they can recal related
to the topic of mailing passports from outside the US to Canadaian consulate for
PR stamping...

Some of us have moved to home country after nomination and PR application and
in some cases medicals... so how do you plan to get the PR stamp if the file
is not transferred to your home country consulate ... rather a local consulate in US...
(or pls correct me if my understanding is wrong...)

I mean mailing passports outside country is illegal correct... any thoughts

differentquestion

Jan 4, 2008
Passports can not be legally mailed to another country. That means the file has to be transferred for local processing or you have to be transferred (maybe on a business visa) to get the passport stamped!!!

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I know that passport cannot be mailed to a different country, but what about the employer driven PNP who live in Canada and process their case in Buffalo. They do mail the passport to US. Is this illegal too?

venky321

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2016
AOR Received.
26-05-2016
Has anyone asked Buffalo if they would transfer the case to the home country for the final stage of processing , i.e. for Passport Request?

differentquestion

Jan 4, 2008
Yes, I believe it is illegal. Incase of employer driven stream, one should file in home town office and not in Buffalo.
Passports can NOT be mailed across political borders. PERIOD!!!

ingegarcia said:
I know that passport cannot be mailed to a different country, but what about the employer driven PNP who live in Canada and process their case in Buffalo. They do mail the passport to US. Is this illegal too?

ainpdude

Nov 29, 2008
differentquestion said:
Yes, I believe it is illegal. Incase of employer driven stream, one should file in home town office and not in Buffalo.
Passports can NOT be mailed across political borders. PERIOD!!!

ingegarcia said:

while its completely justifiable that passport cannot be mailed across borders... i am aware of
one person whose case was being processed CIC Manila and the person was working in Canada ..
she had to send the passport to Manila for CIC stamping.... its quiet confusing with the passport
rules and CIC processes...

akk

Sep 2, 2008
On my research few months ago, I have read about some people that sent passport out of the country, and it was not just one person, not two people, but much more than that, and not just to Canada, but to London and US as well.

So, unless someone put a link from a reliable canadian immigration website saying that they will not ask people to send passports out of the country, because it is illegal, don't take user's opinion as truth. Just wait to see how the cases will be processed...

Akk

venky321

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2016
AOR Received.
26-05-2016
Maybe the law is different for different countries.

I think one's best option if mailing a passport is illegal in one's country is to arrange for a close friend or relative who is visiting the US to carry the passport with him/her and pick up the visa.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

venky321 said:
Maybe the law is different for different countries.

I think one's best option if mailing a passport is illegal in one's country is to arrange for a close friend or relative who is visiting the US to carry the passport with him/her and pick up the visa.
Actually in very few countries is it illegal to mail passports in and out of the country. India is one. Think it through, some Canadian visa offices are responsible for 5 or 6 countries, how do you think the passports get there? Also they will not transfer the "final" processing to another office to issue the visa. Another thing to keep in mind, is that most of the offices will not mail/courier passports outside their processing area.

PMM

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
absolutely..

the law is different for different countries. Nepal, for instance does not have a CHC. So, their passports are worked upon in India by mail.

most countries in Africa would not have a dedicated CHC. Even KSA gets processing done from CHC London. It does not mean that they have to physically go to London for stamping.

AlbertaCitizen

Star Member
Apr 11, 2009
akk said:
On my research few months ago, I have read about some people that sent passport out of the country, and it was not just one person, not two people, but much more than that, and not just to Canada, but to London and US as well.

So, unless someone put a link from a reliable canadian immigration website saying that they will not ask people to send passports out of the country, because it is illegal, don't take user's opinion as truth. Just wait to see how the cases will be processed...

Akk
IMO, Purpose of passport mailing is very important. This rule that "Passport shouldn't send outside of country" must be designed for private purposes to stop illegal practices but NOT for well reasoned, justified, written requests made by consulates for immigration purpose. Otherwise why consulates will request? If that will be the case then they request personally come to Manila and pick it up. Isn't it? I can not imagine any situation where CIC Manila or any other immigration authority will ask applicant to do something against the law.