+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailed to Wrong Address - Can Canada Post help?

TorontoGuy44

Jan 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Early July 2012
File Transfer...
Late Sep 2012; In Process: Late Aug 2013
Med's Request
Re-medical request: Early Sep 2013
Med's Done....
May 2012; Re-medical : Sep 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
6 weeks after re-medical; Ppt sent : Mid Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Early Nov, 2013
If the visa office sent a mail to a wrong address, can Canada Post help me get the mail at my correct address?

(Note : The mailing address is a Canadian address)

Here are the details:

Type of application : Spousal Sponsorship, Permanent Residence phase ( i.e the file is with a visa office outside Canada)

I submitted a case specific enquiry about 1.5 weeks ago to update my wife's mailing address. About a week later, the visa office updated the mailing address, but got the street number wrong. (E.g instead of the correct address "123 Some Street, Apt - 789", they updated "223 Some Street, Apt - 789"). The postal code is correct, however. The same day that the visa office updated the address, my wife's application status changed from "Application Received" to "In Process", so there's a strong possibility that they sent a mail to the wrong address, since my wife or I didn't get any email from them.

I have sent another case specific enquiry to them 2 days ago, pointing out the error and mentioning the correct address, but they haven't yet responded or updated to the correct address.

So my question is, can Canada Post help me get the mail at the correct address (or let me pick up the mail from say, a postal outlet)?

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
In process usually just means they are working on your file. It does not necessarily mean you missed a letter from them.

Send another CSE saying you updated your address on X date. The correct address is 123 not 223 and that it was incorrectly updated. Also mention that your e-cas changed to in process during the mishap and you want to ensure nothing was mailed to you to the incorrect address.

If they say something was mailed, then worry about it. But I wouldn't be asking Canada post to trace a letter (which they most likely won't do) that you don't even know exists yet.

Good luck.

so-impatient

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
File Transfer...
7-03-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with file
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DM -23-08-2013
LANDED..........
will land 03-10-2013
IN process usually does not mean that have mailed something - its usually after DM they mail something.

However it is work dropping them an email asking them if they have mailed something out to you as occasionally extra documents etc are required AND ecas is not always in correlation with what is actually happening.

TorontoGuy44

Jan 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Early July 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Early Nov, 2013
MissDominica said:
In process usually just means they are working on your file. It does not necessarily mean you missed a letter from them.

Send another CSE saying you updated your address on X date. The correct address is 123 not 223 and that it was incorrectly updated. Also mention that your e-cas changed to in process during the mishap and you want to ensure nothing was mailed to you to the incorrect address.

If they say something was mailed, then worry about it. But I wouldn't be asking Canada post to trace a letter (which they most likely won't do) that you don't even know exists yet.

Good luck.
This is exactly what I did few days ago. However, I'm still waiting for the VO response (and for them to correct the address). I hope they get back to me soon. I was exploring options in case they have actually mailed something.

Thanks for your suggestion!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
TorontoGuy44 said:
This is exactly what I did few days ago. However, I'm still waiting for the VO response (and for them to correct the address). I hope they get back to me soon. I was exploring options in case they have actually mailed something.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Try calling the Call Centre (assuming you are in Canada). They may not have access to the details of your application, but they can at least access your basic information like what they have for your address (and have them update it if needed).

TorontoGuy44

Jan 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Early July 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Early Nov, 2013
Just wanted to provide an update so that it helps people reading this in the future.

So I sent a case specific enquiry to the VO informing them of the wrong address the day that I saw the mistake.

About a week later, they corrected the address on Ecas, but didn't contact us.

Another 3/4 days later, they emailed us the re-medical request and asked my wife to submit her passport 6 weeks after re-medical.

I still don't know if they actually mailed anything, but since we already got the re-medical request and PPR, it doesn't matter anymore.

Thanks everyone for your response!