+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mail PP to Buffalo or Fort Erie?

gc2canada

May 4, 2011
Hello Forum Members-

I recently received the passport request for my CEC application. I reside in India. My application was being processed at the Buffalo Center until now.

Now, I plan to send my passports by DHL Courier and intend to provide a Canadian address for the passport return and a Canada Post Xpresspost envelope. However, I am confused about where to send the passports due to the wording in the provided instructions on canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/visas/submit_soumettre.aspx?view=d

The instructions state:
Option B: Submit your passports by mail (Courier packages must be sent to the Buffalo, NY address.)

If your address is in the USA, send your passport to:
Canadian Consulate General (RFV)
Immigration Regional Program Centre
1 HSBC Center, Suite 3000
Buffalo, NY 14203-2884
USA

If your address is in Canada, send your passport to:

Canadian Consulate General (RFV)
Immigration Regional Program Centre
P.O. Box 660
Fort Erie, Ontario L2A 6R6
Canada

Should I mail the passports to the Fort Erie address or the Buffalo address?

Thank you for your time and guidance.

ONAP

Star Member
Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2012
Doc's Request.
05-09-2012
AOR Received.
01-06-2012
Med's Request
06-09-2012
Med's Done....
12-09-2012
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2012
LANDED..........
25-10-2012
Hi gc2canada,

did you check with DHL as they suppose not to accept that and check with CEC so that you may have to send your passport new delhi office.

you can not send passports through mail , I mean international (exception to USA from Canada as both these in north america)

I red some where these rules and please double check before you make decision on this

thanks
ONAP

Duke

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
Hi gc2canada

I have crossed across the same situation while sending passport from India to buffalo.

First of all, you have to send your passport to BUFFALO only as fort erie does not accept any commerical courier as it is PO Box only. so DON'T ever send your passport through DHL to fort erie it will not be collected there.

Second DHL generally carries passport overseas if you are sending it directly to emabassy.

Hope this makes you clear.
Regards,
Duke.

gc2canada

May 4, 2011
Thank you for your response, Duke.

Did you give any authorization letter to DHL for them to be able to courier the passports? Also, did the CIC return the passports at a U.S./Canada address or back to you in India?

Duke

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
Yes. you have to give authorisation letter to DHL plus letter passport request letter from embassy.

They don;t return pp to indian address. so you have to provide address in canada only.

Hope this helps.

gc2canada

May 4, 2011
Duke-
Which DHL location/city did you send the passports from? DHL / New Delhi says that they require a letter from Ministry of External Affairs to carry the passport outside India. :(

Duke

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
We didn;t sent it but we inquired it and was about to sent with DHL in Ahmedabad but at last moment I got a reference who was going to Canada . so we cancelled to send it with DHL.

Believe me , with passport request letter , it should be ok as long as you are sending it to buffalo embassy directly.

One more thing, check whether buffalo still accepts the passport for stamping or you need to send it ottawa. Check this before sending.

gc2canada

May 4, 2011
Thanks for the response Duke. I guess I will have to figure out another way since DHL is not taking passports without the letter from Ministry of External Affairs.

The passport instruction page in the PPR email request states that the passport should be sent to either Fort Erie or Buffalo only.

Duke

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
I think so . but as you know buffalo closes its immigration activities so just thinking.

Regards.
Duke.