+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mail or Pick-up PR cards - please share your experiences

karenps

Jul 30, 2012
Hello all,
We just received word that my parents' renewal application was accepted and that they will receive their cards within 4 weeks. However, the message online said they will be invited to pick up their cards but I thought the cards were being mailed. What has your experience been? Did you receive your renewed cards by mail or di dyou have to pick them up? Please advise.

I know that since April 30, 2012, CIC is running a pilot project to mail out cards. I am just wondering what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
Karen

wilbur71

Dec 9, 2012
Dear Karen:

That's great news for your parents and for you as well, I'm sure. A nice way to start 2013.

You are correct: back in 2012, in most cases (I think the figure is something like 90%), the renewed PR Card is sent directly to the applicant's mailing address. In the remaining cases (selected either randomly as part of a quality control or maybe not so randomly), they ask the applicant to present himself/herself at the local CIC office for document verification. (Senior members please correct me if I am wrong). But the automatic note in eCAS on the CIC website has not been updated to reflect the new system -- applicants whose cards are mailed directly to them still receive the note stating that they will be "invited to pick up their cards" in approximately 4 weeks time.

In any case, I'm truly glad that it all worked out. I've read your previous posts, and your parents still had above the minimum number of required days.

karenps

Jul 30, 2012
Thanks so much for your response. I realize that no one is obligated to respond on this forum, and I truly appreciate all the responses I get. And yes, it is a big relief for us. My parents depend on us for everything - financially and otherwise, and we were very nervous about how all this would work out. For all that they have done for us, caring for them in their old age now is the least we can do. With this whole PR card renewal process, I was besides myself with anxiety. I am really glad it worked out :). But I do a lot of traveling for work and I am really hoping the cards arrive in the mail. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks again so very much for your encouraging words. Happy new year!

Karen

wilbur71

Dec 9, 2012
If they do mail the cards directly to you, it will take approximately one week to ten days. And sometimes there are unexpected delays. In my mother's case, she had already received the notice that her renewed card had been approved, and yet she was waiting... and waiting... and waiting... finally she called the CIC and the agent informed her that her card had gotten stuck at the printer's. It took almost two months to arrive after the approval had gone through. But in the end, my mother received her card, so all's well that ends well.

Please keep us posted, Karen.

karenps

Jul 30, 2012
I absolutely will keep you posted! Thank you :). And I am so happy your mother received her card. It's daunting to think about all the things that could possibly go wrong.

Karen

karenps

Jul 30, 2012
Sorry, Wilbur. One more question. When did your mother receive her renewed card in the mail? Was it recently?

Thanks.
Karen

wilbur71

Dec 9, 2012
Hi Karen,

My mother's card was approved right after Labour Day (I believe around Sept. 5 or so). She did not receive it until the very beginning of November.