+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Made a blunder. Not sure what to do?! Please help.

nerdgeekgamer

Sep 11, 2018
Hello guys,

I am sort of in a mess here. Looking for advice. Its been 2 years since I got my PR(Canadian Experience Class)
I am now preparing to apply for Citizenship. I know I have atleast 6 months to go for Citizienship eligibility but I am starting to slowly prepare now

While going through my documents, I notice that my old passport(which also falls under the eligibility period) has a stamp on one of the last pages of the passport. It has something to do with the passport being received to a UK embassy for a visa. It then occurred to me that this was for a 'Business' visa that my company applied for when I was travelling for Business almost 3 years ago. It was for a training/certification trip. This took place in the country that I was in for Business. The stamp has a number and 'UK' on it. Nothing about whether the visa application was refused or anything. I did not end up going to UK as the company decided to hire an already certified technician from the vendor directly for cost reasons. I did receive a letter stating something about not being granted the visa or need to provide more documents or something. I do not have the letter anymore( I fantically searched for it but I think it was left during the business trip). It didnt matter to me as this was a Business trip and the company decided it was no longer required so I just continued working on the project. This all took place in that country that I was on a Business Trip for.

Now it didnt occur to me to mention this during my PR application for the section that mentions about visa refusal from another country etc as I didnt think I had a visa refusal. I still dont remember exactly what that letter said. It was a long and hectic project, stressful times. I applied for PR using my new passport as the old one expired. I got my PR and during the application process, there was no additional enquiries etc.

Now as I will be applying for Citizenship, I fear that this may come up during the interview when I have to present all my passports that has to do with the eligibility period as I have to explain my business trips and other trips which I have entry/exit stamps etc. I know the citizenship application does not ask about visa refusals etc. But during the interview, if I was to be asked this- what should I say? I forgot? Will this be take as misrepresentation or something? Although this was a geinune mistake as I was naive or careless I suppose.

Whats your advice for me? I am starting to have one of those sleepless nights because of this. Please help.

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Usually Visa rejection are not an issue but entry denials are. Moreover during interview they ask for issues related with Canadian immigration or Visa.

nerdgeekgamer

Sep 11, 2018
Usually Visa rejection are not an issue but entry denials are. Moreover during interview they ask for issues related with Canadian immigration or Visa.
Thank you for your response. Never got denied entry to any country. Most of my trips were Business ones(to only 1 country < 183 days ) for which I believe I can proof with adequate documents. One personal trip to visit my parents after 7 years (If I had known travel complicates Citizenship process, I would have waited) Of course, cant say no to business trips unless I am willing to go job hunting.

Still waiting for more advice/suggestions etc.

ontheborder

Aug 31, 2018
Hello guys,

...... I did receive a letter stating something about not being granted the visa or need to provide more documents or something.....

Whats your advice for me? I am starting to have one of those sleepless nights because of this. Please help.....
I will give you following practical tips:
  • Don't lose sleep!
  • Forget about the letter and your PR application, one is gone, the other cannot be altered
  • Most important tip: During interview they examine all your passports, be prepared to answer a question or two on the UK stamp!
The citizenship applications are rejected rarely, varies from 1% to 4%; Mostly for not meeting Residency requirements, failing citizenship test, criminal records, willful misrepresentation, etc. So relax...

nerdgeekgamer

Sep 11, 2018
I guess I will have to wait till I meet the residency requirements(hopefully in 6 months) and then apply. I guess I will use this time to start collecting as much as documents as possible etc.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems you have not submitted application yet.

If there's anything you want to explain or clarify then just add a cover letter addressed to the officer and submit it along with your application.

I don't think having entry denied to another country is a big deal.

Be truthful in your application.

nerdgeekgamer

Sep 11, 2018
It seems you have not submitted application yet.

If there's anything you want to explain or clarify then just add a cover letter addressed to the officer and submit it along with your application.

I don't think having entry denied to another country is a big deal.

Be truthful in your application.
Are you suggesting I attach a letter of explanation during my citizenship application to explain that I missed a stamp in my PR application?
Dont you think that would open a can of worms especially when I will only be sending biological pages of the Passport.

Of course, during the interview, I maybe asked about the stamp for which I can explain truthfully in person

Just curious as to why you think a Letter Of Explanation would help?:)

Thanks for your suggestion.