+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

M.Engg in Canada

Apr 9, 2013
Is there any chances of doing M.Engg in computer science from average unversity in CANADA ...
My profile is
1)85% tenth
2)71% 12th
3)55% graduation(4 backlogs #cleared)
4)Final Year B.E (Computer science) student.
IELTS 8 bands

My interest is NETWORKING field .
a)I am CCNA Certified.
b)Stood all india 3rd in CISCO NETRIDERS CONTEST 2011.
I Don't want to go in programming side and my basic motive is to land into good job after doing the course ...
so please suggest whether i will be eligible for M.Engg or not and if eligible then which is best course and university for me ...and if i am not eligible for M.Engg then should i go for PG DIPLOMA and from which college should i do PG DIPLOMA ? and please suggest whatever else you want to suggest .
Thanks

tiger007

Champion Member
Rupinder_SIngh said:
Is there any chances of doing M.Engg in computer science from average unversity in CANADA ...
My profile is
1)85% tenth
2)71% 12th
3)55% graduation(4 backlogs #cleared)
4)Final Year B.E (Computer science) student.
IELTS 8 bands

My interest is NETWORKING field .
a)I am CCNA Certified.
b)Stood all india 3rd in CISCO NETRIDERS CONTEST 2011.
I Don't want to go in programming side and my basic motive is to land into good job after doing the course ...
so please suggest whether i will be eligible for M.Engg or not and if eligible then which is best course and university for me ...and if i am not eligible for M.Engg then should i go for PG DIPLOMA and from which college should i do PG DIPLOMA ? and please suggest whatever else you want to suggest .
Thanks

Hi,

Most Canadian universities need B grade or minimum 60% in final 2 years of B.tech degree for students from India and an IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with no bands less than 6)(some may require IELTS score of overall 7) for applying to engineering Master degrees. Some, universities like the university of Manitoba, Memorial university consider min. 55% in final 2 years as equivalent to B grade.
Example: (Univ. of Manitoba international equivalency chart)- http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/facultyinfo/assess/view.php?cid=20

So, you MAY get admission. You will need to contact other universities and ask about your eligibility to apply. However, meeting just the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. You should try your best to score as high as possible in the final year and try to make the final 2 years marks as equivalent to average of 60%. this way, your chances to get admissions will be greater.

You can pursue a course based 1-1.5 years length M. Eng master degree OR research oriented, thesis based 2 years long MaSc./Msc. degree. The research based degrees are usually much more competitive, where one generally needs to show some knack for research (like published papers) and selected students usually get partial or full funding.

You can see general rankings of Canadian universities to get an overall idea.. as to which universities are reputed.
For example: http://www.university-list.net/canada/rank/univ-7007.htm
www.4icu.org/ca/

You can consider applying to M.Eng (CS) programs of mid level universities.

You need to go through the university department websites, contact the university departments to know more such as course content, graduate degree options, deadlines, tuition fees, admission procedure etc. You will have to do the hard work to find the type of programs and select a list of say atleast 4-6 universities, you may consider applying to.

Here's the list of ALL recognized Canadian educational institutes eligible for OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

The application submission date for Fall 2013 (Sept) start in most universities is already long over, and you should consider applying for 2014 Fall intake.

Best of Luck.

*** All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.