+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low GPA...admission for masters

faqrkaafi

Aug 10, 2020
Hello,
I hope you're doing well. My name is Tushar and I live in India. I saw your replies in a forum regarding admissions in Canadian universities and thought maybe you could help me. I wanted to pursue for either masters in pharmacy or PharmD from Canada but when I saw the eligibility criteria which requires 3.0 GPA, I lost hope. I've scored 55% in my UG course, i.e. Bachelors in Pharmacy. I have even selected a time slot for IELTS which is on 7' September 2020. Do you think I'll get admitted in any Canadian university for my higher studies with such scores even if i somehow manage to meet the requirements with good IELTS score?
An early response from your end will be appreciated.

Thank You!
Hey, I think you should try for University of Manitoba.
Mail them and ask.
Goodluck!

ayush1996

Aug 27, 2020
BE Mechanical Engineering
I have applied in university of regina and according to WES evaluation report my gpa is 3.11.
CGPA ( BE) : 7.02 or 70.2% (1st division)
12th: 71% (CBSE)
IELTS: 6.5(no band less that 6)
2 years work ex
3 internships
1 research paper
German Goethe A1 certificate
Can someone suggest me the universities in which i can apply for masters in mechanical engineering for fall 2021.
Please tell the universities according to my profile, i will shortlist them according to the field.

Last edited:

Urvis12

Oct 5, 2020
I have done BTech in chemical engineering with cgpa of 7.2/10 from Nirma University
10th - 85%
12th - 81%

IELTS score 7 with none below 6

I wanted to do MEng in chemical engineering course from university

Can I get admission in university? Which one ?

Or should I get work experience first to improve my profile ?

With 2 years of experience can I get admission ?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I have done BTech in chemical engineering with cgpa of 7.2/10 from Nirma University
10th - 85%
12th - 81%

IELTS score 7 with none below 6

I wanted to do MEng in chemical engineering course from university

Can I get admission in university? Which one ?

Or should I get work experience first to improve my profile ?

With 2 years of experience can I get admission ?
Experience not required for Master's in Canada. You have decent profile, I think you can get into some universities with 7.2. Check my signature link and aim for Tier 3/4 universities in Engineering

anjali.b

Oct 27, 2020
Hello,

I have done B.Tech in electrical and electronics engineering with 64.7%(First class).
10th - 9.3 CGPA
12th - 84.8%
I want to do MASc in electrical engineering
I have 14 months experience as hardware engineer in R&D sector.
IELTS Score- 6.5 over all

Please suggest me some universities for my profile and also can I know present job scenario in electrical/electronics field after masters.

Thanks in advance.

Lizzbeth

May 26, 2020
Hello,

Please help me evaluate.
I have a gpa of 3.1, I have a proof of English language proficiency but it is not an exam score. I applied to university of alberta last year and I got rejected. Yes I found a supervisor before applying. Why do you think they rejected me and what other option do you suggest I opt for?

v.8903

Feb 15, 2021
Hello,

I have done B.E in Information and Technology engineering with 57%(Overall) and 60% (Last 2 years).
10th - 72.42%
Diploma - 69.36% (Last year)
I want to do MSc in Computer Science/Data Science
I have 10 years of experience in same field (with more than 5 years in a firm recognized globally)
IELTS Score- 7.0 over all

I visited couple of Overseas education consultant and they said that the chances are very negligible. There would also be Visa related issues with profile due to long gap in study.
What are my chances of admission?

So far I have found the following Universities that offer conditional Intake when the academics are not strong.
These universities will ask you to score a certain grade with their conditional offer; failing to which your admission stands cancelled. Which I think is a big risk.

Simon Fraser University
Carleton University
Carleton
University of Northern British Columbia
Winnipeg
Brock University
University of Regina
Concordia
Thompson River

Are there any better universities who would offer direct admission?

Thanks in advance.

v.8903

Feb 15, 2021
Hello,

Please help me evaluate.
I have a gpa of 3.1, I have a proof of English language proficiency but it is not an exam score. I applied to university of alberta last year and I got rejected. Yes I found a supervisor before applying. Why do you think they rejected me and what other option do you suggest I opt for?
Finding a supervisor doesnt mean that you will get an admission. It is upon the supervisor whether he liked your profile or not, how strong your profile was, and whether he would like to pursue your case or not. You can reach out to couple of supervisor and discuss about your case and areas of interest.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

I have done B.E in Information and Technology engineering with 57%(Overall) and 60% (Last 2 years).
10th - 72.42%
Diploma - 69.36% (Last year)
I want to do MSc in Computer Science/Data Science
I have 10 years of experience in same field (with more than 5 years in a firm recognized globally)
IELTS Score- 7.0 over all

I visited couple of Overseas education consultant and they said that the chances are very negligible. There would also be Visa related issues with profile due to long gap in study.
What are my chances of admission?

So far I have found the following Universities that offer conditional Intake when the academics are not strong.
These universities will ask you to score a certain grade with their conditional offer; failing to which your admission stands cancelled. Which I think is a big risk.

Simon Fraser University
Carleton University
Carleton
University of Northern British Columbia
Winnipeg
Brock University
University of Regina
Concordia
Thompson River

Are there any better universities who would offer direct admission?

Thanks in advance.
Your GPA is rather low for a Master's program. For Indian applicants, I always suggest 70%+. For Computer Science fields, it's even more competitive. I would look at the ones you listed as well as Concordia, Memorial University. Concordia seems to be taking a lot of students right now due to financial issues and is a great institution. Maybe apply for a non-research one as well.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

Please help me evaluate.
GPA is not the highest. Maybe take GRE to improve your chances or apply to lower ranked universities. UofA is one of the hardest to get in.

v.8903

Feb 15, 2021
Your GPA is rather low for a Master's program. For Indian applicants, I always suggest 70%+. For Computer Science fields, it's even more competitive. I would look at the ones you listed as well as Concordia, Memorial University. Concordia seems to be taking a lot of students right now due to financial issues and is a great institution. Maybe apply for a non-research one as well.
yea. I dont intend to go for thesis or research based instead would opt for course based only

edu666

Mar 1, 2021
Hi guys, I am from I.T background. I had backlogs in first and second year. To be precise:

Sem1 - 6.09/10 (Mechanics - 4 attempt) | (Mathematics-1 - 1 attempt)
Sem 2 - 6.30/10 (Mathematics-2 - 1 attempt + 1 absenteeism)
Sem3 - 5.96/10 (Mathematics-3 - 1 attempt) | (Logic Design - 3 attempt + 2 absenteeism) | (Data Structure - 1 attempt)
Sem 4 - 5.24/10 (Mathematics-4 - 1 attempt) | (Operating System - 1 attempt) | (Automata Theory - 2 attempts + 1 absenteeism)
Sem 5 - 6.08/10
Sem 6 - 8.77/10
Sem 7 - 8.5/10
Sem 8 - 9/10
Overall - 7/10
IELTS : 7Band (7S, 8L, 8R, 6.5W)
1 year of work experience in I.T field

How is backlog counted?, Is it subject or attempt? Is absenteeism counted as a backlog? To be honest, with great ambition and passion I joined this program. In first year I came to know that I am weak in mathematics and struggled a lot. My concern is, is it possible for me to get an admission into university with this backlog and a year gap? I have seen some university asking for GPA of last two years of undergraduate. I have no hope left because consultant says, with this backlog you won't get an admission. Also they suggested me for NZ but I more interested in Canada. Please help me.

Last edited:

raovikrant92

Apr 12, 2021
Hello Everyone!
I have graduated from NIT Bhopal (Chemical Engineering) in 2015, since then I am working in BPCL Refinery as an Assistant Manager in various Process Units. I want to pursue Masters in Chemical Engineering in Canada from a descent University. The only constraint is my CGPA which is 6.46. I have a work experience of more than 5.5 years, would it compensate for my low grades to get an admit in a fine university in Canada? Kindly guide me through this.
MY scores are as below:
10th- 85%
12th- 80.5 %
B.Tech- CGPA 6.46
TOEFL IBT- 97 Reading-20, Listening- 26, Speaking- 28 Writing- 23
Work Experience- 5.5 Years in Oil & Gas Sector, Refining, Process Engineer.

Sanman000

May 26, 2021
Hi Everyone,
Please help me to shortlist universities based on my profile(Masters in Canada)
Required: Masters in Computer Science
Educational Qualifications:
10th: 95%
12th: 86%
CGPA: 7.2/10 (Bachelors in Computer Science)
IELTS-7.0 overall (with no less than 6)
Work Experience -1
Projects-6
Internships-2
Publications-2
Suggest me some universities where I can get admit for sure?
I am trying for Masters in Computer Science (Course-based)

I have tried for the past 2 intakes I am getting rejected, so please kindly help me in shortlisting the perfect one based on my profile

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,
Please help me to shortlist universities based on my profile(Masters in Canada)
Required: Masters in Computer Science
Educational Qualifications:
10th: 95%
12th: 86%
CGPA: 7.2/10 (Bachelors in Computer Science)
IELTS-7.0 overall (with no less than 6)
Work Experience -1
Projects-6
Internships-2
Publications-2
Suggest me some universities where I can get admit for sure?
I am trying for Masters in Computer Science (Course-based)

I have tried for the past 2 intakes I am getting rejected, so please kindly help me in shortlisting the perfect one based on my profile
Would suggest doing your research and narrow it down to multiple schools and people will provide feedback. Acceptance always depends on how many other international students apply and their GPAs. Would eliminate to masters programs like U of Toronto, Waterloo, UBC, McGill and a few more.