+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low GPA admissibility query.

nickscindia

Apr 8, 2021
Hello, I am from India. I did my B.Tech in Industrial Engineering from NIT Jalandhar.
I wish to pursue Master's in Canada. but I have low GPA. Percentage wise, its around 54-55% with many backlogs.
I am looking forward to apply for Master's in Engineering at University of Ottawa. Although I checked admission equivalencies under admission requirements, and for India, the minimum grade required is 50% if passing grade is 40%; 60% if passing grade is 50%. For my B.tech at NIT-Jalandhar, passing grade was 40%. Will I be able to get admission into Univ. of Ottawa for Master of Engineering in Engineering management Program?
Also, I have band 8 in IELTS, and 320 in GRE. Will these scores help me in anyway to get into Univ. of Ottawa for above mentioned program?

Also, if I should apply for any other University across Canada, based on my GRE and IELTS scores and field of my study, please suggest.

Please help. Thank You.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I am from India. I did my B.Tech in Industrial Engineering from NIT Jalandhar.
I wish to pursue Master's in Canada. but I have low GPA. Percentage wise, its around 54-55% with many backlogs.
I am looking forward to apply for Master's in Engineering at University of Ottawa. Although I checked admission equivalencies under admission requirements, and for India, the minimum grade required is 50% if passing grade is 40%; 60% if passing grade is 50%. For my B.tech at NIT-Jalandhar, passing grade was 40%. Will I be able to get admission into Univ. of Ottawa for Master of Engineering in Engineering management Program?
Also, I have band 8 in IELTS, and 320 in GRE. Will these scores help me in anyway to get into Univ. of Ottawa for above mentioned program?

Also, if I should apply for any other University across Canada, based on my GRE and IELTS scores and field of my study, please suggest.

Please help. Thank You.
It is unlikely you'd get into any university but especially a decent school like U of O. Even if you do get into a school you may get your study permit denied because there will be fears that you won't be able to complete the program.

nickscindia

Apr 8, 2021
It is unlikely you'd get into any university but especially a decent school like U of O. Even if you do get into a school you may get your study permit denied because there will be fears that you won't be able to complete the program.
How about if I apply for Post Graduation Diploma programs.? Will i be able to get accepted in any university/college, considering my credentials.?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How about if I apply for Post Graduation Diploma programs.? Will i be able to get accepted in any university/college, considering my credentials.?
You may be accepted to a program but there may still be concerns about your previous academic performance. All you can do is apply to a masters or post grad program that makes sense given your current education and work experience and will lead to career progression and see what happens.

nickscindia

Apr 8, 2021
You may be accepted to a program but there may still be concerns about your previous academic performance. All you can do is apply to a masters or post grad program that makes sense given your current education and work experience and will lead to career progression and see what happens.
Thank you for your response.
I am actually a Fresh Graduate, so I do not have any further qualifications or work experience.
I also want to ask that, while applying, Can I show my medical history as a reason for low academic performance. Will it be considered by universities; and will it help in accepting.?
And will my GRE score help in any way to boost my application.? As I mentioned earlier, I have 320/340 in GRE.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I am actually a Fresh Graduate, so I do not have any further qualifications or work experience.
I also want to ask that, while applying, Can I show my medical history as a reason for low academic performance. Will it be considered by universities; and will it help in accepting.?
And will my GRE score help in any way to boost my application.? As I mentioned earlier, I have 320/340 in GRE.
Yes GRE will help. You should evaluate your degree using WES to see what your grades will come out in terms of a Canadian GPA. It might help the VO (and admissions) see more comparable results to domestic applicants

nickscindia

Apr 8, 2021
Yes GRE will help. You should evaluate your degree using WES to see what your grades will come out in terms of a Canadian GPA. It might help the VO (and admissions) see more comparable results to domestic applicants
Thank you for your assistance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there a certain time period that lowers your GPA? If so a medical reason with proof could help. The last 2 years are particularly important to graduate programs.