+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lots of POR Card Questions!

qwerty1234

Dec 3, 2008
I would really appreciate it if someone could provide some information for me.
This is the situation:
1. My husband, myself and children landed April 2004.
2. We came under Entrepreneur and our application was submitted and under the rules just before they changed them on Jan 1, 2003.
3. We lived in Canada and had several business' etc until April 2008 when we moved back to the states for employment.
4. Just before we left, we applied for citizenship because we qualified by the amount of time living in Canada.
5. We did not quite meet the requirements for Entrepreneur although we are very close.
6. Our PR card expires in May 2009.
7. We have left all our assets in Canada and plan to return when the logging, cattle etc situation is better in the north.
This is the question:
1. Do we need to get new PR Cards?
2. The instructions say that you have to "be physically present in Canada" to be eligible for a PR Card. Does that mean to pick up your new one, or even to just apply for one? (We still do have a Canadian home and address and are going back into Canada every 3 to 6 months for short trips). How do you apply for one when you aren't living in Canada. Can you mail it from Canada - would that work?
Note: Even if we do get Citizenship, it wouldn't happen before our cards expire.
3. When a request for renewal of a PR Card is received, do they check to see if you have met your requirements other than days lived in Canada? We have never heard from Immigration Canada since we landed. We came in under Entrepreneur before the rule change on Jan 1, 2003. On our Confirmation of Permanent Residence form IMM 5292 - Number 43 - Conditions it has a 00. Does that mean we don't have any specific conditions to meet.

What should we do? We really want to keep our ability to return permanently to Canada.
Thank you for any advice and information!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know about entrepreneur conditions but for the PR card, you are not supposed to apply for it unless you are living in Canada but if you are in a different country and it expires, you can apply for a PR travel document to be let back in, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq11.asp so you can do that when you are ready to go back. If you have an address in Canada you could try applying for it next time you are here as long as you have somebody picking up your mail to let you know about your appointment to pick it up. It takes around 3 months to get one and if you apply before your old card expires, say if you get your new card in March or April, you use your old PR card to get back into Canada and pick up your new card.