+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lost work permit - please help!

bambie92

Aug 25, 2012
I have been in Canada for 3 weeks now and spent the first 2 finding my feet, having an explore and sorting my housing. I also got my Social Insurance Number and card during this time.
Anyway, long story short, I can't find my work permit anywhere. I'm so sure I put it in a drawer with my passport and other documents but I have literally looked everywhere and have come to the conclusion that I must have thrown it out. It's very unlike me to lose anything so I am so frustrated with myself.
I have sent off all the papers to get a copy of the permit but have just seen on the CIC website that it will take 4 months for it to come through. My question is, will I be able to get a job using just my Social Insurance Number and stamped passport, or do I need to show employers my work permit? If so, it'll be a very disappointing journey back to England because I simply can't afford to not work for 4 months while I wait for this permit.
Thanks in advance for any help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bambie92 said:
I have been in Canada for 3 weeks now and spent the first 2 finding my feet, having an explore and sorting my housing. I also got my Social Insurance Number and card during this time.
Anyway, long story short, I can't find my work permit anywhere. I'm so sure I put it in a drawer with my passport and other documents but I have literally looked everywhere and have come to the conclusion that I must have thrown it out. It's very unlike me to lose anything so I am so frustrated with myself.
I have sent off all the papers to get a copy of the permit but have just seen on the CIC website that it will take 4 months for it to come through. My question is, will I be able to get a job using just my Social Insurance Number and stamped passport, or do I need to show employers my work permit? If so, it'll be a very disappointing journey back to England because I simply can't afford to not work for 4 months while I wait for this permit.
Thanks in advance for any help.
1. If you apply for a job and the employers see the 900 SIN they are supposed to ask to see the work permit.
2. You could go to the nearest Border Crossing and beg beg the CBSA officer to see if they will print off another copy of the work permit for you. They may take pity.

bambie92

Aug 25, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I will go and try the begging thing now. I'm only 20 so hopefully someone will take pity on me! It seems ridiculous that it takes 4 months for them to print another one, but then again it was stupid of me to lose it in the first place.
Would the nearest Border Crossing be the airport?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bambie92 said:
Would the nearest Border Crossing be the airport?
No - you need to go to a land border.

bambie92

Aug 25, 2012
Okay!
I'm in Vancouver so Seattle would definitely be the best option for me there.
I'm probably being really stupid, but what exactly would I do? Will they definitely let me back in?
Thanks again!

Reactions: Jep

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You've only lost a document not your status(lol) and they should be able to see from the database that you were issued a work permit. I don't see why they would deny you entry. You would just have to beg the border agent and also take with you proof that you have requested a print out but that it takes 4 months. In the future, you should make copies of such documents and keep the originals somewhere safe.

bambie92

Aug 25, 2012
Thank you all so much for your help. I am usually (almost obsessively) careful with documents and things, but I've just been a bit flustered since arriving and as it's only a piece of paper I think I must have thrown it out. Still very silly of me.
I will head down to Seattle on Monday and beg the custom's officer there so finger's crossed that I end up with a compassionate one! I will report back with how things go as it may be useful to any future permit-losers :)

bambie92

Aug 25, 2012
Hello! ;D
It worked! I took all the documents I needed for my first work permit - passport, proof of insurance, letter of acceptance etc, and explained my situation. It cost $30 (the same as it would have cost to get a copy that would have taken 4 months to arrive) and they didn't question it at all, just printed me off a new one.
Thank you to everyone for the help and hopefully it will save any slightly ditsy workers a bit of stress in the future!

Mar 20, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I am a Indian citizen here in Canada. I was on student permit and on 21st of January 2015 my work permit was approved but I do not have the actual document with me now - lost it.

As it is clear that this going to border thing works for getting the work-permit back. I wanted to know that do I need to cross the border to do so because my Canadian Visa has been expired and I do not have a US visa.

Or to be clear actually my question is can I enter the immigration section at the Canada US border without having Canadian or US visa just to get the work permit replaced.

Please help I am in a rush.

AmandaHarro

Mar 26, 2015
Hi there. I'm in the same position right now. So they gave you a copy of your work permit on the spot? WEre you able to fly with this permit? Or did you still have to get a replacement one? I'm so stressed!

Mordor

Aug 21, 2015
Hi there...I arrived in Canada on a spouse open work permit in July 2016 and within a month of my arrival someone stole my passport and work permit. Through the Indian Consulate in Toronto I have received a new passport and have also applied to CIC for a replacement of my work permit. Its been 4 months and I still have not received my work permit as its in Que for processing by them. I don't have a US visa and nor do I have the Canadian visa stamp on my new passport.

Can anyone guide if I can approach the Airport authorities to obtain a duplicate copy of my work permit.

Thanks

Mr Anderson

Mar 15, 2017
Hi,

Is it possible to do this at the immigration agency at the airport? It's going to be a big drive if I have to go all the way to the border :(

Mordor

Aug 21, 2015
I went to the airport authorities however they cannot issue a duplicate copy of the work permit. It has to be issued by CIC again since that is the procedure. I recently received the duplicate copy of my work permit from CIC after a wait of 4 months.

Hope this helps you.

All the best!

JaiswalNK

Jan 9, 2018
Hi ,
I have lost my work-permit, however I have scan copy of same .I have all other supporting documents , Passport, Visa stamped on passport etc. currently I am outside Canada , can I enter into Canada / Toronto precisely with Photo Copy of WorkPermit . Request urgent advise/suggestion on this matter.

Jhongpogs

Mar 2, 2018
Hello my work permit was lost..and I already sent the passport request for my permanent residence...can I take the xerox only of my work permit when I will have to cross the border for my permanent residence confirmation??