+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Study Permit

phillyphil

Jun 26, 2012
I lost my study permit. I never lost a single immigration document before: The thing is I am beginning school next week (summer class). But unfortunately I am in the United States visiting family (been here for only 2 months). This study permit expires in 2015.(Just so you Know).
Things I have done and Tried:

1.) I called immigration canada and they told me all I need to return is my study permit, because I am only in the United States travelling back to Canada. Referring me to here on cic.gc.ca (the single entry visa section) cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/index.asp#trv which says:

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer or
have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

2.) I also called Canada border services and they even redirected me to an officer at the border who said that (1) is true. But because I lost my study permit and it's processing time is just not realistic for me to wait for it (I actually applied for a replacement already) the officer told me to get a letter from my University stating that I am a student of the University and then they will decide on what to do.

3) Of more recently the call centre told me the border services have the exact same records they have about my study permit.

Because of (2) I booked my flight to return for school. I have the letter they instructed me to get from my University with tuition paid. But I am a little worried cause I don't have my study permit. It doesn't just make sense to go to the border without it. I was told by this officer to simply explain my situation when I get there (Seattle airport/Vancouver).

Finally has anyone gone through this before, cause I am quite confused and unsure. I have everything else that has been issued to me (passport, old study permits etc)

Thank you and sorry for the long read.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Get the letter of confirmation from the university. Ask them kindly to also email you a scanned copy of your study permit (because your departmental office must have one as they did request from you I hope). Naturally, you should know your UCI (or client number, 1234-1234), printed on your immigration visa (counterfoil attached on your passport, if at all) as well as on your study permit. Then, you should be fine with the border agents.

Here's my story: Before becoming a PR in April, I had to travel back to my home country to get a new passport since the other one was invalidated. The new passport had a different number than the old passport, which was printed on the visa and study permit. I asked the Canadian embassy in my home country to re-issue my study permit to expose my new UCI number, but they said you just need to ask the border agents at the point of entry. As far as the border agents were concerned, they just needed to see that my study permit was valid regardless of the passport number, even though I didn't show my study permit, just mentioned I possessed it.

In your case, you'll have to ask them to print a new one (or inform them that you've applied for a new one), and they'll advise. Be prepared to have a fee ready in case they print it on the spot... Good luck! Note that the worst case is they return you to the US and ask you to come back with a study permit, so no worries :).

Vipul.Varinder

Jun 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it happened to one ma frend .. whn he visited to NY for new year... he lost his passport.. and every other thing, study permit work permit etc...
Then he contacted college... college sent him a letter of cofirmation and a printed copy of fees paid.
then he get a printed copy of his passport and his study permit , and american visa from his email...
het get the bus, and asked for the passport.. bt he has nothing, border agency of canada asked for visa, he showed them everything he has, they checked their database, and he was there, with d same picture..
but please try to stay calm and show genuinety,,,,
border agent are human beings,, they understand ur problems if u let them understand u,,,
good luck

Reactions: jyirenkyi

phillyphil

Jun 26, 2012
Thank you all for the responses. I am still trying to contact my University to find out if they even have a copy of current study permit, which I highly doubt but would be surprised if they did. I will let you guys know how it goes. Once again...........

Thank you, your replies have been really valuable. Thanks :D

phillyphil

Jun 26, 2012
Yes Everything went ok. When I got to the border I explained myself and showed them all the documents I had and they simply printed another study permit for me at the border entry

yoyo.dudu

Jun 27, 2016
Hey man , i am just concerning ...was the study permit they printed to u is exactly as the one u lost?, or they changed the number or anything ... did not they ask u for police report ???

I am just wondering if someone lost his passport and reported it lost, should he also get a new study permit although he did not lose it ??

Nalyne

Jul 23, 2017
Hi.I had the same situation. I lost my work permit 2 days ago. I went to immigration expert they said i can go return canada. I still have a photocopy of it. Will send tom my replacement of new work permit. I still have a valid trv which will expire on March 2018.

Immigration expert told me they will make a affi of lost of my photocpy work permit and upon arriving if will show that to border.

My question is am i safe I’m so worried. Will bring my documents and proof that i send my application to CIC already and I paid 30$ to it.Is there a chance that they will just print on the spot entering the border.by the way will just have a vaction to Jamaica for just 4 days.

TIA.Please need an answer:(