+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lost passport before landing. what should i do?

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
We received passport requests. We sent our passports to Ottawa. The return tracker was activated and it said the passports were delivered to my house 2 weeks ago. But i didn't receive anything. We checked with canada post and they said our passports are lost.

so we lost our passport, visa stamps and COPR. Do you know what should i do? Will CIC reissue visa stamps for our PR?

It's so unlucky at the last step after a long wait.

Sundip

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
Doc's Request.
01-31-2015
Nomination.....
13-12-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2014
Med's Request
20-05-2014
Med's Done....
02-06-2014
Interview........
Skipped
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
karenv said:
We received passport requests. We sent our passports to Ottawa. The return tracker was activated and it said the passports were delivered to my house 2 weeks ago. But i didn't receive anything. We checked with canada post and they said our passports are lost.

so we lost our passport, visa stamps and COPR. Do you know what should i do? Will CIC reissue visa stamps for our PR?

This is like the worst thing that can happen since immigrant visa has already been issued on your passport. Otherwise, it would have been possible to just let CIC know and they could stamp on the new passport that you receive. Call CIC and let them know of the situation. Hopefully they would be OK letting you enough time to apply for a new passport and issue a visa. Usually losing passport also requires you to report to the police and get a certificate before a new one can be issued. I would recommend starting by giving CIC a call and then contact your consulate for a new passport.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
Need Canadian Pr said:
How it is possible
If you use express post it very hard to lost

You should tell more details
yes, we used express post. We reported to the canada post office, talking to the staff at local post office and filed a complain already. We went to every neighbor houses on the street but no news. Will CiC cancel our PR because of this?

glmmoula

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
listen, do not ask so many questions on this forum and get yourself in confusions.
buy air ticket and fly Ottawa CIC office where you sent your passport.
get your police reports as well as Canada post consent that the mail was lost.

at Ottawa office see a manager and explain everything, and they you give you the answer right way?

hope it's help.

dileep kumar

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karenv said:

Loosing a passport is not a crime, you are fine. Its unfortunate. don't be worried. its jst gonna delay ur landing by few more days, thats it!, nothing more than that. Inform to CIC through email because if you call and inform, there will be no solid proof for you in future. So send an Email. Talk to higher authorities in Canada post first, then file a complain with rcmp stating that you lost the passport with the mistake of the Canada post. If you drag RCMP in to the loop then definitely Canada Post will take necessary actions and will trace the package for sure. If not in least case apply for new passports and send it to Ottawa along with the complaint receipt you filed with rcmp and a cover letter explaining in detail.

bethanasame

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
glmmoula said:
listen, do not ask so many questions on this forum and get yourself in confusions.
buy air ticket and fly Ottawa CIC office where you sent your passport.
get your police reports as well as Canada post consent that the mail was lost.

at Ottawa office see a manager and explain everything, and they you give you the answer right way?

hope it's help.
Please inform the police but dont go to Ottawa. The CPC Ottawa Office is not open for public. It will be waste of time and money. The process will take a month or two but they will give you the VISA as long as you are in status and satisfy all the conditions.

varunraj

Mar 9, 2013
karenv said:
I will also send email and report to police. I will update if i get any news from cic
Hello Karenv - What is going on with your passport ? Did you get your new passport / did cic gave the visas in new passport ? I am also getting into a similar situation . cpc ottawa sent the passport and not reached me yet. As per canada post tracking, it went to some place in richmond, BC instead of Toronto . so strange :-((

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
What happened to you?

CIC never responded to our emails. We sent it 3 tines and waited for more than a month. We had to get a police report, a lost report from canada post and apply for new passport. we need to wait for 5 days and keep checking with canada post but still no response.

after everything is done and we can no longer wait for cic 's responsse because the deadline for copr is in a month time. We contacted local MP and they agreed to help.

After local MP contacted CIC, we got new visa reissued for new passport in a week.

varunraj

Mar 9, 2013
karenv said:
What happened to you?

CIC never responded to our emails. We sent it 3 tines and waited for more than a month. We had to get a police report, a lost report from canada post and apply for new passport. we need to wait for 5 days and keep checking with canada post but still no response.

after everything is done and we can no longer wait for cic 's responsse because the deadline for copr is in a month time. We contacted local MP and they agreed to help.

After local MP contacted CIC, we got new visa reissued for new passport in a week.

karenv, thanks for your reply.

I got passport request and sent our passports to cpc-ottawa few weeks back. On May 15th, return tracking was enabled. But for some strange reason, it is showing as delivered to Richmond, BC instead of North York, Ontario. I created ticket with canada post yesterday and waiting for a response from claims team. They called me yesterday and asked me to give them 24 to 48 hours to investigate.

So if it turns out to be negative, could you tell me next steps for me ( from your experience ). I understand that I need to get a police report and use that to get a new passport. I also have a work permit which was stamped to original passport. After I get new passport, what is the next thing ? How to get in touch with local MP ? Why I need to do that ? Sorry to ask you so many questions.

Varun.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
If CIC responses to your email, you don't have to contact MP. For our case, the COPR is expired very soon within two month. After sending them email and waiting for more than a month, we have no choice and need helps to contact CIC. If the COPR is expired, it's much harder to reissue the COPR and it may take longer time to get PR. in worst case, our PR can be expired and we need to apply again.

that's why we come to the MP as our final chance. You have to do everything before contacting MP. If not, they won't help you immediately.

You will need to get a new passport and find a local MP.

varunraj

Mar 9, 2013
karenv said:
If CIC responses to your email, you don't have to contact MP. For our case, the COPR is expired very soon within two month. After sending them email and waiting for more than a month, we have no choice and need helps to contact CIC. If the COPR is expired, it's much harder to reissue the COPR and it may take longer time to get PR. in worst case, our PR can be expired and we need to apply again.

that's why we come to the MP as our final chance. You have to do everything before contacting MP. If not, they won't help you immediately.

You will need to get a new passport and find a local MP.
I read somewhere that the expiry date in CORP is 1 year from Medicals ? Is that true ? I did my medical in last December. In that case, can I assume my CORP will expire only in December ?

By the way, how you found that CORP is expiring soon ? If I understand your story correct, you never received the original CORP and passport sent to CPC Ottawa, correct ?

Appreciate your time to respond to these questions.