+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost National Identity Document-what to fill in the generic application form?

asd_21

Jun 17, 2014
Hi, I am from Malaysia and as a malaysian, we are all required to have a national identity document. However, I've lost my card while I am in Canada. So can I answer no to the question asked in the generic application form if I have a national identity document? Should I say yes but explain in a letter saying I've lost it? I've contacted the Malaysian consulate in Ottawa about this and I was told that I can only re-apply for the card in Malaysia provided I make a police report about the lost card.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
asd_21 said:
Hi, I am from Malaysia and as a malaysian, we are all required to have a national identity document. However, I've lost my card while I am in Canada. So can I answer no to the question asked in the generic application form if I have a national identity document? Should I say yes but explain in a letter saying I've lost it? I've contacted the Malaysian consulate in Ottawa about this and I was told that I can only re-apply for the card in Malaysia provided I make a police report about the lost card.
Do you have friends, family or a lawyer who can apply on your behalf in Malaysia? Can you get a legal representative and authorize them via the embassy?

I doubt it's impossible to perform these things if a person is not inside the country.

Do you have a photocopy or scan of the card? If yes, just say yes and include that copy with your application. If no, read the link in my signature to avoid very very very very easily preventable problems like this.