+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost my job after 12 months in Canada. How many points do I lose?

Sep 16, 2020
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm 41 years old male, did a 1 year program, got a 1 year PGWP and worked from August 2019 till August 2020.
Unfortunately I lost my job [3D Architectural Visualiser].
For a day, I thought I left 50 points on the table, but then I realised that's not applicable to me. [I read all the "valid job offer" threads]
I remember the EE profile had a checkbox in the employment section next to "this is my current job" or some such.
My question is, for CEC, is 12 months experience enough, or do I get extra points for STAYING employed on a NOC B job?
I'm at 408 points, slowly making peace with the possibility of having to readjust to life back home.
My IELTS score is 9,9,8,8.5 [overall 8.5]
I dont have a degree, got admitted into a 1 year Ontario Graduate Certificate program thanks to work experience, which means I'm not eligible for a PNP.
Is learning French in a college an option? Would that buy me time and some points?
Thanks all.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm 41 years old male, did a 1 year program, got a 1 year PGWP and worked from August 2019 till August 2020.
Unfortunately I lost my job [3D Architectural Visualiser].
For a day, I thought I left 50 points on the table, but then I realised that's not applicable to me. [I read all the "valid job offer" threads]
I remember the EE profile had a checkbox in the employment section next to "this is my current job" or some such.
My question is, for CEC, is 12 months experience enough, or do I get extra points for STAYING employed on a NOC B job?
I'm at 408 points, slowly making peace with the possibility of having to readjust to life back home.
My IELTS score is 9,9,8,8.5 [overall 8.5]
I dont have a degree, got admitted into a 1 year Ontario Graduate Certificate program thanks to work experience, which means I'm not eligible for a PNP.
Is learning French in a college an option? Would that buy me time and some points?
Thanks all.
There are no extra points for staying in your current job. You'll get points for the 12 months of work experience in Canada since you completed that. So you are not losing points for no longer being in your job.

You are correct that you never qualified for the 50 job offer points. Your employer would have needed to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify for the job offer points.

Unfortunately you age and not having a degree are definitely significant impediments to getting PR.

You can certainly apply to switch your status to visitor to take a French language course. These are generally programs that are six months or less in length which means you don't need a study permit. However this also means you are not eligible to work while you study. And of course the PGWP is a one-time deal so you can never qualify for one of those again. Learning French may or may not be worth it. You should calculate how many points you'll have if you can score high enough on the French test. It's quite possible / likely you'll need to take several French language programs before you get to the level needed to score points. I would assume this will be a year of study.