+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost/misplaced expired passport - Should I apply citizenship

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
Hello members,
I hope I get some direction here. I want to complete application but I have lost my expired passport.

Can I submit all information about my previously expired passport. I have copies of first pages of old passport. Does CIC ask for original expired passport as well? Should I mention about it missing in application in notes?
Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello members,
I hope I get some direction here. I want to complete application but I have lost my expired passport.

Can I submit all information about my previously expired passport. I have copies of first pages of old passport. Does CIC ask for original expired passport as well? Should I mention about it missing in application in notes?
Thanks
You should attach whatever you have and explain your situation in "Letter of Explanation"

Reactions: amirshaikh88

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello members,

Thanks
Not applying for citizenship because of a lost expired passport seems a little extreme, if you are eligible now. However, if you have a history of travel during your eligibility period, IRCC can ask to verify the pages of passports(s) from the time, to confirm your claim of travel dates.

Having said that, your entry / exit and time spent is known to you only and you should be able to judge if you can expect any difficult questions during interview (if required). In that case, you may be better off and wait till that lost passport validity period is out of your eligibility period.

You are not the first one who has a lost document. State the facts as they are, even if they sound weird.

Reactions: armoured

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
Not applying for citizenship because of a lost expired passport seems a little extreme, if you are eligible now. However, if you have a history of travel during your eligibility period, IRCC can ask to verify the pages of passports(s) from the time, to confirm your claim of travel dates.

Having said that, your entry / exit and time spent is known to you only and you should be able to judge if you can expect any difficult questions during interview (if required). In that case, you may be better off and wait till that lost passport validity period is out of your eligibility period.

You are not the first one who has a lost document. State the facts as they are, even if they sound weird.
Thank you for your response. That helps lot.

I do have some scanned copies of previous travels stamps. Just a year of span I didn't scan docs so that's missing. As you mentioned I can prove my travels dates by using flight ticket records and if needed I can show my pay stubs (as before Covid I had to work in office).

As far as validity my new passport is issued on Dec 2020. I got My PR in Sep 2017. So I don't think I will have any difficulty proving my 3 years of stay after PR.

thanks a lot!

Reactions: Seym

saajusaajan

Jun 24, 2019
Thank you for your response. That helps lot.

I do have some scanned copies of previous travels stamps. Just a year of span I didn't scan docs so that's missing. As you mentioned I can prove my travels dates by using flight ticket records and if needed I can show my pay stubs (as before Covid I had to work in office).

As far as validity my new passport is issued on Dec 2020. I got My PR in Sep 2017. So I don't think I will have any difficulty proving my 3 years of stay after PR.

thanks a lot!
Hi Amir, How dod this work out ? i am looking for options in a similar situation