+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost IMM 5292 and few more questions

Delilah14

Jun 10, 2013
Hi,
As I was collecting the documents to apply for my citizenship I realized that I have lost my IMM5292. I immediately called CIC and they told me to apply for a Verification of Status (VOS -IMM 5009). I sent it out a week ago. Just wondering if anyone else went through this and how long did it take for you to receive the VOS? CIC website says 6 months and that's an awfully long time for one piece of paper when they themselves possess the original!!! I am just hoping people have received this faster.
I am a little bummed out because now my citizenship process will take longer :( Did anyone apply for citizenship without a copy of the IMM5292 and supplied it later on during the process?
Thanks in advance, have a good one!

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yup, I lost mine too and applied in January for a VOS. I still haven't received it yet so CIC's six month timeline is aggravatingly correct.
I applied for citizenship in January 2012 and am really hoping that it gets here before I write the test or take the oath.

I can't say for sure if not having it has caused any delay in my application process, my file has been transferred to my local office and I haven't had any correspondence from them indicating that it's a problem. I do know that you have to have it when you take the test/oath.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
justmeinyyc said:
Yup, I lost mine too and applied in January for a VOS. I still haven't received it yet so CIC's six month timeline is aggravatingly correct.
I applied for citizenship in January 2012 and am really hoping that it gets here before I write the test or take the oath.

I can't say for sure if not having it has caused any delay in my application process, my file has been transferred to my local office and I haven't had any correspondence from them indicating that it's a problem. I do know that you have to have it when you take the test/oath.
Did you have it at the time of your application submission?

Was the copy of IMM 5292 required to be submitted to CIC?

Thanks.

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Hi Guys
i hope my comment will make you feel better but it will not affect your application. I went through the same when i applied for my citizenship and below is a brief summary.

1 - applied for citizenship without IMM 5292

2- applied for a (VOS -IMM 5009) after submitting application

3 - had test without IMM5292 and (VOS -IMM 5009) - i was asked and informed them of the situation and showed proof application (copy of application and delivery confirmation)

4- got (VOS -IMM 5009) before oath and was ok (took about 6months)

Hope this helps and good luck

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newcomer said:
Did you have it at the time of your application submission?

Was the copy of IMM 5292 required to be submitted to CIC?

Thanks.
Yes, they did require a copy at the time my application was submitted, but it asked that you submit a letter of explanation if you were missing any documents. I did just that and submitted it with my application, I also explained that I was applying for a VOS. This was all before I found this forum and heard/read about all the issues regarding a RQ etc etc. Had I known all the roadblocks that CIC throws up I might not have applied without the document....

I just called CIC this afternoon regarding where my VOS is (it's been 6 months) and the agent indicated it was still being processed and confirmed that I'm waiting for a test date. It's still possible I'll receive an RQ because I didn't have the document but I think it will be easily explained if I have it at the time of oath.

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
twiggy said:
Hi Guys
i hope my comment will make you feel better but it will not affect your application. I went through the same when i applied for my citizenship and below is a brief summary.

3 - had test without IMM5292 and (VOS -IMM 5009) - i was asked and informed them of the situation and showed proof application (copy of application and delivery confirmation)

This makes me feel better, thank you!!! :)

Delilah14

Jun 10, 2013
steaky said:
The original was kept by you but you lost it!
The one I got was not an original, it was in a really crappy thin paper, everything was printed with carbon ink. The officer never even mentioned this is an important document and to keep it safe somewhere. I moved 3 times after I got my PR so it probably got lost during the moving process.

Delilah14

Jun 10, 2013
justmeinyyc said:
Yes, they did require a copy at the time my application was submitted, but it asked that you submit a letter of explanation if you were missing any documents. I did just that and submitted it with my application, I also explained that I was applying for a VOS. This was all before I found this forum and heard/read about all the issues regarding a RQ etc etc. Had I known all the roadblocks that CIC throws up I might not have applied without the document....

I just called CIC this afternoon regarding where my VOS is (it's been 6 months) and the agent indicated it was still being processed and confirmed that I'm waiting for a test date. It's still possible I'll receive an RQ because I didn't have the document but I think it will be easily explained if I have it at the time of oath.
I have had mixed replies when I called the CIC agents (1800 number ) . One said you can write an explanation and apply and in the mean time apply for a VOS. The other one said if your application is not complete even if ONE document is missing, it will be sent back. So I didn't submit my application because I thought they will prolong my process if this paper is missing.

So the only way of checking where you're in the VOS process is to call an agent? Do they send you a confirmation that they received the application at least? I tried login in on the CIC website, but that service is not available for VOS's.

I just don't understand why they take 6 months to issue this document when they have our whole history in their system :(

Delilah14

Jun 10, 2013
twiggy said:
Hi Guys

Thanks Twiggy. This makes me feel good, but it could be that you were lucky. I am not sure if I should take the risk and apply without it.
I.just.dont.want.a.RQ. Dilemma!
Glad it worked out for you!

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Delilah14 said:
I have had mixed replies when I called the CIC agents (1800 number ) . One said you can write an explanation and apply and in the mean time apply for a VOS. The other one said if your application is not complete even if ONE document is missing, it will be sent back. So I didn't submit my application because I thought they will prolong my process if this paper is missing.

So the only way of checking where you're in the VOS process is to call an agent? Do they send you a confirmation that they received the application at least? I tried login in on the CIC website, but that service is not available for VOS's.

I just don't understand why they take 6 months to issue this document when they have our whole history in their system :(
I don't understand why it takes them 6 months either, but nothing CIC does is fast so I'm not surprised.

Today was the first day I called an agent regarding my VOS as it's been 6 months and I haven't heard a word from them, all I have is an
online receipt. I'm just happy they have a record of my application and it's in process. I was naïve when I submitted my citizenship application, I knew nothing of RQ's or other delays. It asked for an explanation and I provided one, it must have been acceptable or they would have returned my documents long ago.

Delilah14

Jun 10, 2013
twiggy said:
Hi Guys

Hey Twiggy,
What was your timeline for citizenship like? Was it the regular timeline? Did you have a copy of it when you applied? (I dont even have a copy ! argh!)Also how long did it take for you to receive the VOS from when you applied for it?
Thanks in advance!

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Hi, Below is my timeline

Applied October 24, 2011 - i did not have a copy of IMM 5292 (Provided and explanation it was missing and I WILL APPLY FOR NEW ONE)
Processing Started May 4 2012
Test on December 13, 2012 (APPLIED FOR A REPLACEMENT BUT DID NOT HAVE IT ON MY TEST DATE.PROVIDE COPIES AND RECEIPT PAYMENT FOR REPLACEMENT )
Oath on February 12, 2013 (HAD REPLACEMENT FOR OATH AND WAS OK)

I applied for the replacement around June 2012 but got it around December 19th

Good luck

Delilah14

Jun 10, 2013
twiggy said:
Hi, Below is my timeline

Applied October 24, 2011 - i did not have a copy of IMM 5292 (Provided and explanation it was missing and I WILL APPLY FOR NEW ONE)
Processing Started May 4 2012
Test on December 13, 2012 (APPLIED FOR A REPLACEMENT BUT DID NOT HAVE IT ON MY TEST DATE.PROVIDE COPIES AND RECEIPT PAYMENT FOR REPLACEMENT )
Oath on February 12, 2013 (HAD REPLACEMENT FOR OATH AND WAS OK)

I applied for the replacement around June 2012 but got it around December 19th

Good luck

Thanks Twiggy, that was really helpful :)