+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lost application package

mamapapaSL

Jan 11, 2011
I am sponsoring my wife to come to Canada from overseas, and our PR spousal app was received at CIC Mississauga late November 2010. After not being able to access the status of our application online past the 1st step processing timeframe, I called CIC, who informed me that I had missed a signature, and the entire package was returned to me Dec. 21, 2010. It is now January 11 and 3 weeks have passed by, and the package has not arrived. I checked with CIC and there was no tracking number, even though the package was large and would have had to go out as a parcel. I went to the local Canada Post depot today, and they did not have anything. This package had everythings, including the application, supporting documents, pictures, medical receipt, police clearance, emails, texts, etc. Some, such as the medical receipt and police clearance, and moneygram/western union receipts were originals, and the originals will have to be re-accessed.
Any advice? Is it possible CIC mississauga's mail room is slow or was closed over Christmas? Any recourse since my documents were lost?
Any help would be appreciated. This has been a heartbreaking week, as we were expecting confirmation letter that the case is going to the 2nd step, and now it seems we might have to start from scratch.

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
mamapapaSL said:
I am sponsoring my wife to come to Canada from overseas, and our PR spousal app was received at CIC Mississauga late November 2010. After not being able to access the status of our application online past the 1st step processing timeframe, I called CIC, who informed me that I had missed a signature, and the entire package was returned to me Dec. 21, 2010. It is now January 11 and 3 weeks have passed by, and the package has not arrived. I checked with CIC and there was no tracking number, even though the package was large and would have had to go out as a parcel. I went to the local Canada Post depot today, and they did not have anything. This package had everythings, including the application, supporting documents, pictures, medical receipt, police clearance, emails, texts, etc. Some, such as the medical receipt and police clearance, and moneygram/western union receipts were originals, and the originals will have to be re-accessed.
Any advice? Is it possible CIC mississauga's mail room is slow or was closed over Christmas? Any recourse since my documents were lost?
Any help would be appreciated. This has been a heartbreaking week, as we were expecting confirmation letter that the case is going to the 2nd step, and now it seems we might have to start from scratch.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but start over. By now, mail delivery is back to normal. The only time CIC was closed was on the days listed for stat holidays. People were sent letters in between and have started receiving them last week, also Canada post is back in full force. This happend to a friend of mine who was divorcing and he was in a different province and his application went missing and he needed to redo everything again. Hwoever, the documents are nothing like the stuff we have to do for immigration. You could give it a few more days to see if it pops up, obviously whether it was package post or not, they did not put a tracking number on it. Packages unless they are express post or not and you pay for tracking don't automatically come with one.

Best of luck, I wish there was more as advice I could offer you, hopefully you had a photo copy of your application which will make filling out another one much easier. Just gathering docs again are a pain in the ass. Ask your spouse to go to the DMP and see if she can get something proving she had her medical done, and also find out from CIC if they will accept a copuy of your customer receipt to show proof of payment, (as these are always the poriginals that have been sent). Best of like for you, my heart is breaking for you. :(

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
isn't it possible to call back CIC and inform them that u didn't receive the package yet; maybe they could track it down some how...maybe they could give u some reference number and u can show that to the post office; don't give up especially if u have originals in there too

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
Unfortunately, OP stated he checked with CIC and there was no reference number. You can check with them again to see if you get info from someone else. But the fact is without a tracking number, that package is floating and may never be returned. This is common with Canada Post. :(

suze_h

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I honestly wouldn't give up hope just yet. Are you in Canada and if so whereabouts? My original application took 2 weeks to get from Toronto to Mississauga (ie 10 minutes down the road) because of an error in the postal system and that was in September so no Christmas postal delays to contend with!!! And a parcel I sent from Canada to the UK for Christmas just took 6 weeks to arrive, which made zero sense when another parcel that I sent to the same place on the same day only took 9 days.........

Anything could have happened, so I would wait a bit longer before sending out a new application. I really empathize with you, I know exactly how it feels when you think you are going to have to apply for all those original documents again. Really hope this gets sorted for you! I can't understand why CIC wouldn't have used some kind of tracking system when these applications have so many important documents in them!

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i had a package recently shipped from Seattle take 42 days to get to Toronto...

and this was a few weeks before christmas with all its extra delays and stat days... while it's hard, I'd say give it another few weeks before you even think about panicing too much, it's amazing how inefficient snail mail can be... if there was no tracking number it was shipped the lowest postage possible, which is probably almost the equivilent of it being walked to you... by a blind sloth... in other words, it's not going to be fast :)

hang in there and try to have faith..

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Someone on this forum one suggested checking at the local postal depot as sometimes the mail is dropped off there if the postie doesn't have enough time to finish their route.. it is a stretch but may be worth it?

shiftpro

Star Member
Nov 21, 2010
Nelson, BC
Visa Office......
Sao PAulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-11
VISA ISSUED...
October '11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LANDED..........
December 16, 2011
I'm so sorry to hear this... makes me sick thinking about it. I'm in Brazil waiting for some docs from Canada to arrive so we can
proceed with our marriage. Before I left for Brazil near the end of Nov. I was so preoccupied getting everything together for
my spouse's immigration application that I didn't look closely enough at what was required to get married. Anyway at the last
moment I learned I need my long form BC and marriage search to be legalized by the Brazil consulate and so sent them off.
It took nearly four weeks for these docs to arrive back at home so my son could send them to Brazil via Canada Express Post.
They say 8 days delivery time well today it has been 15 days. The racking number only tells me that the package left Canada
on the 4th of Jan. When the package arrives in Brazil Sedex takes over. Maybe my documents are floating away in the floods
Sao Paulo is receiving...

Chot89

Jan 11, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2010
AOR Received.
14-10-2010
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
usually if soemthing has been sent to you and you dont recieve it or the parcell could not reach its destination for a particular reason, they would send it back to where it came from. I would check back with them after a week to see if they got it back because you have to consider the time frame. It takes a while for it to reach you, then if you didnt get it they hold it for a week or so, then if they send it back it will take another while. so just wait and see. someone has to have record that this went out. See if you can contact the mailing room. dont give up because thats alot of money and work put into one package. Good luck

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nylalisa said:
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but start over. By now, mail delivery is back to normal. The only time CIC was closed was on the days listed for stat holidays. People were sent letters in between and have started receiving them last week, also Canada post is back in full force.
Hi nylalisa, based on the quote above, does this mean that it's not advisable to send anything to CIC during the holiday period, i.e. final week of December to first week of January?

Thank you :)

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
whoopsydaisy said:
Hi nylalisa, based on the quote above, does this mean that it's not advisable to send anything to CIC during the holiday period, i.e. final week of December to first week of January?

Thank you :)
[/quote

You can send things for sure, its just everything is slow... mail traffic is high due the holidays. So things tend to go missing...

shiftpro

Star Member
Nov 21, 2010
Nelson, BC
Visa Office......
Sao PAulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-11
VISA ISSUED...
October '11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LANDED..........
December 16, 2011
mamapapaSL said:

Any news on your package??

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
mamapapaSL said:
3 weeks even a month is not a time in this case. U may still get it any moment. Pray to God . It's now in his hands. Keep us posted. Hope to hear good news from you soon. May God help you.

mamapapaSL

Jan 11, 2011
hi everyone,
sorry for not keeping you up to date but has been a hectic few months.
so, i took people's advice and went to my local postal processing depot...the gentleman at the depot was friendly and told me that he'd take a look for it and took my number and would get back to me. I got a call the next day at work in the morning. he said it was on it's way that day to get sent to the nearest canada post outlet. now this is like Jan.18th and it was postmarked Dec.22, so I doubt it was actually just being sent out that day (it was probably sitting in a corner somewhere!) but hey, I'm happy I got it back....
So I resent my app, and was accepted as a sponsor. my wife has since been called in for an interview in Ghana, which went well. They told her to come back the next day to get her visa, but when whe went back they told her the medical results hadn't been uploaded to the database, so she was told to go back to her country and wait until they can locate the resutlts. I hope that's soon!!!!!!
Anyway, I'm hopeful that the medical results issue will be sorted out soon and my wife will get a call to go back to Ghana to pick up her visa. I just wanted to send a note out to update you because I had a few people indicate they were in the same situation with regards to the mailing back of their application package from Mississauga...so based on my experience, I'd recommend you go to your local postal processing depot and see if they can search for it...

All the best to everyone...