+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost and hearbroken: study permit denied for what reasons?

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am completely lost and heartbroken after having being refused a study permit. Here is my situation:

- 24 yo male, Moroccan citizenship, graduated from a Top 3 US university with Bachelor's in Finance in 2015
- Have been working from 2015 to now as a data scientist for a top bank on Wall Street in New York City
- Applied, and got into Master's of Mathematics at McGill, start in Winter 2018
- Applied, and received CAQ, start in August 2017
- July 11th 2017: sent application for a study permit with all documents reviewed 1000 times

Today, 20 days later, I am told that my application is denied because specifically, "You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay". Specifically, the factors were "Immigration status in country of residence" and "purpose of visit".

-"Immigration status in country of residence":
I am on an H1B visa, and live in the US. I listed US as my current country of residence because I work here. How does working in the US play against me for a study permit? I am completely lost!! Could it be that the officer did not believe this? My actual home is in Morocco. I haven't "lived" there for the last 6 years since I did 4 years school and 2 years of work.

- "purpose of visit": All I want is to actually study, and attend this specific program at McGill. I even took days off and traveled to meet with the professor in Montreal before applying...What does it mean? Does the officer think I am not actually trying to "go" to Canada to study?

Additional info:
- I have travelled many times to Canada over the last 6 years since I studied in the US and proximity.
- I have travelled to Mexico, Germany, Canada, France, Hong Kong and Singapore over the last two years. Business and Tourism.
- My "actual" country of residence is Morocco. This is where I plan on going back after my degree., not the US where I currently am.

If anyone can please help understand what could have happened with my application, I would highly highly appreciate it as I am not sure what I can do at this point. Should I re-apply and show ties to my actual country, Morocco?

Thank you guys

shababsaad

Jun 21, 2017
Hey, did you attach documents in your application that proves your H1B status here at the US? Also did you attach a Statement of Purpose?

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
I did not send a Statement of Purpose (I didn't see that in any of the lists of documents to submit?) and I did not send proof of H1B status either. I sent an employment letter, resume, and letter of explanation explaining that I am applying from the US because I work there.

Two questions:

- Is it possible that the officer did NOT understand that I am not planning on coming back to my current country of residence (the US)? Indeed, I currently reside in the US, but my "real" home is Morocco. Maybe the officer thought "mm this guy is on H1B status, which he would lose by going to study in Canada. If he goes to Canada, he can't come back to the US on H1B. Therefore, he has no where else to go and must be planning on staying in Canada illegally".

- Right now, I am ready to send the following docs: official letters of properties back in Morocco, official family documents proving my parents/brothers are still alive, and my parents still married, Statement of Purpose, proof of H1B status and all documents related to the H1B application process (I-94, I-20 etc etc). I am ready to show any sort of tie to my home country Morocco.

What do you think my best plan is? Is there any possibility to send over those documents now? Or do I have to restart a whole application from the start? I have a strange feeling this is a misunderstanding. I have been in Canada as a tourist at least 10 times, and have 0 incentive to stay there after my degree given my current compensation in the US, which I will never get in Canada.

Please let me know if anyone can as this has changed my plans for the next two years very dramatically...

Thanks a lot

haleys

Jul 25, 2017
Hi Lost Soul, I'm really sorry to hear about the rejection. I think before you re-apply, you should get CAIPS notes first. The notes will give you detailed reasons for the rejection. Then you can address their concerns and definitely include a SOP next time. Best of luck!!

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello Haleys, thanks for your answer...

I already ordered the CAIPS notes to understand what's behind this rejection. Besides that, has anyone ever gotten rejected for the same specific reasons ? (purpose of visit and immigration status in country of residence).

Again, I have 0 clue what could have happened, as I paid the equivalent of 4 times McGill's tuition for 4 years at a US school for undergrad. Then I got approved for H1B high skilled jobs US visa, which is a complete roller coaster to get (demanding and random application process). How is a skilled worker coming from the US with a top 3 degree and 2 years of work in technology/trading any threat to Canada?
I also have been many many times in Canada over the last 6 years (6 months cumulative or so). If the "purpose of visit" is a reason for denial, why would bother getting into a masters of mathematics school program at mcgill to illegally stay in Canada? Couldn't I simply have done that when I went there as a tourist?

More broadly, do you guys have any hypotheses on what the reasons behind the "status in country of resisdence" and "purpose of visit" were?

Thank you...

haleys

Jul 25, 2017
Hi lost soul, my application is still in progress so I can't really answer why, especially since you do seem to have a solid case.

I have a similar profile as you, graduated from top uni in US for my bachelor's, worked in California for a year, and now applying for master's in Vancouver. I also feel like there's no reason as to why they would reject your visa for the reasons you have outlined above. However, according to my research (spending hours in this forum, so probably not very reliable, haha), applicants who live in a different country other than his/her country of citizenship does seem to get more rejections. That's why i strongly suggest you to include a SOP (and talks about your future plan to go back to your home country, why math after finance, and why this university in Canada) and include documents proving you have ties to your home country next time you re-apply for a visa. I just think since they don't do interviews (unless asked) for Canadian visa, try to include as much info as you can in your application.

Sorry I can't be of more help, it does seem like at the end of the day, luck plays a big part (and since you got your H1B, I believe you have plenty of that :) ). Good luck!

Reactions: dreamy2536

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you have a very good chance of being approved. I would wait for the notes but I think you should explain how the masters of math will improve your skills leading to more specialized work opportunities. It may not be evident to someone how a math degree is related to your previous degree in finance and how the skills you learn will enable you to advance your career. I just think you will need to go into much more detail about your studies and work in the US, your various visas and your ties to your home country. Hope the notes clear up the situation.

Randomgirl

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Hi everyone! I applied for september intake on 28th june n my visa got refused on 26th july. now im thinking to reapply for jan intake.. i have order Caips notes too.
Reason of Refusal::
-We are not sure that you will be coming back after your stay in canada!
-purpose of visit
-Others... like course, missing marks and many random reasons..
My profile :
IELTS ( L : 7.5 R: 6.5 W: 7 S: 6.5 )
10th : 37% ( had an accident that time n will explain that to VO)
12th : 67%
BCA : 72%
MCA: 75%
work exp: 3yrs ( one year back-end ) two years as a Senior Network Engineer at HCL tech.
Course : Information Security Management. from Fanshawe college, ON ( and my course content is relevent with my studies and experiance and would definitely enhance n upgrade my skills)
What are my chances to get the visa if I'll apply for 2nd time!! Any suggestions are most welcome n highly appreciated!! Thanks

M

MayorGrom

I can see the officer point. You will lose your h1b by the time you are done with the education.

scorpio1641

Apr 12, 2014
Visa Office......
VFS Cebu
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2015 / Med. Furtherance Request: 09-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-02-2015 / Furtherance Done: 10-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2015
I did not send a Statement of Purpose (I didn't see that in any of the lists of documents to submit?) and I did not send proof of H1B status either. I sent an employment letter, resume, and letter of explanation explaining that I am applying from the US because I work there.

Two questions:

- Is it possible that the officer did NOT understand that I am not planning on coming back to my current country of residence (the US)? Indeed, I currently reside in the US, but my "real" home is Morocco. Maybe the officer thought "mm this guy is on H1B status, which he would lose by going to study in Canada. If he goes to Canada, he can't come back to the US on H1B. Therefore, he has no where else to go and must be planning on staying in Canada illegally".

- Right now, I am ready to send the following docs: official letters of properties back in Morocco, official family documents proving my parents/brothers are still alive, and my parents still married, Statement of Purpose, proof of H1B status and all documents related to the H1B application process (I-94, I-20 etc etc). I am ready to show any sort of tie to my home country Morocco.
You should've submitted your proof of status in the US such as your H1B visa, because that is the only way the officer will know you are there legally. The thing with these applications is that one should not assume the officers "understand" you are there legally, and that you do not intend to stay in Canada after your studies without documentation.

Also technically you are still a resident of Morocco because you are not a US citizen. Therefore you should show strong ties there instead.

In this case, a strong statement of purpose, plus all your documentation that you mentioned would be sufficient. Don't panic, your first application was just lacking documents that's why it was refused. Send a stronger second application instead. And yes, you would have to reapply.

Include an FBI clearance as well, since you lived in the US for more than six months.

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
You should've submitted your proof of status in the US such as your H1B visa, because that is the only way the officer will know you are there legally. The thing with these applications is that one should not assume the officers "understand" you are there legally, and that you do not intend to stay in Canada after your studies without documentation.

Also technically you are still a resident of Morocco because you are not a US citizen. Therefore you should show strong ties there instead.

In this case, a strong statement of purpose, plus all your documentation that you mentioned would be sufficient. Don't panic, your first application was just lacking documents that's why it was refused. Send a stronger second application instead. And yes, you would have to reapply.

Include an FBI clearance as well, since you lived in the US for more than six months.
Thanks for your answer mate. Silly of me I was too naive to think that the embassy of Canada would "know" through their database that I am in the US on H1B. If not, doesn't that mean anyone can send any documentation they want ? and they wouldn't have any way to check it?

That is an interesting point actually. I am officially considered a "resident alien", so I am indeed a resident of the US. Morocco is my country of origin.

What I am actually going to do now believe it or not is resign from my job, go back to Morocco, and then apply for a study permit from there. I was going to resign anyways but was hoping to get a study permit before doing so. This is a risky move, but hell, if with my case I am denied a study permit twice, then I'd rather apply for refugee status as that would probably increase my chances these days lol.

Doing this is more risky, but should relief any ambiguity on my status and country of residence, and my next application will include all documents from first application + CAIPS notes attached to every single document CAIPS notes suggests I should send + all documents even mentioned on this thread.

If it still doesn't go through, then I will build a spaceship and try to leave planet earth.

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I will be applying for the second time for a study permit tomorrow. My CAIPS notes explained that I was refused the permit because I didn't show proof of legal status in the US, no other reason (no financial, or fraud related thing. it was only because of that). As said above, I didn't attach any I-94, H1B petition or H1B visa or anything to my first application because I didn't think of it.
My first application in August was done from the US because I was still working there. I have now resigned from my job and came back to Morocco. This was planned regardless of my first application decision. It just happened that I didn't get my study permit the first time, and now I have to apply from Morocco instead of the US.

As I know some of these immigration officers lack a couple of neurones, I am providing every single proof they could ask for, and am explaining my whole story in a 8 pages document, answering why Canada, why McGill, why Math, why not study in Morocco, why I want to come back to Morocco after my degree, why I am applying from Morocco now vs US in my first application. I am providing the following documents:
  • CAQ, McGill admission letter
  • 5 pages Letter of Explanation, 3 pages Statement of purpose
  • First application refusal letter, and CAIPS notes with detailed explanation from CAIPS
  • Financial resources: 12 months financial statements and savings showing ability to pay for 2 years of tuition+living expenses+flights in my american bank account
  • My undergraduate official transcripts and scanned copy of my paper Diploma
  • My scanned F1 visa, All US travel history and I-94s for the two passports I used in the US showing entry both as F1 then H1B
  • I-797 H1B petition approval and Appointment Receipt from US consulate where I got the H1B stamp
  • Scanned copy of my last two passports
  • History of payments of my undegrad tuition: total of $250,000 CAD
  • 4 W2 US tax forms showing income in the US for the last 3 years
  • Letter of employment and every single pay slip for the last 2 years
  • Email showing scheduling meeting with the chair of the McGill Math department, and flight tickets showing my trip to meet him
  • Copy of my last lease in NYC and my Resume
  • Certificates of property of 3 homes in Morocco
  • Certificate of Marriage for my parents
  • My parent's financial statements
  • Official Family booklet showing I am a member of my family lol

I think at this point they could only refuse my application for one reason: "Application file too long, looks suspicious". I will let you know how it goes but I am pretty much ready to leave planet Earth if I receive a second refusal haha

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

it seems I am in for a ride this time. While when I applied from the US I was not asked to send an FBI clearance, and it wasn't mentioned in my application refusal, I just realized now that when applying on paper from Morocco I need FBI clearance.

Today is Sept.22nd, and the FBI clearance processing time is 12 weeks + mailing time (if it doesn't get lost...). That is 3 months + from now, and my program is supposed to start in January 2018. I already deferred the application from Fall 2017 because of the first refusal.

What am I supposed to do now? Is immigration actually going to be ana* about this and ask me to come back to them only when I receive FBI clearance in January ?? I am really reaching my limit here, these immigration officers make you feel like a criminal and an illegal immigrant, when all I am trying to do is do some f*** math research at McGill after working on Wall st for two f**** years.

Please let me know if anyone had a similar situation I am getting desperate...