+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Losing you PR

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Hi

I wondering what are the reasons for someone losing their PR?

Leaving the country for a certain period of time?
Breaking the law?
Divorce from your sponsor?

Etc, etc??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most people who lose their PR lose it because they don't keep with the residency requirements of living in Canada for at least 2 years in every 5 year period.

Committing a crime is also a possibility. If it is severe, immigration can revoke your PR and deport you.

Misrepresentation is another possibility. That is if you are found out having lied to get your PR.

Getting divorced from your sponsor is not grounds to lose your PR yet but there are new rules coming where a sponsored spouse will get a temporary PR, much like it is in the US and if they divorce within that period, their PR would not be renewed. Of course it is also possible that you could lose your PR for misrepresentation if you divorce your sponsor and immigration finds that the marriage was not genuine.

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Ok

Well my PR is being issued in the next couple of weeks so that divorce law wont be into effect before then I hope. I love my wife but things are rocky and woud hate if we did get divorced but needed to know what the laws were if that did become a factor.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you didn't lie about anything on your PR application, you should be ok but also if you get divorced, should you later want to sponsor a new spouse, you might have to prove again that your current marriage was genuine.

I heard of a case of a woman who lost her PR after trying to sponsor a new husband. Immigration looked into her case and found that her first marriage was not genuine so they revoked her PR. I do not know exactly why they found that but it is possible that she was over-zealous in proving her new relationship and mentioned having known her new husband or being in a relationship with him while she was still being sponsored for PR by the first one.

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
:-[

Pretty heartbroken here. It looks like me and my Wife are splitting. I have my PR only issued a couple of weeks ago. Im nervous though about what happens. Is there any chance we could be jailed or anything for getting divorced? Could I lose my PR?

Asking the same question again I suppose Im just freaking out!!!

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
Napiergen said:

Pretty heartbroken here. It looks like me and my Wife are splitting. I have my PR only issued a couple of weeks ago. Im nervous though about what happens. Is there any chance we could be jailed or anything for getting divorced? Could I lose my PR?

As long as the relationship was genuine when you entered it and applied they cannot revoke your PR. But should you decide to remarry later and have to sponsor them this current marriage/divorce situation could possibly be scrutinised to see if it was genuine or not.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great advice from CharlieD. Once you become a PR, they cannot take that away from you just because you are getting a divorce from your sponsor, per se. Marriages take a lot of effort to hold together from both sides, whether the couple is from the same country or not, but marriages that go through the pressure and scrutiny of the immigration process take even more effort.

I agree that it looks odd that this comes only a couple of weeks after you got your PR. But once CIC lets you land, they effectively wash their hands of you. Even people who have later gone to court to prove the PR had misled them are often not successful in getting CIC to remove the person from Canada. I'm really sad that things are not working out for you and your wife. Are you sure that this is un-fixable? Even with counseling? She is financially responsible for you for 3 years per her sponsorship undertaking agreement, so I would suggest making sure you do not go on welfare and thus having her owe money to the government.

Napiergen said:

Napiergen

Jul 9, 2010
Its pretty brutal to say the least because I do love her SOOOOO much!! We've been reading the Love and Respect book. Its all about how to hold a marriage together but there is alot of resentment from things said and done. I think a bit of time apart might help us I dunno. Baaaaaah do I hate to be in this position. Also I dont really know anyone over here. My life was/is her so heading out into the world as a singleton is daunting I must say.

There is no doubt our love and marriage was/is completely genuine. Its just living together is another thing. :(

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
If adjusting to living together is causing problems, living apart isn't really going to help. You can only try to make living with someone work by living with them.

Resentment is easy to harbour, especially when someone you love says and does things you figure they know would be hurtful to you (I'm speaking generally, not you as in "you"). The really great thing about love is that it covers a multitude of wrongs. It neutralises resentment and helps you move past the thoughtless word/deed.

And finally, some advice from my mother that she gave me (because she knew I needed to hear this). "In marriage, even when you're right, sometimes for the sake of peace, you have to be wrong. Learn to let go of your right to be right, don't insist on it every single time you are wronged, it will make you easier to live with!"

I hope you can both work together and resolve this, and move forward together.

saifsmarty

Apr 4, 2010
pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
ISBD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
JUNE 2011.
Passport Req..
ON WAITING
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
CharlieD10 said:
If adjusting to living together is causing problems, living apart isn't really going to help. You can only try to make living with someone work by living with them.

Resentment is easy to harbour, especially when someone you love says and does things you figure they know would be hurtful to you (I'm speaking generally, not you as in "you"). The really great thing about love is that it covers a multitude of wrongs. It neutralises resentment and helps you move past the thoughtless word/deed.

And finally, some advice from my mother that she gave me (because she knew I needed to hear this). "In marriage, even when you're right, sometimes for the sake of peace, you have to be wrong. Learn to let go of your right to be right, don't insist on it every single time you are wronged, it will make you easier to live with!"

I hope you can both work together and resolve this, and move forward together.
very well said chrlie. ur words made me respect u because u have explained a (husband wife sacred relation and to keep it in problems) best . salutes u .