+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Losing permanent residency in Canada

yycpam

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

My dad is a Canadian citizen and my stepmom had permanent residency status - they were in Canada on/off until 2011 when they went to the Philippines to take care of my stepmom's mom.

They haven't been back since. I know they haven't been in the country in the last 8 years, so I'm thinking she's no longer a PR. And that my dad will need to sponsor her to get it reinstated.

I have a feeling they're going to try for Humanitarian and Compassionate causes as to why she doesn't meet the residency requirement anymore and try to get a Permanent Resident Travel Document that way, but I really don't think it's gonna work.

Anyone been in this scenario before?

yycpam

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
She has been gone for eight years, and what is the status of the stepmom's mom ?
She passed away 3 years ago, and they have just taken their sweet time making plans to go back.

Disclaimer: I want them to go through the right process, not to go through shortcuts. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

My dad is a Canadian citizen and my stepmom had permanent residency status - they were in Canada on/off until 2011 when they went to the Philippines to take care of my stepmom's mom.

They haven't been back since. I know they haven't been in the country in the last 8 years, so I'm thinking she's no longer a PR. And that my dad will need to sponsor her to get it reinstated.

I have a feeling they're going to try for Humanitarian and Compassionate causes as to why she doesn't meet the residency requirement anymore and try to get a Permanent Resident Travel Document that way, but I really don't think it's gonna work.

Anyone been in this scenario before?
She should apply for a PRTD on the basis of having lived with her Canadian spouse with zero mention of H&C.

naresh2020

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24th July
I have a question, I got a the PR from 2016 - Aug to 2021 - Sep.... Can I renew/extend my PR now for the next 5 years(2021 - 2026)?... what is the best time to start the application? .... May I also get the application instruction page URL?