+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for the correct route to move from the UK to Canada

MTCJ

Mar 3, 2020
Hi everyone, first time posting on the forum and looking for advice on the best route to be able to move from the UK to Canada.

I am looking to move with my wife (39yo), my son (2 weeks old) and farther in law (77yo), I'm 32. All UK British citizens.

I am a qualified mechanical / structural engineer with a BEng degree and my wife is a cost engineer. My farther in law is retired.

My wife and I have a 14 house property portfolio here in the UK and would be keeping this to finacially support us on arriving in Canada.

Ideally, we would like to continue to invest in property in Canada.

Could you please advise on the best options / route for us to take.

Many thanks,

Mathew

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, first time posting on the forum and looking for advice on the best route to be able to move from the UK to Canada.

I am looking to move with my wife (39yo), my son (2 weeks old) and farther in law (77yo), I'm 32. All UK British citizens.

I am a qualified mechanical / structural engineer with a BEng degree and my wife is a cost engineer. My farther in law is retired.

My wife and I have a 14 house property portfolio here in the UK and would be keeping this to finacially support us on arriving in Canada.

Many thanks,

Mathew
Your fathe-in-law could not apply for immigration with you. Would look up the various immigration programs to see if you qualify. CRS around 470 is needed for FSW.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

Wotsit

Dec 14, 2019
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-02-2020
Nomination.....
29-01-2020
AOR Received.
13-02-2020
Med's Done....
17-03-2020
Passport Req..
15-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2021
LANDED..........
03-12-2021

Many thanks,

Mathew
Would your father in law be able to come to Canada at a later date? Once you have achieved permanent residence I believe that you could sponsor him for permanent residence also.
It's definitely worth using a calculator to see if your CRS score will be close to the 470 needed for fsw if not check through the website of each province to see if you qualify for their pnps.
With your property portfolio stated you may well have enough capital to think about emigrating through a business pathway? I'm not sure about this but it may be worth a look.

Congratulations... 2 weeks old wow :) loads of disturbed nights to look forward to.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would your father in law be able to come to Canada at a later date? Once you have achieved permanent residence I believe that you could sponsor him for permanent residence also.
It's definitely worth using a calculator to see if your CRS score will be close to the 470 needed for fsw if not check through the website of each province to see if you qualify for their pnps.
With your property portfolio stated you may well have enough capital to think about emigrating through a business pathway? I'm not sure about this but it may be worth a look.

Congratulations... 2 weeks old wow :) loads of disturbed nights to look forward to.
They would have to know sponsoring a parent is not guaranteed and would take many years. The fil could visit longer term around a year after moving if he was well enough and had supervisa medical insurance for emergencies.

Reactions: Wotsit

Vancouver0120

Feb 15, 2020

Many thanks,

Mathew
Hi Mathew,
For you, your child and your spouse, express entry would be the best bet. For your father-in-law, that's a whole different issue. He is not considered a dependant, and thus cannot immigrate at the same time with you and your spouse. He can however apply to come after you arrive to Canada, either through family sponsorship or Super Visa. Super visa would be faster and allow him to stay with you for up to 2 years. Here's the link I got for you.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=343&top=14

Hope this helps. Cheers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Mathew,
For you, your child and your spouse, express entry would be the best bet. For your father-in-law, that's a whole different issue. He is not considered a dependant, and thus cannot immigrate at the same time with you and your spouse. He can however apply to come after you arrive to Canada, either through family sponsorship or Super Visa. Super visa would be faster and allow him to stay with you for up to 2 years. Here's the link I got for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Just want to clarify that supervisa requires that you show a certain amount of earned income in Canada so can’t be used immediately. You are likely looking at around 1 year until you qualify. Some misinterpret and think they just need to show their salary amount and will be able to get a supervisa soon after arrival. If a parent gets sick they will be required to return home after they are stabilized. Supervisa insurance is just for emergencies. It would not cover any chronic health issues and routine care.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Many thanks,

Mathew
Key question is how important is it for your father to come with you. If important, then Canada is a no-go. Your father is not classified as a dependent and cannot come with you.

If you are good leaving your rather behind, then it's certainly possible. Recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program.

MTCJ

Mar 3, 2020
Hi Mathew,

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Could my farther in law just come over on a 6month tourist visa? If so, how long would he need to return to the UK for before coming back to Canada on another 6months visa? He is fit and well and I have no propblem in paying for his insurance or medical expenses should he need them in Canada.

Thanks again,

Matt

MTCJ

Mar 3, 2020

Haha thank you, its been a real shock to the system and just about getting use to the sleepless nights lol.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Ill check out the calculator and see where I stand with it.

My wife wouldnt want to leave him behind on his own so ideally we would like him to come with us. I was wondering wheather he would just be able to come over on a tourist 6month visa with us? Not sure how long he would have to return to the UK for, before being allowed back over though? Do you think this is a viable solution until we can look into sponsoring him?

I was also looking at the business pathway, but believe that this is no longer an option now.

Would be really greatful if you could let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Matt

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Haha thank you, its been a real shock to the system and just about getting use to the sleepless nights lol.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Ill check out the calculator and see where I stand with it.

My wife wouldnt want to leave him behind on his own so ideally we would like him to come with us. I was wondering wheather he would just be able to come over on a tourist 6month visa with us? Not sure how long he would have to return to the UK for, before being allowed back over though? Do you think this is a viable solution until we can look into sponsoring him?

I was also looking at the business pathway, but believe that this is no longer an option now.

Would be really greatful if you could let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Matt
Not really a viable solution in the long run especially given his age. You are essentially asking if he can move to Canada as a visitor. Have you actually looked to see if you qualify to immigrate? What is your CRS score?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Could my farther in law just come over on a 6month tourist visa? If so, how long would he need to return to the UK for before coming back to Canada on another 6months visa? He is fit and well and I have no propblem in paying for his insurance or medical expenses should he need them in Canada.

Thanks again,

Matt
Since he's only allowed to visit you should plan that he had to spend more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any given year. So you would need to make sure he maintains something in the UK he can use as his primary residence.

Reactions: MTCJ and canuck78

ingoingoingo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2020
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
3111 (CRS 1058)
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-02-2020
IELTS Request
30-11-2019
Med's Done....
07-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2020
LANDED..........
29-09-2020
Some other things to bear in mind...

You will also find that your UK source income and gains from property are subject to tax in Canada, which are generally higher than the UK. There is a double taxation agreement but the relief is only partial, so you need to be able to fill in your UK tax figure on Canadian return and vice versa.

I find the Canadian tax return system is less user-friendly to do it yourself, though it’ll probably get easier with time (and if/as tax position gets simpler). An accountant will charge around C$350 an hour. There are onerous reporting requirements for international assets with strict penalties. It is virtually impossible to find someone who can give Canadian-specific tax and financial advice in the UK, unless you work for a multi-national or pay huge fees.

Gains on property will also depend on the GBP/CAD exchange rate applied to GBP value on the date of your deemed disposition (when you become tax resident in Canada). You will potentially need to get all 14 properties valued around this date. It’s best to do this prospectively if possible. Any disposal (including from you to a company) or change in use (residential/rental/business, but not between tenants) will potential incur a liability to capital gains. If the property portfolio is part of your retirement planning (and now for your new dependent!) then you will find that Canada will want to take a chunk too that’ll impact on your income and gains. Probably rent will be considered a business income in Canada. You might want to set it up accordingly in the UK if you haven’t already.

It is also a pain in the <3 to manage even a single rental property half way across the world. Have no idea how would cope with 14! But you probably have some good systems, trades and local property management in place already.

Other top tips ... TransferWise and Revolut (though clearly getting ahead of myself and you’ve not even started your PR journey!).

Reactions: MTCJ

onevanlife

Jan 12, 2020
So I see that there is a "Federal Skilled Trades" program where your CRS only needs to be ~350 or so. So it seems that professionals need a higher score/CRS to get in than those in "trades"...? That doesn't really make sense does it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I see that there is a "Federal Skilled Trades" program where your CRS only needs to be ~350 or so. So it seems that professionals need a higher score/CRS to get in than those in "trades"...? That doesn't really make sense does it?
Yes - it does make sense. Cut offs are based on the number of applicants in the pool. Tons of people trying to get in via federal skilled worker so higher cut offs. Large number of people push the scores up.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A couple of options.

Assuming your wife also has a Bachelor and you both max out your IELTS, you would only have 428 points together. This is not even close to being enough for an invitation and might not even be enough for PNP. You could try and apply for jobs in your field in Canada, a valid job offer is worth 50 points at least and would bring you over the current minimum points threshold.

Is your 14 house portfolio worth at least 2 million CAD? In that case you might be able to use Quebecs investor program for immigration.
For the Quebec program, they would also need to have $1.2M available (not tied up in investments) to hand over to the Quebec government for a five year term.