+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for some advice - Pregnant girlfriend

foobnum

Jul 30, 2008
My girlfriend and I just found out she is pregnant. I am a Canadian citizen born and raised in BC, and she is here on a working visa from New Zealand. The plan was always to eventually marry and have kids, just not this soon. Her visa will expire at the end of this year and she has no medical coverage for the pregnancy (she is due in late March). We have been living together for about 4 months now so not quite common law yet to get her covered under my MSP. She is finalizing a divorce and then we will plan to marry in the fall.

So I am just looking for any helpful advice. Anyone have any experiences like this? I want to get her residency, and get her covered by some kind of medical coverage as well. And I want to have the baby in Canada and live happily ever after... :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and might help me sleep a little better!

Thanks!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She should finalize her divorce. Before that you can do nothing. But you can try to buy a private med.insurance.

If she gets a divorce soon and you are getting married THIS fall- there is no problem for you to apply for sponsoring her as soon (30 days before her visa expires) as you marry.

Also I advice you to go to a lawyer just to ask about the best way for her and you if her current visa expires before you can sponsor her...

pendergirlie

Aug 30, 2008
The only problem with private insurance (like travel insurance) is that most of them don't/won't cover pre-existing conditions
Check out this like - it might be helpful
http://www.bcwomens.ca/HealthTopics/HavingBaby/MedicalCoverage/default.htm

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does she have MSP coverage now because she has a valid work permit? Could she get it continued if she extended her work permit?