+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for PR in Canada thru studies | Need help in course selection

maeca

Jun 1, 2015
Hi everybody!
Im planning to process a student visa in canada and I am confused as to what course to take for me to have a PR.
Many of my friends said, taking hospitality mgt is better since applying for hotels, or food and bevs are the easiest way to have a promotion.. by then, it would be easier to have our PR application approved, is this true?

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hey Salman,

Good to see someone who is nearby :). I am at Accenture, Gurgaon.

Regarding the courses, I too feel that we should select something which is related to our past studies and work experience.
Otherwise there are chances of visa rejection.

What about you? You want to stick to IT or explore other options also?

I have figured out some IT related Graduate Certificates and a Master degree as well:

1. IT Project Management @ Seneca College (Sep and Jan intake) -> The good thing about this course is that it has 4 month optional co-op. This would help a lot in gaining Canadian work experience and make some connections in the industry.

2. Information System Business Analyst @ George Brown College (Jan intake only) -> This program has classes only on one evening per week, Friday and Saturday. Many courses are delivered online for this program.
Students work on industry projects on rest of the days (That's what the college representative told me in an education fair I attended).

3. Information Technology Solutions @ Humber College (Sep intake only) -> This is a 2 year course (No internship or co-op), and has two tracks second Semester onwards, Database Development Profile (Which would suit your profile) and Enterprise Development Profile. After this course we will be eligible for a 3 year PGWP and we would not have to worry about PGWP expiring in one year.
But the only doubt I have is, could there be visa rejection? As I already have extensive experience in IT.

4. Master of Software Systems @ University of British Columbia (Jan intake only) -> I think it’s the best program if you want to work in IT. It’s a 16 Month program including 4 months internship.
UBC is a very reputed university and ranked among top universities in the world. Program Fee is also not very high (it’s CAD 20, 000, I suppose). But, its application deadline for Jan 2013 is approaching, so can't apply for this intake.

There might be many more courses available, but these are the ones that I felt are good.
I know the course selection would depend a lot on someone's area of interest, but we have to consider the success rate as well.
I mean I want to go for some business/management courses, but there are chances of visa rejection. So I will go for IT only and see when I land in Canada.

Let me know if you want to be in touch over the phone or email. We can share our contact details.
As you said, "we can discuss and probably go together there". :)

I would like to have suggestions from everyone this forum, especially experienced people and those who are already studying or working in Canada.

Thanks.

Hey Hi,

I have read the whole thread and currently facing the same situation.

BE- 8 years of IT experience. Did MBA in HR but no experience.

Issues-

1.Checked Executive MBA, but they are too costly,hence cancelled these courses.
2. Checked on affordable MBA programs (Alberta and Calgary University, Ryerson, Degroote business school),Degroote replied stating i already have MBA so might not be eligible for MBA program in their school. Another reason for cancelling this course is, my student visa might get rejected as i already have an MBA degree. Please shed some light on this view.

3. Now i am looking for some PG courses that are of 2 years ( so that i can get 3 yr PGWP) but not very difficult as i will be moving along with my 1 year baby and spouse. So need to balance family and academic as well. C

Can you please suggest me some courses in Canada with my situation.

Khurram_1980uk

Star Member
May 8, 2020
Hey Hi,

I have read the whole thread and currently facing the same situation.

BE- 8 years of IT experience. Did MBA in HR but no experience.

Issues-

1.Checked Executive MBA, but they are too costly,hence cancelled these courses.
2. Checked on affordable MBA programs (Alberta and Calgary University, Ryerson, Degroote business school),Degroote replied stating i already have MBA so might not be eligible for MBA program in their school. Another reason for cancelling this course is, my student visa might get rejected as i already have an MBA degree. Please shed some light on this view.

3. Now i am looking for some PG courses that are of 2 years ( so that i can get 3 yr PGWP) but not very difficult as i will be moving along with my 1 year baby and spouse. So need to balance family and academic as well. C

Can you please suggest me some courses in Canada with my situation.
Hi Priyanka,
Im pretty much in your shoes as well. Hav3 extensive experience in Database Management here in London. Looking for a course that will lead me to 3 yeae PGWP and the course should be easy.

Found 2 year diploma program in Human Resource and Management in College of New Caledonia in Prince George, BC.

I have my family already settled there as my brother in canadian citizen and mom amd dad are PR holders so its easy for me to get there, you know what i mean.

Ìts a small town, very nice and college is great too. Fee for the program is around only 14320CAN. I am applying for Jan2021 intake. If you wish to connect with me for discussion please whatsapp me on +447878304890. We can discuss it in details. Thanks

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hi Priyanka,
Im pretty much in your shoes as well. Hav3 extensive experience in Database Management here in London. Looking for a course that will lead me to 3 yeae PGWP and the course should be easy.

Found 2 year diploma program in Human Resource and Management in College of New Caledonia in Prince George, BC.

I have my family already settled there as my brother in canadian citizen and mom amd dad are PR holders so its easy for me to get there, you know what i mean.

Ìts a small town, very nice and college is great too. Fee for the program is around only 14320CAN. I am applying for Jan2021 intake. If you wish to connect with me for discussion please whatsapp me on +447878304890. We can discuss it in details. Thanks

Also I will be moving with my husband, so want to final location which can have good job opportunities for him.