+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for experiences from Germans that became dual citizens

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
Hi all,
I am looking for experiences from people that are German citizens and then went on to become Canadian citizens while keeping their German citizenship (so in short: dual citizens).

I am a German citizen and currently a permanent resident in Canada, as time passes the question of obtaining Canadian citizenship is emerging. Ideally I would like to become a dual citizen, but the reasons for getting the "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" seem quite vague to me and I am not really sure what reasons I could apply for myself.

So I wanted to look for people that went through that process already and got their Beibehaltungsgenehmigung approved:
Was it a tough process?
What reasons did you give?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,
I am looking for experiences from people that are German citizens and then went on to become Canadian citizens while keeping their German citizenship (so in short: dual citizens).

I am a German citizen and currently a permanent resident in Canada, as time passes the question of obtaining Canadian citizenship is emerging. Ideally I would like to become a dual citizen, but the reasons for getting the "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" seem quite vague to me and I am not really sure what reasons I could apply for myself.

So I wanted to look for people that went through that process already and got their Beibehaltungsgenehmigung approved:
Was it a tough process?
What reasons did you give?
The word 'Beibehaltungsgenehmigung' gave me a stroke :-(

On a serious note, I found this post where someone has shared their personal experience and is related to the aforementioned long word.

Last edited: