+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for Answers...

wise941

Apr 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm looking at marrying my girlfriend in Sept. She resides in the Caymans. When we get married will she be able to return with me to live while the PR application is in or does she have to remain outside Canada? Is this the "inland vs. outland" application decision?

Thx

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
She can come to Canada if she does not need a visa. If she needs a visa to enter Canada, she may still be able to come, but it is sometimes difficult to get a TRV (a visitor's visa) when you are married to a Canadian.
'Inland' versus 'outland': if your spouse is in Canada living with you, you can use an inland application or an outland application. If she is living outside of Canada, she has to use an outland application. Outland applications are usually faster, and you can appeal if they are refused. You cannot appeal the refusal of an inland application, and the applicant must stay in Canada the whole time it is being processed.

wise941

Apr 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thx for the speedy reply...

So the obvious choice would be to do an outland app as it would be faster? Whats the average wait time for an approval of an outland app? Fairly simple and striaghtforward. No dependants, just her.

Thx

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It seems her application would be processed in Jamaica. An 'outland' PR application for a spouse takes about 48 days in Canda. Then it is sent to Jamaica, where it takes about 7 months to 15 months.
It can be faster than this. If your application is very well-organized and clear, and you include a lot of proof that your relationship is genuine, it may be faster.

wise941

Apr 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thx again for the reply! Looks like I'll start getting all my ducks in a row and get the process started.

Thx again!